superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:11:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Physics of Superheroes  (Read 8084 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: September 30, 2005, 05:00:26 AM »

Anyone read this new book?  Comments?

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2005/09/28/65328

The link is to an article by the physics prof who wrote the Physics of Superheroes.  Contains lots of Superman physics (some of it was exerpted in last month's Wired magazine).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:23:40 PM »

Haha I like that.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 02:54:08 PM »

It does sound interesting, and it confirms what most of us thought: Spidey killed Gwen.

This looks like a job for...
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 03:24:06 PM »

Well...it's not cannon. Smiley

Besides Spidey's web is really elastic, it wouldn't just have stopped Gwen cold.  Tongue

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 03:33:14 PM »

It really depends on how stretchy Spidey's web is as it's fired, which has varied dramatically when drama was called for.  What further muddies matters is that Peter had a cold right as this was going on, making note that his reflexes were a little off.  There's plenty of wiggle room.  

Gwen Stacy's "<snap>" is the same thing as the "jounced the limb" moment from Knowles' "A Separate Peace".  I got an A on a high school paper that mentioned this (even thought I got an "obscure reference?" note in red from my teacher for mentioning Spidey as an example Smiley ).

As applied to Superman, what amuses me is that folks reject Byrne's pseudo physics pertaining to Superman's bio-aura, even though it goes a long way toward explaining how he can semi-realistically lift battleships -and- keeps the garment industry alive replacing tattered capes.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 03:42:45 PM »

Superman would need a variant of the aura to explain how he stopped Lois from going splat on the sidewalk in BR after Lex tossed her out the window.  Being stopped that abruptly by the sidewalk or Superman at that point would be fatal, if some other mechanism wasn't at work.

But Luthor does speculate that Superman has Wolverton's anti-gravity neural network so maybe that's what was working here.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 03:49:20 PM »

The scene everyone knows is Superman and Lois flying together in Superman I, with Lois being held totally improbably.  Of course, I suspect many of us don't pay too much attention to that moment because we're finding the mute button to turn off Margot Kidder's internal monologue.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »

For the record, Gresh & Weinberg chose an impossible 1000 Gs for Krypton's gravity that would be impossible to create a normal matter planet from.

The fact that actual scientific speculation coupled with BR canon tells the gravity is a more realistic 35 Gs or so -- which is possible for a normal matter planet with a brown dwarf mass, 0.253 of the sun's radius -- which gives a realistic density of only 1.27 x Earth's.

As I said elsewhere, their objective was to say it wasn't possible and even went so far as to fudge things a bit to ensure they reached their preconceived conclusion.

The realistic figure makes Action Comics #1 levels achievable.  Current thought and research on genetic muscular enchancements and materials strength limits can push these limits higher, perhaps to the mountain or asteroid moving levels of the early Byrned Superman.

Esoteric, theoretical physics allows the possibility of the uber-levels of the Pre Crisis model.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L