superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:02:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Edmond Hamilton Super Stories  (Read 2616 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: August 31, 2005, 03:57:33 AM »

Man this guy practically definied DC Silver Age brilliance. Not only did he do the best Legion Of Super Heroes yarns (Pre Shooter) but he also wrote a lot of Superman and Superman-Batman teamups in World's Finest.

One of my favorites is "Superman Under the Red Sun" where Superman finds himself millions of years in the future with no seeming way of returning echoing Hamilton's own brilliant novel "City at World's End".
And of course "The Last Days of Superman".

Hamilton was a natch for time travel tales as well.  He could wring such emotion, such inventiveness into 8 pages or a great 3 part novel (in one issue mind you) that modern comic books "writers" who can't wring any emotion or depth out of a year long storyline should kneel before such scribes as Hamilton, Binder, Dorfman and Siegel.

What are some of your favorites?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 07:39:49 AM »

Of course, I love that Red Sun story --it just got my vote for "saddest" Superman story.

Hamilton specialized in science fiction and some of his stories were best exploring sci-fi themes, sometimes for the first time in the canon.

I like stories like The First Superman of Krypton (Action #223) where Superman finds old records of Jor-el getting heroic powers --a theme that would be repeated forever in the Silver Age.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:34:16 AM »

Superman Under the Red Sun was a great story. I liked the JLU episode they did based on it.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 04:53:39 AM »

Im rather fond of "The Three Ages of Superboy" one of the many lad of steel's time spanning exploits as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L