superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Superheroes Besides Superman & the Superman Fam  (Read 27747 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 04:06:41 AM »

Yeah, Batman has been explored in many ways that seem to stretch aspects of the character to the fullest, but the logical story arcs of a Superman have rarely been touched on.

As far as fully realized, I think there is a ton of room for more characterisation for both characters.  Maybe someone like Busiek, who among the 2 current interesting Superman writers, has the best gift for character and voice, will do something with that.

And as for Swamp Thing and what constitutes a superhero, I found this new definition by Peter Coogan, an academic who has written a book called the Secret Origin of the Superhero:

Superhero (soo'per hîr'o) n., pl. -roes.  1. A heroic character with a selfless, pro-social mission; who possesses superpowers-extraordinary
abilities, advanced technology, or highly developed physical and/or mental skills (including mystical abilities); who has a superhero identity embodied in a codename and iconic costume, which typically express his biography or character, powers, and origin (transformation from ordinary person to superhero); and is generically distinct, i.e. can be distinguished from characters of related genres (fantasy, science fiction, detective, etc.) by a preponderance of generic conventions.  Often superheroes have dual
identities, the ordinary one of which is usually a closely guarded secret.
-superheroic, adj. Also super hero, super-hero.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »

Most of my favorites no  longer exist but evil substatutes have taken their place but I enjoy

The mighty Thor- classic version- Walt Simonson's run was my favorite
Iron man - again classic not the guy who shows up now
Captain America-classic again
Wally West Flash when  he first came out when he had to deal with the laws of motion and iertia, limited to soundspeed and had to eat alot
Wonder Woman- although I loathed Greg Rucka's version down to my soul( I wish he would just get out of comics)
Batman- NOT Frank Millers
Earth 2 Huntress
Earth 2 Powergirl
Green Lanterns- I love the concept ( but hate Kyle with apassion)

Julian Perez, I agree completely about Kingdom Come. I was trying to get back into comics and readthe Darn thing and nearly popped a vein. I still get pissed off if I read it ( Kind of like the whole dark age of comics in a nutshell it is) I didn't try anything for years until I returned to comics in a vain attempt to find some as fun and high quality as the TAS cartoons.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2006, 11:42:39 AM »

By the Power of Greyskull: He-Man
For the Honor of Greyskull: She-Ra

With He-Man, there are so many different timelines to choose from.  The remakes were just that and did not go out of their way to remove what went before. Starship Eternia anyone?

With She-Ra, there is only two timelines to concern yourself with.  The comics that came with the dolls(which I have never read) and the cartoon.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:12 PM »

Captain Marvel was imaginative, whimsical, joyful, and fun. Fawcett's big red cheese is a complete antithesis to this eras Shazam! incarnation. Any series with a talking tiger, a super bunny, and an intelligent villainous worm gets my vote!

Rip Hunter: Time Master (DC) is the Silver Age time traveler par excellence. He's truly one of the forgotten heroes.

Kid Eternity (Quality) was innocent fun with a Captain Marvel appeal. I loved his most "dangerous" villains Her Highness and Silk.  

The Spirit (Quality): Will Eisner's Denny Colt ran the gamut of witty adventures.

Plastic Man (Quality): Quirky and sort of Three Stooges like, Eel fought for the right to be surreal.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L