superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martian Manhunter Through the Ages?  (Read 9560 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 31, 2005, 07:08:02 PM »

Isn't Martian Manhunter one of the neatest members of the old Silver Age Justice League? It is a real crime he was absent for hundreds of issues (and decades) at a time from the organization that he was a founding member of. Though Morrison's JLA isn't perfect by any means, it does treat the Manhunter with the dignity and respect the character deserves (now, if only somebody could do the same for the Red Tornado).

There are some things about the Martian Manhunter that I wonder about, though. For one thing, what happened to his version of Jimmy Olsen, that little sidekick creature of his that was bright orange, Zoot, that had antenna that fired cold?

At what point did the Martian Manhunter go from a character comfortably based on the blueprint of Superman to his modern incarnation as a Silver Surfer-esque alien seeking to understand mankind?

In short, what's the comics history of the Martian Manhunter?

C'mon, Captain Kal, you haven't let me down yet.  Cheesy

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:52:49 PM »

I don't know much about the Martian Manuhnter, Julian, so I can't really help.  I agree that it's worth finding out, through.

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

At what point did the Martian Manhunter go from a character comfortably based on the blueprint of Superman to his modern incarnation as a Silver Surfer-esque alien seeking to understand mankind?

I was always under the impression that the early Martian Manhunter stories weren't really Superman stories, but were more focused on the character's Secret Identity of John Jones, police detective.

Maybe he was sort of a cross between Superman and Batman?

Just speculation on my part.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge will step up to the plate.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:40:09 PM »

http://www.toonopedia.com/jonnjonz.htm
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:00:09 AM »

so was there an earth-2 MM?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 01:22:16 AM »

Most of my MM experience is from JLA tales, and I did like him, though exactly his weakness to fire seemed a little uncertain...by that time, he had become more human in appearance, his first outings seemed to have him look more alien, almost like today's MM...I sure liked him better than Snapper Carr... :lol:
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:52:27 AM »

Quote from: "sikkbones"
so was there an earth-2 MM?

Nope. MM's solely an Earth-1 character...

Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 02:17:05 AM »

wasn't there some speculation as to jonn being RJ brande in legion contuinity at one point?
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 04:56:22 AM »

Quote from: "sikkbones"
wasn't there some speculation as to jonn being RJ brande in legion contuinity at one point?

I think that was in one of the many post-crisis reboot runs.  I don't remember which one, though.  They've pretty much all blended together.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L