superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chat with Elliot S! Maggin this Sunday October 9th  (Read 14733 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 03:30:00 AM »

One Epic Story of Bizarro-Comet the Super-Horse, coming up...

*begins typing obsessively...*

I actually do have outlines for about seven Stories Supreme...but will I ever finish them? It remains to be seen...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 10:12:24 PM »

It seems odd that virtually every writer who gets signed up to write Superman these days makes sure to cite Maggin's work as a big influence on theirs. But few of them seem to show it in their work, and DC isn't interested in signing up the "original".
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2005, 12:57:01 PM »

Great chat, Beppo. Now if you can lure old ESM here so we can have our way with him.

You know in a good natured adulation kida way... :wink:
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2005, 12:15:11 AM »

Quote from: "Continental Op"
It seems odd that virtually every writer who gets signed up to write Superman these days makes sure to cite Maggin's work as a big influence on theirs. But few of them seem to show it in their work, and DC isn't interested in signing up the "original".

DC is like certain well-known politicians.  They just say what will make them look good to the public, but in reality they ignore it all and do what they were going to do anyways - usually the direct opposite of what they were saying.

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Great chat, Beppo. Now if you can lure old ESM here so we can have our way with him.

Maybe if we start a thread called "Who can save Superman now? ELLIOT S! MAGGIN!" he'll amaze us all be coming by and posting incredible articles all the time.

You never know, stranger things have happened...

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2005, 06:37:51 AM »

Quote from: "Continental Op"

You know, I've noticed this too, and it's very interesting because generally when a writer says they are "inspired by the earliest incarnation of a character" it means they intend to do something totally divorced conceptually from what the series is supposed to be. Remember when Frank Miller started saying how DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was inspired by Bob Kane (not Bill Finger, naturally)? You know, I think Bob Kane had Batman do detective work once in a while, Frank.  Cheesy  If somebody can be accused of going back to the Finger/Kane Batman, it would be Englehart, who mentioned - of all people - Julie Madison, Batman's first fiancee, and had her affect his current characterization.

The moment this phenomena crystalized for me was when Chuck Austen (now there's a fish in a barrel target) when he took over ACTION COMICS stated that his chief inspiration was Siegel and Shuster. HUH?

Generally, Chucky, if people are inspired by something, they use aspects of that person in their work. For instance, Roger Stern - the voice of reason in the Mike Carlin nuthouse - was inspired by George Reeves, and wrote Superman with a lot of George's distinctive mannerisms and style. Stern's "Panic in the Sky," despite uneven art and really goofy cameos by Deathstroke the Terminator (!) and the Matrix Supergirl, was one of the few Super-works to emerge from that period that wasn't slightly nauseating, with Superman played accurate to character as resourceful and intelligent, a good general for superheroes.

If we go by this criteria of determining influence (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery), the single greatest influence on Austen's work is Tomas de Torquemada.  :twisted:

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2005, 08:29:40 PM »

Elliot S! Maggin: Not likely to be writing any comics anytime soon -- except for a graphic novel I'd like to do based on a screenplay I wrote with Ken Penders.

The SONIC THE HEDGEHOG guy that is the sworn archnemesis of David Gonterman? Hey, maybe Gonterman, Chuck Austen, and John Byrne should form a Legion of Comics Doom!

I for one, would love to see Maggin and Byrne duke it out with laser swords, like at the end of HOT SHOTS: PART DEUX.

Elliot S! Maggin: I did the 7th or 8th issue of "Peter Parker," a few "Spidey Super-Stories" for Electric Company, Hulk and Iron Man. Also did some X-Men animation.

Well, that accounts for why the nineties X-Men cartoon was so fabulous. They had the sense to go and get some good talent, like Mr. Maggin!

ragnarok_2012: Why was Schwartz afraid of Alan Moore?

Anyone that asks this hasn't seen Alan Moore.  :wink:  

Elliot S! Maggin: Doesn't Steve Lombard kind of remind you of Dean Cain?

Ooooh! Dean Cain, YOU GOT SERVED, Maggin style!

bugmenot: Was there a particular inspiration for King Kosmos? Ever any plans for him beyond being a Superwoman villain?
Elliot S! Maggin: I was never much impressed with King Kosmos. He was kind of half an idea. Sort of like the requisite villain to give the story some conflict.

Any...particular point of inspiration? Hmmm?

http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/images/b/b1/Kang_001.jpg

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L