superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonK-Metal Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:55:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALL-STAR SUPERMAN--they brought the classic emblem back!  (Read 18881 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 06:15:35 AM »

Why does the style look like Jim Lee- a thalidomide Jim Lee? Not that I like Jim Lee but yipes tripes! :shock:
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 02:49:52 PM »

I like Ed Benes's stuff. He's got a good energy to his work. When I first heard he would be drawing Superman I was skeptical because I'd mainly seen his work on Supergirl and Birds of Prey.

But then I saw his take and I was pleasantly surprised. I still can't get into the writing on any modern Superman book but I like this guys art. He is very much a Jim Lee influence but I think his style has enough going on that it's just a matter of time before the agressive Lee influence get's shaken off and the guy comes into his own.

What I find really odd is that they didn't just keep him to work on the new Supergirl title since he really shined when he was drawing Kara Zor-El during those last few issues of clonejello/earthbound angel or whatthehelleversheis Supergirl.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Ar-Thur8691
Superman Fan

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 03:20:46 AM »

I liked it myself. Editing or no editing. Then again, I try to reserve judgement on artist until four or five issues into the series when they seem to find their footing. I DEFINITELTY agree about Green Lantern. The publishing was is so slow, I'm still not sure if Hal Jordan has returned or not.
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 02:50:51 AM »

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/cm_popup.php?i=4694

While we are on the topic of Ed Benes' Superman, his art is sometimes hit or miss with me, but I do like this upcoming cover for Superman #225.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 03:01:29 AM »

Its just not well drawn, the over developed bicep (its just a bulge) has no insertion near the medial radius/ulna, the foreshortening makes the forearms appear totally out of context...airbrushed shading and spectacular splash pages aside, these are not well drawn panels! Cool
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 03:36:48 AM »

Careful, MatterEaterLad, or else guys like Kuuga will come down on you for pushing for more realistic comics art instead of interpretive or even cartoony art that somehow is 'more expressive'.  I don't see it that way, but to each their own.

On my worst/best day, I've not gotten that worked up over anatomical correctness in comics.  OTOH, I learned to accept the distortions of the SA Justice League art like Dillin and McLaughlin so I'm a lot more forgiving of anatomical gaffes.

Ar-Thur8691, I'm not entirely sure Hal Jordan has come back, the sluggish publishing schedule notwithstanding.  The issues that are coming out are drenched in gore and darkness which is a far cry from the soaring space opera and fun of the original Hal stories.  This guy has Hal's name and the book is titled Green Lantern but it doesn't resemble the legendary Hal tales in any other way.  Same goes for the cancelled The Spectre series by J.M. DeMatteis.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 03:44:46 AM »

Quote from: "BMK!"
http://www.dccomics.com/comics/cm_popup.php?i=4694

While we are on the topic of Ed Benes' Superman, his art is sometimes hit or miss with me, but I do like this upcoming cover for Superman #225.

Who knew that Lois and Clark were Asian! Must be from a different Earth.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2005, 03:44:57 AM »

I try not to obsess about that, but it just seems amazing to me that people who talk about poor artwork in the past because there is no airbrush effect coloring on muscles and no giant dramatic splashpage overlook the fact that in many modern comics, that the human figure is not drawn well with believable foreshortening...some "classic" artists got by with unusual poses, others like Swan could just DRAW...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L