superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:16:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst Superman Stories?  (Read 49243 times)
profjorel
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2005, 05:39:59 AM »

Let's face it, most of the Superman stuff for the past 20 year (its been that long), have been bad.  The worst thing about them are

1- Story arcs that go on forever
2- too many characters who simply reprise all the pre Byrne reboot.  Even the original metallo was more interesting.
3- Lex Luthor was supposed to be smarter than Superman, not a Kingpin clone.
4- Clark and Lois.  I always had a soft spot for the Clark, Lois, Superman triange.
5- Elseworlds.  They all have the same plot.  supes is found by someone else.  Lex is dominating the Neighborhood, worls etc.  Supes stops him.  Sometimes he dies and inspires others.  Been there, done that!

"This is a job for Superman."
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2005, 02:19:17 PM »

I like Imaginary Stories better
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2005, 09:08:40 PM »

Quote from: "profjorel"
Let's face it, most of the Superman stuff for the past 20 year (its been that long), have been bad.  The worst thing about them are

1- Story arcs that go on forever

Compared to the bronze age tales WHo Took the Suepr out of SUeprman and the Sand SUperman Saga which was done in ONE issue in the Iron Age comic 'Kryptonite no more"

2- too many characters who simply reprise all the pre Byrne reboot.  Even the original metallo was more interesting.

Personally some of the character had to go. the Original Terra man with his flying horse was reidiculous and Byrne's version of Mxyzptlk was far more insteresting that the Silver/Bronze age version.

3- Lex Luthor was supposed to be smarter than Superman, not a Kingpin clone.

Given the way he was writen at times Homer Simpsom would have been smarter than Sueprman.

4- Clark and Lois.  I always had a soft spot for the Clark, Lois, Superman triange.

Ended in the Bronze Age on Earth-2; deal with it.

5- Elseworlds.  They all have the same plot.  supes is found by someone else.  Lex is dominating the Neighborhood, worls etc.  Supes stops him.  Sometimes he dies and inspires others.  Been there, done that!
[/quote]

Actually the plots very much more than that. Like the one where Superman prevents the American Revolution from happening or the on where the wins the Civil War in short order. No Luthor to be found there.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2005, 09:43:54 PM »

Quote from: "Maximara"
Personally some of the character had to go. the Original Terra man with his flying horse was reidiculous and Byrne's version of Mxyzptlk was far more insteresting that the Silver/Bronze age version.

Vartox takes the cake for ridiculous looking Bronze Age stuff.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2005, 02:01:08 AM »

Quote from: "John Byrne"
Somehow this is making me think of all the healthy looking survivors I kept seeing on the news about New Orleans, saying they had no way to leave the city when the evacuation orders came. I kept thinking "Walk?"

Thanks for bringing this quote to my attention, SuperMonkey.

It's possible that the people whose work we despise are wonderful human beings that if we get to know them, would be wonderful friends. For all my distaste for Brian Michael Bendis's clueless, arrogant, glacially paced coloring books, there is no doubt in my mind that he is a loving father and kind to children and animals.

But isn't there a wonderful little thrill when you find out that someone whose work you despise is also a worthless, irredeemable horribly broken   oxygen thief who spends their days shunned by anyone with a soul?

Byrne is absolutely fascinating, in a car crash kind of way. Remember his belief that Christopher Reeve was not heroic at all? Remember when he said that "Latin women with blonde hair all look like hookers to me?" Remember when he said that New York looks better without the two towers? Remember the homophobic "Gayman" comic he did in his fandom days?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »

But isn't there a wonderful little thrill when you find out that someone whose work you despise is also a worthless, irredeemable horribly broken oxygen thief who spends their days shunned by anyone with a soul?
I'm gonna take a chance here and read between the lines...I'm sensing you don't like John Byrne. Tongue

Oh and that oxygen thief insult? Hilarious. :lol:

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2005, 04:10:14 PM »

Today I remembered the worst story ever (in my opinion, of course). I removed it from my mind!

"When world collides", the Superman Family/DC Milestone crossover.

Argh.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2005, 03:53:34 AM »

" for tomorrow" to me is the absolute worst. I despair for Superman in the comics for the forseable future except for  for Simone and Byrne's Action and maybe "All Star Superman"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L