superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:14:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few random Superman Speculations  (Read 24831 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2005, 03:56:08 PM »

Should Superman have the power of super-touch?  On one hand, it makes logical sense given his other senses have been demonstrated to be 'super' (vision, hearing, and smell, at least, and taste by extension of smell).  OTOH, it seems on the surface not to jibe with his actual portrayals since it would seem to imply he'd be more likely to feel pain with such a power.

IMHO, he does have this power and this is how to resolve the seeming illogic of not being more pain sensitive.  Pain is the perception of damage to body tissues.  If the sensation is not accompanied by actual tissue damage then his super-perception of pain isn't triggered.  This must be so else his heightened vision and hearing would similarly make him more vulnerable to pain attacks through those senses, yet things like nukes don't blind or deafen him nor staring into the sun blinds him either.  Clearly, he's invulnerable to those forces so no tissue damage and thus no pain sensation results.  The same would apply to his super-touch and pain sensations there.

He might be able sense super-pain should he actually encounter something that could damage him.  But it must be noted that a certain degree of intention is implied in how Kryptonian powers manifest themselves.  He does not have super-hunger, super-weakness, or any other negative super-abilities.  His costume only has super-elastic properties when he wants it so, and on at least one occasion, his own body went super-elastic as opposed to being pulled apart (he was being sucked through a space warp and this body was being stretched out like the Elongated Man's).  Given that history and canon, he probably is not more sensitive to pain when damage does occur than we are, and this is reflected in the books.  A papercut wouldn't make him react like being gored by a bull.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2005, 07:45:51 PM »

IMHO, he does have this power and this is how to resolve the seeming illogic of not being more pain sensitive. Pain is the perception of damage to body tissues. If the sensation is not accompanied by actual tissue damage then his super-perception of pain isn't triggered. This must be so else his heightened vision and hearing would similarly make him more vulnerable to pain attacks through those senses, yet things like nukes don't blind or deafen him nor staring into the sun blinds him either. Clearly, he's invulnerable to those forces so no tissue damage and thus no pain sensation results. The same would apply to his super-touch and pain sensations there.
I agree completely with this as I've always thought the same. It could also explain he PreC ability to detect electrical discharges as cited on this very site.

on at least one occasion, his own body went super-elastic as opposed to being pulled apart (he was being sucked through a space warp and this body was being stretched out like the Elongated Man's)
When did this happen?

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2005, 12:56:25 AM »

Was his body simply being shown as being elastically warped due to the effects of the space warp?
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »

One might suppose his body was reacting to the space-time warping itself when it stretched, except that none of the other matter sucked through exhibited that same stretching effect.  It all was otherwise broken up into chunks or otherwise not distorted.

I don't recall the exact story or issue, RedSun.  I'll have to get back to you.

Similarly, I'm overdue for a Superman/Green Lantern reference for Great Rao that I simply cannot find though I know I've read the book and reprint.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L