superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:56:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do if YOU were Superman?  (Read 12020 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 06:31:23 PM »

If I were Superman, I'd do Superman-like things. I would be in New Orleans right now, and I would be saving loads of money on gas.

I would live in the rainforest in Belize and work here. I would definitely take that metal-eating mole for a spin.

One area where I would differ from Superman: he always respected the earthly authorities, even when they were wrong. Not me...if politicians kick people out of their homes, fine. I burn their homes down too. Ignore poor people, and I'd make you poor.

I would be a mean, robin-hood version of Superman.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 06:48:42 PM »

Great post, Julian, thanks.

New Orleans is below sea level.  I would repair the dikes that had been succesfuly protecting the city - succesfully protecting, that is, until 6 years ago, when all funding for the Army Corp of Engineers (whose responsibility it is to maintain them) was cut by the President.

I would bring other political crimes to light.

I would spend a lot of time in my arctic Fortress of Solitude working on Superman Through the Ages!

I'd do a lot of travelling (to every place on Earth, to the other planets in the Solar System, and to other extra-solar bodies) for my own pleasure and to further scientific knowledge; and I'd use my Super Brain to learn every language ever used by the human race, including the dead and dying ones.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 07:04:36 PM »

Changing stories and characterization aside, I can't imagine having the powers and not taking up the same challenges...

as Superman. :shock:
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 08:40:32 PM »

I agree, ever since I was a little kid I've aspired to be as noble, as honourable, as honest, as loving, and as tolerant as Superman. I probably haven't done too well over the years, but it never stops me from trying. It really is amazing how vivid things from our youngest days shape us. Boy, how Hallmark was that? :lol:

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 03:11:13 AM »

My God, can you imagine the DVD parties on that giant screen on the Super-Univac? Though first thing I'd do is replace all the "Captain Kirk" looking chairs with rich, Corinthian leather.

Quote from: "nightwing"
I'd fly every place on Earth I haven't yet been but always wanted to go. And after I'd absorbed all of that, I'd leave Earth behind and travel trackless space looking for new sights and experiences.

Good point, Nightwing - no matter what great sights are on earth, odds are there are some even better ones in space. Mon-El was really on to something with his space exploration deal. Don't forget the alien chicks - Captain Kirk sure didn't!

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I would be in New Orleans right now, and I would be saving loads of money on gas.

Quote from: "Great Rao"
New Orleans is below sea level. I would repair the dikes that had been succesfuly protecting the city - succesfully protecting, that is, until 6 years ago, when all funding for the Army Corp of Engineers (whose responsibility it is to maintain them) was cut by the President.  

The saddest thing I can think of about New Orleans is that it didn't REQUIRE a Superman to prevent or a Superman to alleviate, just maintained public works and an immediate national response.

and I'd use my Super Brain to learn every language ever used by the human race, including the dead and dying ones.

Vivos Esperanto enterne, gesknaboj!

This is an interesting one to bring up, Great Rao. One of my hobbies is Estonian/Finnish culture, and my lifelong dream to be done between now and before I die is to translate the Kalevipoeig (the Estonian National Poem) into English - a job hindered by the fact that Estonian is about as hard as you probably think it is.

Superman of course, would get something like that done on his coffee break.

Oh, and one more thing: If I was Superman, I'd get a hang of that whole vibration between dimensions trick so that I can visit the SCIENCE NINJA TEAM GATCHAMAN (aka BATTLE OF THE PLANETS) and hang out with them, and possibly see if they'll let me pilot their vehicles.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 04:49:19 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
My God, can you imagine the DVD parties on that giant screen on the Super-Univac?

Good point, I'd forgotten about that!  But which films would you watch, and whom would you invite?

Vivos Esperanto enterne, gesknaboj!

Certe. Wink

This is an interesting one to bring up, Great Rao. One of my hobbies is Estonian/Finnish culture, and my lifelong dream to be done between now and before I die is to translate the Kalevipoeig (the Estonian National Poem) into English - a job hindered by the fact that Estonian is about as hard as you probably think it is.

An admirable goal.  Have you read Don Rosa's Uncle $crooge adventure, "The Quest for Kalevala"?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 05:02:23 AM »

Have you read Don Rosa's Uncle $crooge adventure, "The Quest for Kalevala"?

S!

This is such an embarassing thing to admit, but that's actually the source of my interest in that region of the world. The Uncle Scrooge story, and the old early AD&D DEITIES & DEMIGODS book that had the gods of Finland, back when they used to have tons and tons of pantheons in one book.

Believe it or not, I actually read that Scrooge story in Italian: a relative that worked for the United Nations brought me some of the old GRANDI CLASSICI DISNEY, which were these digest sized books as thick as a phone book starring Goofy and Scrooge McDuck or "Zio Papperoni" or somesuch. I couldn't read Italian, but I knew Spanish which is very similar to Italian, and so combined with the pictures I could piece together what was going on.

The other thing I remember about the GRANDI CLASSICIs was that they had ads for Italian fruit candies in back that I had never heard of, which sounded absolutely vile.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 05:35:24 AM »

You mean the Kalevipoeg  :wink:
Jüri Kurman is the only person to translate it into english, so far. Sadly it is OOP.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L