superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neal Adams to Draw All-Star Superman  (Read 10269 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: October 03, 2005, 11:06:37 PM »

well, an alternate cover for DC’s All-Star Superman No. 1 anyway  Tongue

Brace yourself for his massive ego attack, and read on Wink

The report on Adams’ website reads:

Neal Adams, cover artist of choice, is back in the saddle:

drawing the first alternate cover for a hot new DC title. He’s revisiting familiar ground: crafting iconic covers for the Man of Steel. All-Star Superman, the much anticipated Grant Morrison/Frank Quitely take on this classic icon, will feature an alternative cover by Neal for issue1, except this alternate cover will be harder to find as only one of nine issues to press will feature Neal’s cover.

Historically, Adams’ covers have driven sales of books to enthusiastic collectors, spurring yet more covering gigs for Adams. These covers cemented Neal’s place as one of the great comic book cover designers of all time. Alternate covers over at Marvel have driven just released books to $20 to $26 per copy with his alternate covers.

With Superman who can say? Neal only says that the same work went into designing these new covers that made the classic ones famous. “Maybe even a skooch better,” winks Adams. We’ve included partial layout ideas of Neal’s for your perusal!

How powerful an incentive can a cover be? Hard to say. Neal says, “Please please please if you want to get that alternate cover… tell your dealer now. Put in your order. It will be so hard to be at the New York Con in February trying to explain why ‘you’ weren’t able to get a copy of that cover for your collection.” There will only be one of the alternates to 9 of the regular issue which by he way is an incredibly fresh take on Super the Man, by Morrison and Quitely.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 03:09:39 PM »

This is what I love about DC. They'll get a guy like Neal to do the cover but it's Quietly who gets to do the inside. ..and gee those styles just mesh SO well, it certainally will not be a jarring transistion.   :roll:

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 03:18:23 PM »

They'll get a guy like Neal to do the cover but it's Quietly who gets to do the inside. ..and gee those styles just mesh SO well, it certainally will not be a jarring transistion

No different from when Neal did those Superman covers back in the 1970s.  Great covers by Neal, then great inside art by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson.

Hopefully Mr. Adams' current work is at least as good now as it was back then.  I'll be curious to hear what our resident Neal Adams expert/fan extraordinaire, Nightwing, thinks of the cover once it's unveiled.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 03:42:17 PM »

See I would have to disagree with you there because I think Neal and Swandersons styles would actually compliment each other better than Neal and Quietly.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:35:09 PM »

Hey, it'll be just one more way this book reminds us of the Bronze Age, when we'd all snatch up whatever book Neal drew the cover to, only to open it up and find someone else's art on the inside.  :cry:  

We all got used to that, just as we got used to having things on the cover that never happened in the story!  (And once every blue moon, there'd be Neal art on the inside, too, which kept hope alive.  I'll never forget how awesome it was to stumble across a *giant-size* Adams-drawn Avengers story in issue #93.  If a train had hit me while reading that book, I'd have died happy. :-))

But if you read the fine print, only one in every ten issues of AS Superman #1 will feature the Adams cover.  So odds are I won't luck into one.

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 05:00:13 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Hey, it'll be just one more way this book reminds us of the Bronze Age, when we'd all snatch up whatever book Neal drew the cover to, only to open it up and find someone else's art on the inside.  :cry:  

I've always hated that. Even back then. It's like false advertising to me.

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 05:18:15 PM »

Hey, "Strength" was like that.  They tried to hook you in with Alex Ross covers only to find some cheapo, crap artist doing the actual insides.

I agree.  If Adams isn't doing the insides then it's a kind of false advertising.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 05:50:54 PM »

Anything to keep Neal away from the gradual descent into madness, and anything featuring an old-school great like him works for me.

Quote from: "Kuuga"
This is what I love about DC. They'll get a guy like Neal to do the cover but it's Quietly who gets to do the inside. ..and gee those styles just mesh SO well, it certainally will not be a jarring transistion.

Boy, you said it, Kuuga.

The most irritating example of this in recent times that I can think of is in IDENTITY CRISIS where they had "good girl" artist Michael Turner do the cover art. WHY?

Now, I can kind-of/sort-of understand the logic behind, for instance, Frank Cho being assigned to do SHANA THE SHE-DEVIL or the "Tess of the Tigers" story in the TESLA OF MANY WORLDS special - the guy can draw women, albeit rather overstated, pneumatic ones. But Michael Turner's assignment to IDENTITY CRISIS is a naked marketing ploy. That would not be bad in and of itself if not for that series's other obvious attempts to call attention to itself in ways apart from actual quality of the work: "shocking" character death, a New York Times Bestseller author as writer, and enough hype to choke a humpback whale.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L