superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALL-STAR SUPERMAN--they brought the classic emblem back!  (Read 18878 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« on: September 30, 2005, 05:30:50 PM »

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/issue1_preview.htm

Apparently the Morrison redesign is a thing of the past. Just as well. It was a better idea in theory than in practice, anyway. While I'm still not keen on Quitely's art, the emblem change does help, at least a little bit. The Morrison logo made his chest look even blobbier than it already does.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:25:30 PM »

And not only that, the 'S' is HUGE.

They should have at least used the Curt Swan/Superman Returns size.

It's really starting to look like the delay on this book has been someone in DC editorial messing it up.  I can't believe they let that guy still work there...

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 09:18:23 PM »

The shield was huge in the original Quitely art, when it was still the Morrison redesign. The classic shield seems to be sized to fit where the redesign was:

http://tinypic.com/e66byw.jpg

And if the emblem is one of the reasons the book has been pushed back, why didn't DC deal with it right from the start? "Sorry, Grant, but your redesign for the emblem looks...pretty lame. Let's stick with the usual." It wouldn't have taken much to settle the problem right away. Then again, Quitely's infamously slow, so that probably had something else to do with it.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 09:40:57 PM »

I don't know how I feel about this, to be honest I feel that the old logo fit his art style a lot better than this forced photoshop edit job DC did.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 11:24:50 PM »

Ugh!  That Photoshop-ed logo looks wrong wherever it shows up, even if it's more like the normal logo than Quitely's original.  One of those shots makes Supes' chest look like it was drawn by Liefeld.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 01:49:16 AM »

Quote from: "King Krypton"
And if the emblem is one of the reasons the book has been pushed back, why didn't DC deal with it right from the start?

You forget this is the same company that in the past has actually gone as far as physically publishing certain comic-books, but then pulled them and pulped them for editorial reasons.  DC is just a bit slow when it comes to things like that.  I suppose it's better to have the book be delayed now rather than be pulled out of our hands and pulped before we get the chance to read it.

Then again, Quitely's infamously slow, so that probably had something else to do with it.

I don't think Quitely is the one going through and re-doing all the S logos.

To correct the subject line, the cover-up emblem isn't "classic."  It's emblematic of everything wrong with the Iron Age, and I don't want this to be the Iron Age Superman.  Plus,  I really really hate that extra-thick black line that DC keeps insisting be between the yellow and the red.

I thought the Quitely original never looked like a modification, it just looked like part of his art style and fit very well.  I liked it a lot and am very disappointed that it's suffering the same fate as Jack Kirby's faces did back in Jimmy Olsen.  But at least the artists who did that cover-up work were human beings, who had talent and their own art style.  This is just generic and ugly.

Somehow it reminds me of the Ma and Pa Kent redesign that afflicted Birthright.  In that case too, I think the original idea was better, more true to the Superman legend, and the enforced change diminished the end result.  Yes, I blame DC editorial for Birthright's less-than-stellar sales performance. :wink:

I'm not opposed to all editorial changes (like those that used to be imposed on Frank Miller until after DK), just to the mistaken ones, probably dictated by marketing departments or something.

(Okay DC marketroids, look at Superman #400 - that sold like oxygen tanks in Atlantis, and Superman's S logo was completely different on every single page!  And I don't even want to think about Al Williamson, Will Eisner, Moebius, Klaus Janson, or any of those other artists being subjected to Quitley's fate..)

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 04:43:09 PM »

Shades of Jack Kirbys experience on Jimmy Olsen.

I really think Quietlys art will go down to hurt this book the way Lenil Yus art hurt Birthright. But even so, this seems like a sleazy move on DCs part. I mean if DC wasn't happy with the \S/ design why wait until after the post production stage. Isn't this the reason there are editors?

The only thing I can think of is something I've been begining to suspect for awhile which is that there has been a power struggle going on inside DC Comics for years now and both sides have someone in positions of power to get things published. Which is why Waid and Morrsion can be told one minute that they'll never "get the keys to the family car" and then the next be doing Birthright or All Star. Just like how Giffen was able to be doing FKATJL while at he same time Identity Crisis was spewing forth it's grimschlock bile with cheapheat, shock value deaths of characters he was using.

It seems these sides are divided in a way simalar to the fandom itself. One side worhsips at the altar of Watchmen and Frank Miller and wants all comics to conform to that. While the other would lik to see the sun and the general audience again.

This is speculation so please don't think I'm trying to be Oliver Stone or something, this is just an impression I have based on things that have have happened and things said in interviews.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »

Frank Quietly and Lenil Yus might be a required taste, but they are not bad artists.

People complain that they do not draw every women like a Playboy bunnies and not every guy like a GQ Models.

Frank Quietly seem to have based his Superman on the Wayne Boring model.

see for yourself:

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/superart/wayneboring.htm

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L