superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:05:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exclusive Grant Morrison Interview  (Read 12065 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 03:19:32 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Maybe he had a failure of imagination at some points.  But he actually gets who Superman is.  His Superman is very Silver Age/Bronze Age.  Morrison's Superman is once again a Primal Legend of the DCU instead of the whining, ineffective, just-another-hero of the Byrned brow.

Agreed. There's no doubt in my mind that Morrison's Superman will be treated as special, rather than just another hero in a world of heroes. Morrison understands that Superman should be the first and best super-hero. His Superman will have an unbreakable code against killing and be confident, rather than being Batman's doormat (Superman vs. Batman became overdone YEARS ago). Morrison seems to want to not just bring back classic ideas, but also to move Superman forward as well. He's going to give us new, exciting stuff with familiar locales and characters, along with some new ones.

As for Morrison writing the main Superman titles, I'd much rather have him do this. Without the constraints of mainstream continuity, Morrison can go wild with his ideas. Besides, with Johns and Morrison handling the post-IC DCU, I have a feeling we'll see some big changes in how things are done. We won't be going back to any past era, but we may finally get out of the Iron Age.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 06:06:45 AM »

His full run on JLA is collected as TPBs.

JLA Vol. 1: New World Order
JLA Vol. 2: American Dreams
JLA Vol. 3: Rock of Ages
JLA Vol. 4: Strength in Numbers
JLA Vol. 5: Justice for All
JLA Vol. 6: World War III
and
JLA: Earth 2

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 10:02:20 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Whatever else I can say about him, Grant Morrison is indeed a pioneer. That ANIMAL MAN story came out years before the invention of the self-insertion fanfic, heralding the coming of Gonterman and Marissa Picard. Morrison is truly a modern John the Baptist.

I know I could google this or look it up in the wikipedia but I'm interested in this new (to me) genre of "self-insertion fanfic".  Is it strictly a fanfic thing or has the term been applied to "pro" writing before?  And how is it different from, say, Dave Sim in Cerebus, Steve Gerber in Howard the Duck #16, or, for that matter, Jack and Stan in FF, and various DC writers, editors, and artists self-inserting themselves into Superman comics?

Gonterman? Marissa Picard?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 02:40:31 PM »

Not to mention all those Earth-Prime stories. Some on this very site.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 02:56:06 PM »

According to Elliot S! Maggin, he and Cary Bates took it to an extreme in order to prevent such things from ever happening again (see this interview):

Quote from: "Elliot S! Maggin"
The most fun we had doing this was on the JLA/JSA crossover that we both appeared in.  We did the whole 24-page second script from scratch in two-and-a-half hours.  I believe that record stands.  The idea was for our self-promotion to be so egregious that people would be grossed-out and never put themselves into scripts again.  Grant Morrison easily outstripped our egregiousness and as far as I can tell his record still stands too.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 03:33:55 PM »

The creation of Earth-Prime, to allow real world characters like Schwartz, Bates, and Maggin to interact with the DCU super-heroes was inspired.  But they were still just other characters in the books.

Morrison's take on Animal Man was he was indeed the writer of the comics and was essentially the god of the fictional universe he controlled.  That was a very different take than Maggin/Bates, albeit it was a more accurate representation of the relationship the creators had with their fictional works.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 03:41:45 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
I know I could google this or look it up in the wikipedia but I'm interested in this new (to me) genre of "self-insertion fanfic".  Is it strictly a fanfic thing or has the term been applied to "pro" writing before?  And how is it different from, say, Dave Sim in Cerebus, Steve Gerber in Howard the Duck #16, or, for that matter, Jack and Stan in FF, and various DC writers, editors, and artists self-inserting themselves into Superman comics?

Gonterman? Marissa Picard?

Remember later on, that you asked for it.  Cheesy

I'm sure you've probably come across some self-insertion fanfic but didn't know what it was called before. It's a story where a fairly transparent stand-in for the author (usually called a "Mary Sue" or "Marty Sue" depending on the gender) who experiences transparent wish-fulfillment desires, like joining and then saving the Avengers and getting it on with the Scarlet Witch. This is also found in stories where a never before encountered crewmember with an attractive heart-shaped face saves the Starship Enterprise.

While these sort of daydreams are rather normal, nobody finds these interesting except their authors.

By far the most mind-destroying are the ones written by fangirls concerning their idols. In these, they encounter their hero (be it Johnny Depp or Justin Timberlake) who is so idealized to the point they cannot possibly be real, and they have a purely asexual relationship. (end of a very long sigh) Whatever happened to the days of good old fashoined groupie skankiness?

I was being facetious when I compared Grant Morrison's appearance in ANIMAL MAN to a self-insertion fanfic, but his appearance did indeed had the stink of lack of professionalism and self-promotion about it. Perhaps the significant difference is that Stan and Jack's appearances were limited to two cute little scenes where they're thrown out of the Invisible Girl and Mr. Fantastic's wedding by goons, but when Grant shows up in ANIMAL MAN, suddenly the world stops and it becomes all about HIM.

Gonterman is considered the "Ed Wood" of the internet, and speaking from personal experience he deserves every bit of his legendary reputation. His writing style is like an express train full of things designed to hurt your mind. But don't take my word for it:

http://www.commuterbarnacle.com/gonterman/

See for yourself!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 07:08:16 PM »

Here's another Morrison interview:

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/features/112602239631900.htm

This part of the interview might be of some interest:

Offenberger: How is All-Star different from what Marvel is doing with their Ultimate line?

Morrison: As far as Superman is concerned, we’re not re-doing origin stories or unpacking classic narratives. We don’t go back to the beginning again, we start from where our Superman is RIGHT NOW and get straight into the action - almost as if he's had 20 years of alternative continuity going on behind the scenes of John Byrne's revision in 1985 - on a different Hypertime line, if you like. I'm trying to think of it as the re-emergence of the original, pre-Crisis Superman but with 20 years of history we haven't seen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L