superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:21:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Superman Returns  (Read 12931 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 05:22:30 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
But the real question is: Will this have an effect on the comic book continuity - ie, will the comic book Superman and Lois finally have a child?

I just realized that they probably will HAVE to now.

God, give me strength.

You can just hear the shriek of triumph issued from the flabby, roosterlike throat of some goateed, Metallica T-shirt wearing mongoloid in Reebok sneakers Mike Carlin just hired as the new Superman writer. Finally, a way to shake the pillars of heaven! To leave MY mark on Superman history!

I hear you saying, "Oh, Julian, your cynicism is unwarranted. There are a great many interesting stories that can be told by Superman having a kid."

Yeah, and there are a great many stories that could be told by Superman getting married. Did they do any of those? Course not. Because the super-marriage, as was the Death of Superman, and the birth of a son would be (and it WILL be a strapping son, I guarantee; misogyny is one of the defining characteristics of the modern comics writer) an event driven story dominated by marketing, and so consequently, there's no way they will be good because they are gimmick-centered tales focused on creating an artificial illusion of change to temporarily drum up sales (and probably stretched for 5 months over 4 Superman Titles) before someone comes to their senses and everything returns, equally unsatisyingly, back to the status quo.

On a lighter note, I guess if Lois does have a Super-Kid, that means Maggin's "Lois is Catholic" theory is proven right long after the fact - no Super-Birth Control.  Cheesy

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 01:12:12 PM »

Kal better powerless if IIRC that Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex essay
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 01:44:01 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Kal better powerless if IIRC that Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex essay

OK guys, new forum policy:  please put at least one verb in each of your sentences, so that we know what you're talking about.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 02:56:49 PM »

Dude, he's from the future, remember?  Verbs are so 20th century...

This looks like a job for...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 04:39:33 PM »

Yup, one of Superman's flames having a kid with someone else.  So original in the movies, yup.  You have to go all the way back to Superman III...

<groan>
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »

But that's just it, Bryan Singer says this IS Superman III...
 :wink:

Gosh, didn't Annette O'Toole play Lana?  And now she's on Smallville.  So that kid of hers grew up to be...Clark Kent!??  :shock:

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L