superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legion Companion  (Read 2852 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: October 05, 2005, 05:29:50 AM »

I saw a copy of this in my local dingy comic shoppe.  Does anyone here have one?  It seems more covetable than the more recent JLA Companion, with tons of interviews with and profiles of the artists and writers, including a natty photo of a young John Forte, etc.  A very fun, thorough resource, with lots of Dave Cockrum character designs and lost art, for those who like that sort of thing (Dave Cockrum, that is).  I don't remember discussion of this book here, but then it was published in 2003.  If anyone can recommend it, I'll probably pick one up through Amazon (I'm sure it's cheaper there than in the shoppe, where the list price is $38 Canadian).

The Legion Companion
by Glen Cadigan
224 pgs
2003 by TwoMorrows Press

http://www.twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=190

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 06:34:51 AM »

They have another Legion related book as well:

Best of the Legion Outpost

160 page trade paperback - Edited by Glen Cadigan
Originally published in 1972 as the official newsletter of the Legion Fan Club, the Legion Outpost soon became the premier Legion of Super-Heroes fanzine of the 1970s, featuring contributions by fans, pros, and soon-to-be pros. Launched at a time when the future of the Legion of Super-Heroes was in doubt, the Legion Outpost was at the center of fan-based efforts to revive the title, and was largely responsible for its rescue from obscurity, leading to it becoming a runaway best-seller! This trade paperback collects the best material from the hard-to-find fanzine, including rare interviews and articles from creators such as Dave Cockrum, Cary Bates, and Jim Shooter, plus never-before-seen artwork by Cockrum, Mike Grell, Jimmy Janes and others! It also features a previously unpublished interview with Keith Giffen originally intended for the never-published Legion Outpost #11, plus other new material! And it sports a rarely-seen classic 1970s cover by Legion fan favorite artist Dave Cockrum!

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=260

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

I saw a copy of this in my local dingy comic shoppe.  Does anyone here have one?  It seems more covetable than the more recent JLA Companion, with tons of interviews with and profiles of the artists and writers, including a natty photo of a young John Forte, etc.  A very fun, thorough resource, with lots of Dave Cockrum character designs and lost art, for those who like that sort of thing (Dave Cockrum, that is).  I don't remember discussion of this book here, but then it was published in 2003.  If anyone can recommend it, I'll probably pick one up through Amazon (I'm sure it's cheaper there than in the shoppe, where the list price is $38 Canadian).

The Legion Companion
by Glen Cadigan
224 pgs
2003 by TwoMorrows Press

http://www.twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=190

Late coming in on this one but yeah....I have a copy of it.   Though I admit I didn't pay for it...got mine for art contruibutions ...... several of the Steve Lightle pics come from my collection.

It is a pretty good book, in my opinion and gives a good look at how art changed over time.    Pretty good.

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L