superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Superman of Earth-A be allowed?  (Read 15515 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: September 21, 2005, 03:42:58 AM »

While I believe that JLA, All-Star All-Star Squadron, and The Legion of Superheroes, and one-shots shouldn't be considered canonical, this also means that some key figures to the pre-crisis mythology can not be included in the Supermanica. I am not referring to popular heroes and villains that appeared with Superman in these comics, but rather to characters who are directly related to Superman to the point of being inseparable.

Superman of Earth-A fits this bill, but if he were added, his entry should be only about him and not the other characters in the story, in order not to clutter the Supermanica.

Superman of Earth-A

JLA No. 37 Aug 1965: "Earth--Without a Justice League!"
JLA No. 38 Sep 1965: "Crisis on Earth-A!"
http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/1449/400/1449_4_038.jpg

So what do you all think? Should an exception be made for him or do you believe it is not worth it?

Are there other Superman Family characters floating around that for some reason never appeared in the canonical comics?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DrJohnnyDiablo
Supermen of America

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 08:01:28 PM »

I don't have a problem with it.

Fleisher himself made occasional exceptions to the canonicity rules, and as a website with the ability to hyperlink to other online sources of information, I think that we can afford to be even more flexible.

"New master didn't realize it am crime against Bizarro code to make anything perfect on Bizarro World! He is in trouble if his robots change shape of this planet into globe!"-Bizarro-Krypto(March, 1962)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:34:45 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
I am not referring to popular heroes and villains that appeared with Superman in these comics, but rather to characters who are directly related to Superman to the point of being inseparable.

Superman of Earth-A fits this bill, but if he were added, his entry should be only about him and not the other characters in the story, in order not to clutter the Supermanica.

Superman of Earth-A

JLA No. 37 Aug 1965: "Earth--Without a Justice League!"
JLA No. 38 Sep 1965: "Crisis on Earth-A!"
http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/1449/400/1449_4_038.jpg

So what do you all think? Should an exception be made for him or do you believe it is not worth it?

Are there other Superman Family characters floating around that for some reason never appeared in the canonical comics?

I guess I would need more info --like what is the direct relation?  I haven't read the JLA issues in question.   Any other appearances, ever?  Is he "floating around" or just a one-off (2-off)?  What are the compelling reasons that the canon rules need to be broken in this case?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 05:05:14 AM »

I guess I would need more info --like what is the direct relation?

The direct connection is that he is also from Krypton. Plus, Jor-el sent him to Earth by mistake, after Thunderbolt switch the babies. Also he took Superman's name and wears his costume. It doesn't get more direct than that Smiley

I haven't read the JLA issues in question. Any other appearances, ever? Is he "floating around" or just a one-off (2-off)?

He never appeared again, but Crisis means he never will. Many characters that are in the Supermanica only appeared once or twice, but they still count and should count.

What are the compelling reasons that the canon rules need to be broken in this case?

He is another Superman in DC comics during the Sliver Age. The idea behind this project to to document all things Superman pre-crisis. Therefore that means that any and all Superman spin offs during this time should be included. The same case could be made for Ultraman of Earth-3 if he didn't appear in that one issue of DC Comics presents. Both were part of the Superman mythos that people still talk about to this day. Supermanica just would not be complete without the complete pre-crisis story, and that would include this Superman of Earth-A.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 05:10:03 AM »

Then there is Michael L. Fleisher, in the book this is all based on he also included stories from:

All-Star Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Limited Collector's Edition
New York World's Fair Comics
World's Best Comics

- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 07:46:30 AM »

Just to play devil's advocate, the whole of the JLA and Legion titles have not been included in the canon, so it's arguable that the goal of the project is as stated but rather is more something like "documenting the entirety of the main Superman family mythos pre-Crisis".  I have a few non-canon entries burning a hole in my pocket as well, but a lot more in the pipe ahead of them, canonically speaking (and mixing metaphors).

Ultimately, it is the Great Rao's call about opening the floodgates to non-canon material.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 02:30:26 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Ultimately, it is the Great Rao's call about opening the floodgates to non-canon material.

I am not talking about opening up floodgates here, just adding those key characters who are directly related to Superman. It doesn't mean people can add Quix the bunny or make an entry for hostess twinkies. Nor does it mean they can add any hero that Superman crossover with like Spider-man. These things are not directly related to Superman, in other words they do not have their origin tied directly to Superman and they can exist without him.

Superman of Earth-A is different.

I have a few non-canon entries burning a hole in my pocket as well,

Who are they?

- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 02:26:20 AM »

The characters from "The 2nd Coming of Superman" from Superman
Spectacular #5, for starters.

Same argument --creatures who have an entire society based on the worship of Superman.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L