superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Superman of Earth-A be allowed?  (Read 15519 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 03:44:07 AM »

I never heard of Superman of Earth-A, but I'm also a noob. An exception may be worthwhile...Rao's call.

I'm actually not opposed to Legion or JLA being included after a while...but we have a lot to catch up on first. I don't think we should make more materials canonical until we've caught up on, say... DC Comics Presents. The encyclopedia has grown tremendously in the last year or so, but there is still much to do.

Actually, this would also be much easier if my Superman Quiz Book by Bruce Nash (1978) could be considered as a source of information.  Cheesy

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 07:08:08 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"

Actually, this would also be much easier if my Superman Quiz Book by Bruce Nash (1978) could be considered as a source of information.  Cheesy

I don't see why it couldn't be an uncredited source, as long as the info in the entry is backed up with citations from the actual comics.  Something I hope is eventually done for all of the entries.  Not just as an anal rule thing, but because it actually helps the legitimacy of the project.  As well, citations aid future readers who are curious about the actual stories.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 04:07:50 AM »

Should Superman of Earth-A be allowed?

Personally, I don't feel that two appearances in JLA qualifies for inclusion in the Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography.

But I'll open it up for discussion/debate for a few more days (just continue in this thread) then I'll put up a poll and we can all vote on it.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 04:35:01 AM »

Personally, I don't feel that two appearances in JLA qualifies for inclusion in the Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography.

Again, there are countless of entries on the site and in the book of people who only appeared once, so I don't see why that has to do anything with it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 10:10:14 AM »

I guess the point is that the current canonical sources are Superman-centric, whereas JLA and even Legion often have nothing to do with the character or his family at all.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 03:51:47 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
I guess the point is that the current canonical sources are Superman-centric, whereas JLA and even Legion often have nothing to do with the character or his family at all.

But what about the ones that do?
What to do with them?
That's the question.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 01:56:42 AM »

Hmm...an up or down vote complicates things. Because my position is that I DO think that JLA and LSH should be canonical...just not YET. My position is that we still haven't completed the DC Comics Presents upgrade yet, and it will take a little more time.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 02:44:35 AM »

I don't have all the DC Comics Presents issues, so it's really up to the fans here to add them. No one needs to wait for someone else to add an entry, since they can add them themselves. The more people add entries the faster it will grow and the better it will get.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L