superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Englehart's Coyote returns to print  (Read 8946 times)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 05:52:02 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Dave Cockrum, whose Martial Arts sequences - particularly the Mantis vs. Midnight, made the battles in Avengers #131 particularly vivid ...

GIANT-SIZE AVENGERS #3, surely.  Sal Buscema drew #131.

kdb
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 08:57:58 PM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
GIANT-SIZE AVENGERS #3, surely. Sal Buscema drew #131.

Ahhh, my mistake. Those two Limbo issues in the Legion of the Unliving kind of bleed together in many places, sort of like those two movies about Queen Elizabeth I that came out around the same time.

But in the interest of giving credit where credit is due, go Sal! That WAS impressive.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 04:09:54 AM »

In my personal pantheon, I'd rank the artists as follows:
1. Sal Buscema (a perverse loyalty --I loved his Hulk as a kid)
2. Don Heck --a better artist, some great naturalistic, sketchy scenes --he could draw anything
3. Dave Cockrum --too slick and self-consciously "arty" a la Neal Adams --I never really got into him, although as someone mentioned on another thread, good costume design (maybe the best outside of Kirby?)
4. Tuska --a close fourth with Cockrum --never really found his own style outside of some war books and his early work

But since I haven't read the Avengers books in question for awhile (I found a duplicate of Avengers 112 at a garage sale a few weeks ago and enjoyed it), I can't really comment.  I will say that the characters and characterization in the 70s Avengers you have mentioned are some of the most memorable for me in Marvel Comics outside of the original Lee/Thomas/Kirby/Ditko versions.  Hawkeye, Beast and Wondy: all great supporting male characters that I still think of as definitive of the period.  Never a big fan of the Vision and his problems.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 11:30:49 PM »

brand spanking new fresh interview with Steve Englehart :

We sat down with Steve Englehart for a look back at Coyote, as well as get an update on his upcoming comics and novel:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=0dae5056d7b4e393e84a2a61ded34ec0&threadid=58089

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »

First, it's great to hear that Englehart's COYOTE is doing well and being rediscovered by a new generation of readers. As for me, I've got my TPBs right here. (pats and strokes them lovingly)

SE: They came and asked me for it. After Wonder Con last year there was a party at a local comic book store called Comic Relief. It is one of, if not the major comic book store in the Bay area. Across a crowded room was Erik Larsen, who came over and said he’d like to reprint all the Coyote stuff for Image. It was completely out of the blue from my side of the fence and really welcome. It was nice to have that interest in Coyote.

Wow, has my opinion of Erik Larsen improved dramatically in the past month. Mostly I remember him as the guy that did that really, really ugly version of the DOOM PATROL for a little while before becoming an Image founder, the comic book equivalent of Anna Nicole Smith: a person famous for being famous. Surprisingly, Kurt Busiek is known for his love of Larsen's SAVAGE DRAGON, however, I personally never saw it. The Dragon's best moment came in the 1990s when he guest-starred on Kirby's SECRET CITY books.

Recently, however, Larsen published a series of articles that articulated something I always was saying very well. Further, he deserves nothing but accolades for the absolute CLASS for republishing Englehart's COYOTE.

So, I say, kudos to you, Larsen!

SE: That’s what we hope. In fact, if the reprint books continue to do well and people continue to say they’d like to see more of it, then I would go down the road with the new material from Coyote.

Sweet sassy molassy!

What if after dynamiting a vault, a long-lost TARZAN book by Edgar Rice Burroughs was discovered?

NRAMA: Not to necessarily imply anything, but Coyote seems more…drug influenced than anything you ever did.

SE: I’ve never made a secret of the fact that I enjoyed my time as we went through the ‘70s and the ‘80s.

Wow, my heart just stopped from surprise.

Seriously, is there a bigger not-so-secret secret that Steve Englehart's was pill popping through the seventies and eighties?

I mean, the whole "Approved by the Cosmic Code" was a dead giveaway.

On the other hand, I was not raised in the desert by coyotes on peyote so Coyote is not me.

Coyote is many things, but he does not reek of self-insertion. Coyote has a lustful, whimsical, impish personality that is more likely to giggle than scream if someone were to point a gun at him. Stainless Steve has such a wonderful sense of how people behave and writes all sorts of different kinds of characters that it is difficult to point out Steve's "Mary Sue."

On the other hand, if ANYBODY has a little bit of Mary Sue in them, it is Batman, not Coyote. Englehart created the Night Man and Shroud, both based on the blueprint of Batman (the latter much more obviously), and his AVENGERS WEST COAST included Moon Knight. Englehart by all accounts is intelligent yet cynical, which would make the naive Coyote a poor choice for a self-insertion but makes Batman a GREAT choice for it.

[quote[ "This one's primarily about a book from left field: BLACK RIDER. It's a Marvel one-shot (but see below), part of a Western month coming up in June but soliciting in the next few weeks. [/quote]

Oh...heck yeah.

Whether it's "Go WEST, Young GODS!" or the Phantom Rider in AWC, or heck, even the Southwestern setting of COYOTE, Englehart can write Westerns better than anybody else around.

Stainless Steve getting back in the game is the best news I've heard since Geoff Johns and Busiek are getting on SUPERMAN. Consider it sold, Steve!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 04:53:23 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
The Dragon's best moment came in the 1990s when he guest-starred on Kirby's SECRET CITY books.

And Erik rewrote most of that -- Gary Friedrich seemed to think Dragon was the Hulk, and wrote him that way.

But I still think Dragon is a modern take on the John Broome hero.  It's a great book.

kdb
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 06:18:41 AM »

I agree, it's the most underrated comic book out there right now.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L