superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonComing MIRACLE MONDAY 2017!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The return of Pre-Crisis DC Universe...  (Read 6488 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: August 31, 2005, 04:34:08 AM »

Well, at least in Mike Allred's DC book called SOLO.

If you are a Pre-Crisis fan and you can look at this artwork from the book without smiling, then you are not a pre-crisis fan.

read all about this project here:
http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=85af207bb585a7d8ef6a4c1e5ccc9be6&threadid=42073

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 04:41:03 AM »

The SOLO books are fine. You catch Darwin Cooke's? Now that was a funny book! Smiley

Ah Shrinking Violet and PHANTOM GIRL! Smiley
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 05:22:26 AM »

But where's Superman?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 05:40:27 AM »

He's a big fan of the Batman TV show, so that's a real A-plus in my book!  Cheesy

I feel like kicking myself when I read he almost was on to do a METAL MEN series but it fell through. Now there's a concept that's been mistreated in the past 20 years and unjustifiably obscure even when it was good. Steve Gerber's METAL MEN run was a humorous highlight of his career, as great as his DEFENDERS.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 05:59:52 AM »

Wow!  Nice picture -- it's definitely Pre-Crisis, but can anyone pinpoint a particular time?  We have Rita Farr, Mary Marvel in her red dress, Phantom Girl in her "Big P" uniform, a young John Stewart, a (still) youthful-looking Alan Scott, and the Earth-2 Richard Grayson in that horrid gray and yellow Batman/Robin composite costume.

Thanks for the tip about Mike Allred's Solo.  I still need to get Darwin Cooke's Solo, too.

Solo #1 (spotlighting Tim Sale) had a very nice Pre-Crisis Supergirl story, which actually resolved a dangling plotline when her comic was suddenly cancelled back in 1984!  I was very pleased that Diana Schutz remembered this loose end and provided a poignant coda.

DTO
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 06:06:51 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
But where's Superman?

S!

Right under Ms. Marvel and above Hourman.

it's definitely Pre-Crisis, but can anyone pinpoint a particular time?

None, Mike is just cherry picking his favorite version of each character.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 01:52:40 PM »

Dto, that Tim Sale SOLO Supergirl story actually made me cry and Im manly enough to say - dammit.

Now who wants a sock in the jaw?!
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 02:57:32 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
The SOLO books are fine. You catch Darwin Cooke's? Now that was a funny book! :)

My favorite issue. And Tim Sale's was great, too.
Can you tell me anything more about the Supergirl story? I didn't know it concluded an old story.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L