superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The GIRL with the SEE-THROUGH MIND!"  (Read 11250 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: September 06, 2005, 07:46:44 PM »

Here's an early Maggin tale starring Supergirl and Lena Thorul:

"The GIRL with the SEE-THROUGH MIND!"

This online scan also includes the two-page summary of Lena's origin following the story.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 04:42:37 AM »

That cover is so Bronze Age, macabre characters were all the rage (more so at Marvel) and look at what Jimmy, Lois and Kara are wearing, it just screams 1970's Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 05:50:31 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
...and look at what Jimmy, Lois and Kara are wearing, it just screams 1970's Cheesy

Personally, I like what Kara and Lois are wearing.

Another solid, entertaining story by Maggin. Also enjoyed Lena's origin recap, since I only knew of her from "Miracle Monday." Thanks for posting this, Rao.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:16:20 PM »

You're welcome, Spiff, glad you like it.

I didn't know anything about Lena either (just what I'd read in Miracle Monday), until I finally found this story.

I'd like to eventually get the other Lena Thorul tales mentioned in her origin recap and add them to the site as well.  I figure if Elliot likes the character (which I'm assuming he does, since she is in one of his novels), there could be something to her.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 09:17:51 PM »

I've got some Lenas floatin' round, chief. Want me to dig em out?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 12:40:11 AM »

THanks for posting that story Rao!

The early Lena stories I've read are some of the most charming Supergirl stories.  Lena is Kara's only friend --in a way she is super-powered as well.  She functions very much like Pete Ross does in the Superboy mythos.  And the connection to Lex adds that extra dimension.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 01:14:36 AM »

Very cool, I like the two page Lena bit better than the Maggin story, but that's just me...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 01:49:57 AM »

someone should update her entry:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Lena_Thorul

I added a link to this story, so adding a summary of this story should do the trick.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L