superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman Returns" video game by Electronic Arts  (Read 7856 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: October 05, 2005, 10:15:05 PM »

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 4, 2005-- Action/Adventure Game Brings Metropolis to Life on Next Generation and Current Generation Platforms in Conjunction With 2006 Summer Movie Release

Electronic Arts, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Comics announced today that SUPERMAN RETURNS: THE VIDEOGAME is scheduled for a summer 2006 release in conjunction with the release of Warner Bros. Pictures' film Superman Returns on June 30, 2006. The game, which features storylines from both the movie and more than 60 years of comic book content, is being developed by Electronic Arts-Tiburon in Orlando, Fla., the award-winning studio that develops Madden NFL, the most popular sports franchise in videogame history. SUPERMAN RETURNS: THE VIDEOGAME will be released on the Xbox 360(TM) from Microsoft, as well as current generation platforms.

"We have assembled world class talent at EA Tiburon to deliver this blockbuster experience and we are thrilled to team up with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Comics and have the opportunity to demonstrate our creative and technological expertise in the action/adventure category," said Steven Chiang, vice president and studio general manager, EA Tiburon. "We are creating a game that allows players to experience a real sense of flying, and master Superman's unrivaled super hero powers in order to save Metropolis. Only Superman can meet challenges of this scale."

Gerhard Florin, EA's Executive Vice President and General Manager for International Publishing continued, "Bringing Superman Returns to life in a game of this magnitude that mixes the comic lore with some movie elements delivers a powerful and emotional gaming experience to consumers. X05's worldwide stage is the perfect place to announce the return of this incredibly strong super hero to the interactive space."

"The powerful Superman Returns concepts will be rightfully brought to gamers with a strong creative vision supported by compelling new technology so they can experience The Man of Steel's superpowers firsthand," said Jason Hall, Senior Vice President for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "We are excited to be working with the very talented people at EA and together we intend to give the game buying audience an opportunity to jump into the life of one of the most popular DC Comics super heroes of all time."

"EA is capturing the rich mythology of Superman and the visual excitement of our latest film to build a uniquely thrilling videogame for our fans," said Paul Levitz, DC's President & Publisher. "We are all working together to bring players as much of the Superman experience as possible."

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:51:38 PM »

It's amazing how they just said a whole lot of nothing!

EA are best known for their amazing Sports Games.

Most Superman video Games have been pure crap (the arcade one with Superman red and Blue was neat as a child), so hopefully this one will break that streak.

Up, Up, and Away!

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 02:02:19 PM »

It's amazing how they just said a whole lot of nothing!

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing.  But we did learn that:
    There's a
Superman Returns game in the works;
It's being done by Electronic Arts;
It will incorporate bits from the movie and bits from the comic books;
WB, DC, and bluetights.net are all pushing it.[/list]
Here's a little more technical info on the game:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/656/656117p1.html

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 05:47:18 PM »

That link made it sound promising, the Mecha-Metallo part made me laugh.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 08:34:43 PM »

It also depends on what they mean by "comic books."  Hopefully, they mean pre-Byrne.

If EA actually gives Superman a big ol' Arctic Fortress of Solitude, where you have to lift the giant-sized arrow-shaped airplane marker and use it to open the door, and the Fortress is chock-full of gadgets, and an interstellar menagerie, and a communications center, and statues, and a Bottle City of Kandor that you can visit, a PZ projector, etc; the game could be pretty awesome.

Other things I'd like to see in the game:  a secret closet in Clark's apartment, a hollow Daily Planet globe containing a back-up Fortress, maybe even a Phantom Zone implementation as part of the game play.

Maybe Brainiac comes to Earth and starts shrinking cities and you have to stop him and enlarge the ones he's gotten.

Things like that.

So there's potential.

S!

RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 02:48:28 PM »

All I can say is, this better be Spider-Man 2 quality or better, or POW!!!

Either that or I give up on Superman videogames forever. Sad

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 06:14:45 PM »

There's a review up at gamespot or IGN. I forget which. It looks pretty promising. Superspeed flight. Lifting huge oblisks and such. I just hope the story and gameplay hold up to the preposed features
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 10:04:49 PM »

I read somewhere recently that the release date for this game has been postponed.  Rather then coming out to coincide with the theatrical release of the movie, it's going to come out the same time as the DVD.

S!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L