superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preview: ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1  (Read 47280 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 08:40:05 PM »

BTW,

Each issue of All-Star Superman will be a complete story. No cliff hangers, no slow as the Earth crust storylines that take 12 issues for a story that could be told in one issue.

As far as the Artwork goes, it kind of looks like a detailed version of the Cartoon:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2005, 08:40:19 PM »

Also well said, Nightwing.

I think I can sum up the basic theme of your above post thusly: Accessibility.

It's nice to have a rich history to a character.  But stories shouldn't be written that require fans to know every picking detail of a 20-year publishing history.  Both new and old fans should be able to pick up a book and enjoy it as a standalone story.  If they want to, they could read the previous supporting works.  But it shouldn't be mandatory reading as that becomes obstructive.

I certainly wouldn't have become a comics fan if I had to endure obstructive referencing up the wazoo just to read a single story.  That's the main reason I leaned more towards DC than Marvel as a kid.  I got really irked by Marvel's endless cross-referencing -- aka self-promotion of their other titles -- nearly every other panel.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2005, 08:57:21 PM »

Well here is a thought, brace yourselves...

I really think that DC should do away with continuity period. Instead take the James Bond approach.

continuity is WAY overrated.

The Superman that appeared for the of the late 30's were different than the one of the eary 40's, which in turn was already different than the mid 40's version, and again different from the late 40's. Heck every time DC told his origin, it changed! There was no real continuity back in the 40's and 50's. You can even make a case for the 60's, 70's and 80's. There were some stories that happen, then they just pretended that It never happen.

Continuity started in the late 50's... kind of, Morty wanted to start fresh every 18 months or something like that.

Just try to make everything from the late 30's to What ever happen.. fit and your head will explode.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »

Captain Kal writes

I think I can sum up the basic theme of your above post thusly: Accessibility.

Arrgh!  Yep, you did it in one word.  And here I sit with carpal tunnel syndrome!  :lol:

Indeed, it's funny to hear fans say the "Crisis" was needed because old DC continuity was "so confusing."  As if it could ever match Marvel's mixed-up history for sheer impenetrability.  

I do think potential new fans are scared off by the increasingly self-referential nature of comics.  I really do think DC did it right in the old days. I didn't have to know all the history to enjoy a story, but when the story was over I often WANTED to know that history.  I had fun untangling all the twists and turns of the GA, SA and BA and the multiple Earths.  But only because I could do it at my leisure.

This looks like a job for...
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »

Speaking of crossovers, I've recently been thinking about what Superman stories would be like if Superman existed in his own seperate universe--the exception being Kirby's "Fourth World" characters. There would still be super-heroes other than Superman (the ones from the Superman mythos), but you wouldn't have an entire world populated by so many of them. Also, there wouldn't be the pressure on writers to "power down" Superman to make other characters look better.

I'm not saying that I don't like the shared universe concept. I'd just like to see how the above scenario would work.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2005, 09:28:45 PM »

Hmmm.  It did happen for a bit.  Superboy.  The only other heroes(so to speak) of the time(I'm not counting Legion of Super-Heroes.  That's 30th century) were Astral Lad and Insect Queen.

Let's look at the Superman family(minus Legion) heroes
Superman
Supergirl(Kara and Lydia-7)/Power Girl
Superboy
Superwoman
Lana Lang aka Insect Queen(this power set stayed with her until Crisis)
Astral Lad
Steel
Nightwing and Flamebird(not the Titans versions)

Now let's toss in some underused characters for this universe
Mark Merlin
Black Orchid
Metal Men

I liked how they were playing with the Clark, Lois, Lana dynamic before Crisis blew it away.  Lana was in love with Clark, but had lost interest in Superman.  Lois was interested in Superman, and thought Clark was a pofessional rival.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2005, 09:45:59 PM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
Hmmm.  It did happen for a bit.  Superboy.  The only other heroes(so to speak) of the time(I'm not counting Legion of Super-Heroes.  That's 30th century) were Astral Lad and Insect Queen.

Except Superboy met other "Superboys" practically every other issue--wherhetr from the center of the Earth, from the stars or situations that strangely mirrored his own.

Fun but silly in it' sown way and hey I like to see gangsters on 'STar Trek" turn up in the Fantastic Four as much as the next guy.

I hope that analogy made sense. :wink:
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2005, 11:36:46 PM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
Lana Lang aka Insect Queen(this power set stayed with her until Crisis)

The "power set" was in the form of an alien bio-ring, which sometimes found its way in the hands of other Superman friends when the comic book title called for it (Lois in Lois Lane #69, Jimmy in Jimmy Olsen #94).  It was quite a powerful item, as it could be used to turn into super-powerful Kryptonian insects.  Just imagine pollinating all the flowers on Earth at super-speed.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L