superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Physics of Superheroes  (Read 7889 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 03:54:21 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
The scene everyone knows is Superman and Lois flying together in Superman I, with Lois being held totally improbably.  Of course, I suspect many of us don't pay too much attention to that moment because we're finding the mute button to turn off Margot Kidder's internal monologue.

But those same words sung to that melody is a great song.  I like to sing it myself, albeit with the gender stuff changed suitably since I'm a straight guy. Cheesy

BTW, does anyone recall who sang that on the released single?

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 04:05:22 PM »

I recently came across a version on line sung by Shirley Bassey.

I think I remember seeing Carole Bayer Singer (is that right? The lyricist) singing it once.  And if memory serves, Connie Selleca (!!) sang it on a talk show soon after the film came out.

This looks like a job for...
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 04:09:10 PM »

I just looked it up.

Maureen McGovern sang "Can You Read My Mind".  It's a wonderful love song if sung properly instead of having to endure Margot Kidder's hokey narrative.

Thanks for the other singers, Nightwing, but I think the original singer was still McGovern.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 05:41:28 PM »

Probably the lyricist, a famous 'musicals' guy named Leslie Bricusse, first sang it.  But beyond that it gets murky.  Originally, "Can You Read My Mind" was a pop track -- not too surprising since it had lyrics and all -- and the instrumental version of that can be found on Rhino's Superman soundtrack and (I think) the Superman Special Edition DVD as well.  Toni "The Captain And" Tenille definteily had recorded the "Can You Read My Mind" lyrics to the pop soundtrack, and it's rumored that Karen Carpenter also did a demo (though Toni is the one Bricusse raved about).  But Rhino wasn't able to find copies.  Late in the game, Donner decided to have Kidder try to sing it, then quickly go on to do the "spoken word" bit.  Her spoken word didn't work with the pop music, so it was re-recorded John Williams-style.  Maureen McGovern (and undoubtely a ton of others) covered it after Kidder did.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L