superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:19:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Superman Returns  (Read 12924 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 04:44:17 PM »

Supergirl had the best flying sequences hands down.

They were shot with prime lenses as opposed to a zoom lens (which is a series of moving glass lens) resulting in a sharper picture.

There's moments of such sheer beauty in that film that they outweigh the crap.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 05:20:25 PM »

I've probably said this before elsewhere on these boards, but I always wished they'd taken elements from Supergirl to make a better Superman II.  Specifically, I wish Superman had been trapped in the Phantom Zone for the middle of the film while the villains ran amuck. (kind of like that old mini-series Gene Colan drew).

This would have made for some cool SFX in the Zone sequences, and a more believable reason for Kal's absence.  With due respect to Ms Kidder, it's frankly unbelievable that anyone would give up super-powers to have sex with her, and it's WAY out of character for a guy like Superman.

Also, finding a way out of a supposedly inescapable prison is more satisfying than cheating your way out of a supposedly irreversable depowering process.  Especially when you don't even tell how you did it!

"Supergirl" was no great shakes, but Helen Slater was to die for...perfect casting and a true sweetheart.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 06:28:04 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
 Specifically, I wish Superman had been trapped in the Phantom Zone for the middle of the film while the villains ran amuck. (kind of like that old mini-series Gene Colan drew).

Nightwing - if only...sigh...
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 06:15:16 PM »

But "new take" doesn't have to equal crap. You seem to be saying that at least if Singer's faithful to the old films, we know more or less what we're going to get already. Considering what we almost had to deal with (Jon Peter's de-powered Superman, Nick Cage) I can sympathize. But if all we can hope for is more of the same, I have to wonder why we should bother going. And if Singer feels obliged to follow another man's vision, I wonder what's in it for him as an artist.

Superman has been re-interpreted many times already, in cartoons, on TV, in movies and on radio. All were different, all had similarities, and all were interesting. I guess I just feel that we're about due for another spin on things. And from what I've seen so far, what we're getting is another installment in the Salkind series. A series that, for my money, deserved to end before it did.

I think some people are looking at this the wrong way.  I don't think Singer's intention is to make a carbon copy of Donner's film.  This is Singer's vision.  It's just inspired by Donner's.  I don't know whether or not that's a good or a bad thing but it is a way to go.  Even if it was 100% new and fresh there would still be some unhappy fans.

After all this time this is the one that finally got off the ground (no pun intended).  For better or worse this is the one we're going to get.  There is always a risk of a movie being a turkey.  Batman Begins could've stunk but it didn't.  It all depends on who you ask.  If you ask me I'm excited by what I've seen so far but that doesn't mean anything.  I could wind up thinking the movie is terrible.  I just want to see it before I decide.

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 12:38:12 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
No one here at STTA that I know of is criticising the movie.  As near as I can tell, people are also pretty positive about it; the people on the Superman Homepage forum also seem to be excited about the new movie.

Just so this doesn't look like a landslide, I'll say I'm not looking forward to it.  Nothing I've seen (limited to still photos and managed behind-the-scenes "scoops") has made me the least bit enthusuastic.  I enjoyed the Donner film as a kid but have a hard time getting worked up about superhero movies now (exceptions: see my list on Julian's "Best Superhero Movie" thread).  My love for the old comics doesn't need a hit movie to justify itself.

Far from being excited, I couldn't be more bored by the whole thing.  Here's hoping that when I eventually see it (I know I will someday, if not in a theatre) it has something to offer.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 09:44:29 PM »

I'm pretty jazzed about SUPERMAN RETURNS. Brian Singer hasn't let us down before, the casting is sharp and on target, and with the money being poured into it, the CGI, SKY CAPTAIN style art deco Metropolis will probably have to be seen to be believed. The plot sounds fresh: Superman rekindling his love with Lois after she's moved past him. And my God, the music...

Though something tells me that if the kid is Superman's, they won't exactly need a paternity test.  Cheesy

As for the people on newsgroups being dummies - I don't go to most, being bad at working my cumputor web machine thing.

But nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the modern teenage comics fan.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 02:47:54 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Though something tells me that if the kid is Superman's, they won't exactly need a paternity test.  Cheesy

Hard to say.  He was most likely conceived while Superman was powerless, back in Superman II.  If so, would the powers have been passed on?

But the real question is:  Will this have an effect on the comic book continuity - ie, will the comic book Superman and Lois finally have a child?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 04:08:50 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Hard to say.  He was most likely conceived while Superman was powerless, back in Superman II.  If so, would the powers have been passed on?

But the real question is:  Will this have an effect on the comic book continuity - ie, will the comic book Superman and Lois finally have a child?

S!

And will he speak like a cave-man?

:wink:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L