superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:03:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preview: ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1  (Read 48097 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2005, 03:09:47 AM »

Color me unimpressed.

I had worries about Quitely's art before, when they showed his sketches of Gerard Depardieu Clark, but this...ugh. Superman looks like he's in desperate need of a diet as is! The short cape really doesn't work with this body type at all, and Morrison's emblem redesign is...well, pretty weak. Alex Ross did it better on Kingdom Come.

The preview itself looks awfully thin. We're given eight pages and all it's all setup. Superman flies in to save a space pod, Lex threatens Lois' dad...nothing really seems to be happening. Seriously, I could get this level of nothingness from the regular books. I expected more meat to the preview than what we got. Then again, after Frank Miller dragged Batman thru the mud (AGAIN) with the All-Stars book, I guess I shouldn't be surprised here.

I'll pass, thanks. Not because I don't want to see a classic-style Superman (I do, desperately), but the execution of this looks so lackluster. Matt Wagner got it right with Trinity, and Birthright came really close despite editorial inteference. I was hoping this would be on the same level, but I guess not.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2005, 03:37:27 PM »

The "S" doesn't bother me, I really like how it plays out on the cape...the look of Superman himself, ehhh...
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2005, 02:26:22 AM »

Yeah, Quitely's art is nice and detailed as all get-out, but it just doesn't say 'Superman' to me. Now if they'd teamed Morrison with Chris Sprouse I'd be bouncing off the walls. As is, I'm mildly intrigued by the title, at least enough to pick up the first and possibly second issues.

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »

Quote from: "Defender"
Yeah, Quitely's art is nice and detailed as all get-out, but it just doesn't say 'Superman' to me. Now if they'd teamed Morrison with Chris Sprouse I'd be bouncing off the walls. As is, I'm mildly intrigued by the title, at least enough to pick up the first and possibly second issues.

Chris Sprouse is a wonderful artist and his cute, retro art is absolutely a treat to see and read, but he has a few weaknesses that would disqualify him from illustrating Superman:

1) All his men tend to look alike. This is also known as "John Byrne Syndrome." If all the men look alike, there's really nothing special about the Clark Kent/Superman identity at the heart of this whole story, because...well...ANYBODY looks like he could be Superman! Granted, many artists suffered from that same problem, but it's especially noticeable with Chris Sprouse; compare, for instance, how much his Supreme and Tom Strong look alike.

2) Chris Sprouse doesn't draw good looking women. For instance: Look at SUPREME #15. Here we have the Adult League of Infinity: there's Witch Wench, with her black lipstick, slinky black opera dress and long black evening gloves, and Futurewoman, with her Emma Peel style catsuit. Yet, somehow, neither of them were really "hubba hubba" worthy. Perhaps it's an intentional choice on his part - and there is something to be said for the very grotesque way women have been portrayed as sexual objects in comic books read mainly by teenage boys, giving a comic book store an air of sleaze. I for one, have no intention of defending costumes put on with a glue pot; it's a gross, mysoginistic trend. But isn't there a pleasant middle between Image-Comics exploitation and Chris Sprouse asexuality? All I'm saying is, there's something wrong if you can't make Witch Wench look good.

If anybody from the ABC Line could do Superman well, my money would be on Rick Veitch, whose classy art that is able to represent aspects of comics history successfully, his ability to portray fantasy elements well, his elaborate and very rare covers, and his skill at art deco style machinery and technology makes him qualified. I would also recommend the very skilled Arthur Adams, but I've never seen how he handles technology; he may be all right for Superman or all wrong, depending on his style.

Where's Jerry Ordway these days, and why is he not on Superman? Last I saw, he did some great Tom Strong work with Michael Moorcock (!).

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2005, 03:09:56 AM »

I have a question for Great Rao: Will there be on-site reviews for this story like there were with Birthright?

I'd be willing to do some if you're interested--I have experience reviewing pre-Crisis comics over at the Superman Homepage.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2005, 03:19:08 AM »

Hey, that sounds great.  I hadn't really given it any thought yet, but those Birthright reviews were pretty fun.

Hmm.

How's this:

If I like the comic when it comes out (ie, if it's real Superman instead of Carlin Superman); and if I like your review - then I'll put it up on the site.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2005, 03:21:44 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Hey, that sounds great.  I hadn't really given it any thought yet, but those Birthright reviews were pretty fun.

Hmm.

How's this:

If I like the comic when it comes out (ie, if it's real Superman instead of Carlin Superman); and if I like your review - then I'll put it up on the site.

S!

Thanks. I appreciate that.  Smiley

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2005, 04:46:24 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

S!

I hope so too Smiley

Actual Quote

Morrison: As far as Superman is concerned, we’re not re-doing origin stories or unpacking classic narratives. We don’t go back to the beginning again, we start from where our Superman is RIGHT NOW and get straight into the action - almost as if he's had 20 years of alternative continuity going on behind the scenes of John Byrne's revision in 1985 - on a different Hypertime line, if you like. I'm trying to think of it as the re-emergence of the original, pre-Crisis Superman but with 20 years of history we haven't seen.

From that platform, it's a total update, rehaul and refit. Having said that, we expect everyone in the world to know Superman’s origins and have a basic grasp of the relationships of the Planet staff so, as I say, there’s no time wasted on a retelling of the backstory. We deal with the origin of Superman on page 1 and then we’re off into space for a big, new adventure, the way life’s meant to be.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L