superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exclusive Grant Morrison Interview  (Read 12054 times)
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 07:10:13 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

To be *totally* fair, though, Morrison's ANIMAL MAN was better than it was under Paul Kupperberg, but MY GOD, it would have been better canceled, too.

I can't help but think I've read this somewhere before.  Except with DOOM PATROL instead of ANIMAL MAN.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 08:49:05 PM »

Quote from: "The Spider"
I can't help but think I've read this somewhere before. Except with DOOM PATROL instead of ANIMAL MAN.

It was first written in an online article I read some time ago, and I thought it was pretty witty. The guy that wrote it also was not a big fan of Grant Morrison.

Also, thank you for the correction: it was Paul Kupperberg that wrote DOOM PATROL (another comic written by Morrison), not ANIMAL MAN. I actually feel a little guilty about that; Kupperberg's Krypton miniseries was fairly interesting.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 12:48:40 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Gonterman is considered the "Ed Wood" of the internet, and speaking from personal experience he deserves every bit of his legendary reputation. His writing style is like an express train full of things designed to hurt your mind. But don't take my word for it:

http://www.commuterbarnacle.com/gonterman/

See for yourself!

Thanks Julian, I will look that up someday when I need a laugh.  Can I assume Marissa Picard is one the mysterious crew members who save the Enterprise?

There is a similar-sounding fan fic writer named Doc Nebula who's life is very interesting.

And let's not forget our own prolific Dark Mark!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 05:46:50 AM »

Of special note: in Gonterman's "masterpiece," Sailor Moon: American Kitsune, he interrogates the Power Rangers villains by threatening to give them concentrated AIDS kept in a plastic bag. Words fail me.

Yeah, you got it, TELLE! Marissa Picard's stories are not only worse than you imagine, they're worse than you CAN imagine. I've never been able to find her stories in anything other than Mystery Science Theater 3000 style parodies aimed at masochists. I'd Google her, but I'd rather not tempt fate.

Doc Nebula's fanfiction is strange to the point of cognitive dissonance because it is occasionally very imaginative, has the occasional good idea (the idea of a mutant with a sense of spacial relations: an interesting and well-considered power, as is the idea that Magneto stole his forcefield technology from the Kree, for example), and has high production value, yet nonetheless they are emotionally stunted, self-aggrandizing, totally transparent self-insertions. It's like a well-polished, solid gold piece of Bat Guano.

Doc Nebula (Darren Madigan) though, is very funny, inspirational, and lucid in many of his commentaries. I find I quote him almost without knowing it. He'd fit right in on this board. I mean, he hates John Byrne, how bad could he BE? He's also one of the few people online that give Steve Englehart the major props this criminally underrepresented genius sorely deserves. Just try to ignore the articles where he talks about a dead woman that was rude to him at a party in the 1980s, or where he claims that continuity is a good idea because it allows him to travel to the Marvel Universe to become a hero himself.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L