superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Superman FAQ circa 1968  (Read 5668 times)
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« on: September 13, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »

I just ran across this, via Fred Hembeck's web site.

Linked below is a response letter sent to people who wrote to DC comics circa 1968.  It appears to contain answers to several frequently asked questions.  Some of these answers I've never seen before.

Here's page 1
Here's page 2
The referencing page context

Some interesting quotes from it:
In the matter of our characters' ages, we use a good deal of "poetic license."  This is a common practice in comics and has kept Little Orphan Annie a "little girl" since 1924.  At present, we consider Superman to be about 32, Lois Lane and Lana Lang are a year or two younger.  Supergirl was 15 when she came to Earth and is now about 19.  Jimmy Olsen is 23.  Lucy Lane is 21.  Perry White is about 55.

Superboy was 2 years old when he arrived on Earth, and his foster parents, the Kents, were in their 30's.  Most of our Superboy stories occur when the Boy of Steel is between 14 and 17; they don't always happen in the exact order in which they are published.  At this time, Jonathan Kent is about 50, while Martha Kent is a years or two younger.  But they appear younger since a serum from another dimension restored their youth.

I'm a little surprised at the age of the Kents; they seemed older than 30s (Superbaby) and 50 (Superboy).

Whether Supergirl will get her own magazine has not yet been decided.  We tried her out by teaming her with Wonder Woman in an issue of THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, as well as giving her an 80 PAGE GIANT of her own.  We may give her a SHOWCASE tryout in the future.  If that proves a hit, we'll think seriously about giving her her own book.

This letter apparently was sent out over years and revised; I notice the heading uses an old postal zone code (22) in the address (not used since early 1960s), but the return address uses a standard ZIP code (10022).  It appears to be up-to-date with events that happened in 1968, such as the Kents becoming younger, and Chemical King, Shadow Lass, and Timber Wolf being members of the Legion (Adventure 372, Sept 1968 for two of those).
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 06:43:04 PM »

Very cool to look at...yeah, it appears their printed repsonse is way newer than the letterhead...ugh, I always hate to be reminded of the Kent's new "youth"!  One of the few examples of generations of people having a relationship, and it was gone in favor of "youth sells"... Cool
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 10:52:16 PM »

What a wonderful find!

I shall make this thread a sticky.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 11:00:30 PM »

Interesting stuff.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Kal-L
Supermen of America

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 05:26:23 PM »

It must be very interisting, but your links are dead

Up, up, up and away!
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 01:47:27 PM »

That's odd.  The links work fine for me.  Although the first two now seem to go to smaller pictures.  Here they are as larger images:
page one
page two

Maybe this topic shouldn't be a sticky.  It seems like the sticky topics are being ignored by most people, as they are always at the top and people ignore whether they are updated or not.  I was expecting more discussion on this topic.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 03:10:37 PM »

Quote from: "ProfPotter"
That's odd.  The links work fine for me.  Although the first two now seem to go to smaller pictures.  Here they are as larger images:
page one
page two

Maybe this topic shouldn't be a sticky.  It seems like the sticky topics are being ignored by most people, as they are always at the top and people ignore whether they are updated or not.  I was expecting more discussion on this topic.

perhaps, let's see if your theory works.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 09:13:37 PM »

I guess my theory doesn't hold.  Oh well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L