superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powergirl  (Read 16907 times)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« on: October 03, 2005, 02:46:50 AM »

Am I reading things right in JSA Classified?  Are they actually saying now that Powergirl is the Earth 2 Supergirl, who survived the Crisis?
That kind of goes against what they've established before, and no one is supposed to remember the multiple earths except Psycho Pirate.  
Is there any other explanation?

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:52:08 AM »

We don't yet know if "JSA: Classified" heralds the return of Kara Zor-L as "Superman's Cousin", since the final part of this four-issue arc hasn't arrived yet.  And we'll probably learn more in "Infinite Crisis #2" since Power Girl was featured on a promotional cover (though it's possible that we won't actually see this particular artwork when the issue is ultimately released).  But all indications strongly hint that Karen Starr IS what she once WAS Pre-Crisis -- the Earth-2 counterpart of Supergirl.

Clues have slowly accumulated in "JSA" for over a year.  First, the ghost of Arion admitted to Power Girl that he lied about her Atlantean origin.  Later there was a crytic palm-reading by a fortune-teller who warned that Karen was "living her life backwards".  Then after going back in time to fight Per Degaton (who mentioned Huntress -- and he was probably referring to the lost Helena WAYNE), Power Girl experienced SOMETHING as Rip Hunter's Time Sphere encountered unexpected turbulence... in 1985!  :shock:

And when Karen Starr and the new Kara Zor-El finally met, Power Girl suffered a bizarre reaction -- perhaps in the merged Single Earth you can't have two incarnations of THE SAME PERSON in close proximity anymore?

But now the Psycho-Pirate is apparently trying to break down Power Girl's mental resistance before revealing the "Truth".   It's probable that the Psycho-Pirate needs Power Girl's assistance in unlocking the Multiverse, and supplying her "real" origin as "Kal's Cousin" (and her innermost desire -- vindication that she wasn't a fraud and acceptance by the superhero community) may gain Karen's cooperation.  Whether Karen's memories of Earth-2 are really restored or merely another illusion inplanted by the Psycho-Pirate is beside the point (for now, at least).

It was interesting to see how the Psycho-Pirate wore poor PeeGee down.  First he confronted her with an old enemy of Arion -- a nod to her already-discarded Atlantean origin.  Then the "Legion of Super-Heroes" appeared, claiming she was actually Laurel Gand, aka "Andromeda".  (That was a nice nod to the fact that Laurel was created Post-Crisis as a replacement for the "non-existent" Supergirl in Legion history.)

Later the Psycho-Pirate bombarded Karen with a bewildering array of possible "true identities" -- Ultraman's cousin from the Crime Syndicate's "Qwaard Universe Earth-2", the future daughter of "Titans Tomorrow" Superboy and Wonder Girl (referring to a recent "Teen Titans" issue), the daughter of Captain Marvel and LUMA LYNAI (a "hidden tribute" to Captain Marvel/Supergirl writer and Luma Lynai creator Otto Binder?), Ursa from the Phantom Zone (from the Christopher Reeve movies continuity -- they even show the "windowpane" Phantom Zone), and finally the Kandorian MOTHER of Nightwing and Flamebird!  

The factual absurdities and inconsistancies abound -- how could Captain Marvel mention the wizard Shazam without transforming back to Billy?  How could Luma Lynai survive under a yellow sun?  Ursa and the "windowpane" Phantom Zone NEVER appeared in the mainstream DC comics continuity, while Nightwing and Flamebird weren't brothers.  But this confusing rapid-fire overload of possible "parents" succeeded in emotionally overwhelming Karen Starr.  And for fans it was wonderful seeing some "old friends" once more -- Luma looked particularly nice in her cameo.

By next month, we should know whether Power Girl is indeed "Superman's cousin from Krypton".   Cheesy

But the REAL question is whether Power Girl will survive Infinite Crisis.   :cry:

DTO
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 10:18:57 PM »

I suspect they are going for the explanation that Power Girl is the alternate of Supergirl.  How this will be explained to the general public I don't know.  I'm doubtful DC is bringing back the multiverse, but perhaps they will bring back the memory of the multiverse to the ones who were mainly involved, meaning the Earth-S, Earth X, Earth 2 and Earth 1 superheroes.

Vic George 2K6
Superman's Pal

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 03:59:07 AM »

I still don't like Powergirl's "hole-in-the-chest" costume, even as artists seek to make that hole even bigger just to show off her chest.  Her mid-1980s costume is still the best.

VIC GEORGE, Westfield, MA, USA
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 04:16:18 PM »

Quote from: "Vic George 2K6"
I still don't like Powergirl's "hole-in-the-chest" costume, even as artists seek to make that hole even bigger just to show off her chest.  Her mid-1980s costume is still the best.

I agree the hole seems to get bigger. I just don't see why they don't fill it in with E-2 Superman's insignia.  After all, she is Supergirl of E-2.  

Another observation, some artists draw her like a man. Bart Sears, I believe, first started drawing her with manly features. In IC, Phil Jimenez drew PG as a man with breasts. It was creepy.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 11:36:34 PM »

Quote from: "Michel Weisnor"

I agree the hole seems to get bigger. I just don't see why they don't fill it in with E-2 Superman's insignia.  After all, she is Supergirl of E-2.  

Another observation, some artists draw her like a man. Bart Sears, I believe, first started drawing her with manly features. In IC, Phil Jimenez drew PG as a man with breasts. It was creepy.

Power Girl doesn't wear the "S" logo since she wanted to distinguish herself from her cousin Superman...

Vic George 2K6
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 12:47:35 AM »

Let me guess...the hole in the chest is supposed to make Powergirl look like a P if you position her correctly?

VIC GEORGE, Westfield, MA, USA
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 01:22:57 AM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Quote from: "Michel Weisnor"

Power Girl doesn't wear the "S" logo since she wanted to distinguish herself from her cousin Superman...

I'm surprised, now, she doesn't wear the S, considering her cousin was killed violently in IC. It would be a nice gesture of love and respect.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L