superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonComing MIRACLE MONDAY 2017!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW Superman TPBs for Jan/Feb 2006 You might want to sit ...  (Read 7435 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 06:35:30 PM »

The question is will you double dip and buy it now that you have the stories in the $10 showcase version?

Also notice the SUPERMAN CHRONICLES VOL. 1 TPB which is the same as the Batman version.
It seems pointless to release that, with the reduced archive for $20 that they released.

DC just loves milking their comics by reprinting them time and time again in different editions and collections.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 11:15:09 PM »

Hey, it's not just DC...Marvel practically invented reprints.  Heck, when I was growing up in the 70s it seemed like half the Marvel books on the stands were reprints of stuff from the 60s.  Every few months or so, even the "new" monthlies would fall behind schedule and you'd find yourself with a reprint wrapped in a new cover.  I always had the impression that Marvel was the kind of outfit that had a lot of ambition and very little ability to back it up.

Anyway, the Superman Chronicles will be mostly content from the Action Archives, and that (newly) cheap one is all "Superman," so there's not a lot of duplication (This suits me fine, by the way, since I never bought the Action Archives and this will be a nice alternative).

I don't know what I'll do about the MOT Archive.  I'm a huge SA Superman fan, but it's hard to justify the expense after Showcase.  It'll all depend on my finances come next year.  Maybe I'll get it and give the Showcase to my kids when they're old enough.

Frankly, there's just something about the Showcase format that appeals to me on a fundamental level.  I grew up on Super-Spectaculars (100 pages for 50 cents!) so to my mind the bigger and cheaper, the better.  Having museum-quality archives is nice I suppose, but ultimately comics were made to be read and read fast, wherever you happen to be.  I never folded mine or stuck 'em in my pocket, but it was nice that you could, and not feel too guilty.  Sort of like baseball cards...when I was a kid if you got duplicates you didn't seal 'em in lucite and try to find a buyer who needed them...you clothes-pinned 'em to your bicycle wheel and let them make a "motor" sound when the spokes hit them.

I may be only fan around who thinks the move away from pulp paper was a dark day for comics.  :?

This looks like a job for...
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 12:30:59 PM »

Any link to the image of Man of Steel Archives 2?

Thanks!

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 01:42:09 PM »

Nightwing - Im with you ~ PULP RULES~
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L