superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #1 - At last they return  (Read 106032 times)
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 03:09:18 AM »

Spoilers for Infinite Crisis #1:

Basically the DCU has gotten screwed up, OMACs are attacking, a bunch of the Freedom Fighters get killed; Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman have serious problems with each other; and mysterious people are watching behind some sort of glassy monitor wall.  These mysterious people can't stand what the DCU have become.  They're Kal-L, Earth-2 Lois, Earth-Prime Superboy, and Earth-3 Alexander Luthor... and the Earth-2 Superman smashes through the glass (or whatever) wall and goes, "THIS looks like a job for SUPERMAN."

Oh, and Earth-2 Superman's chest symbol isn't the one shown on Jim Lee's cover.

Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 04:51:27 AM »

I don't know. I'm sorry but I have no faith left in DC Comics whatsoever.

None.

They used it all up a very long time ago.

The time for talk, promises, and year long storylines is over. IF, very big IF, they want to change direction away from the darkfic stuff then show me the proof. Put up or shut up. You can't wave something like this in front of my face while you're still publishing non-heroic, heartless and hateful crap like All Star Batman and Robin.

I'm just waiting for them to have Dr. Light do something heinous to elderly Lois Lane or have Superboy Prime get mutilated by Captain Boomerang or some other second string villan they want to make seem cooler by turning him into a serial killer ,or turn Earth-2 Superman into somekind of parody on his era and it's values.

I'll admit though, the scene with Superman and the others behind the glass by itself is actually pretty cool.

If this whole entire bloated multi-wackado thing is a change in direction away from what they have been doing and into a brighter spirit then that's great but I will believe it when I see it and not one single second sooner. If or until that day comes, DC will not get a penny from me. I already believe a man can fly DC, the real question is do YOU?

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 11:49:04 AM »

LOL.. (Minor rant upon seeing E-2 Superman)

I think what Pisses off most Pre-Crisis Fans is that E-2 Lois refers to E-2 Supes as "Clark" and not "Superman".. (that's so sweet, and sincere)

HAH!

That's always the way it should be

I remember crisis when Kal-L throught Lois was lost in the Anti-monitor's implosion and all of a sudden "Clark" was called and when he turned around it was Lois of Earth-2.. If that had been "Superman" called out, I would have blown my brains out.

"I nearly PUKED to d*th in disgust" when Lois calls Superman "Superman" after the secret was out in "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow"

That's like my girlfriend reffering to me as "Rugal 3:16" instead of my real name EVEN IF my real personality is more potent in"Rugal 3:16"

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 01:04:21 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Yeah but how long before Kara gets raped for a cheap sales spike or as somekind of pretenious statement about our "post 911" world? Heck they couldn't even bring Kara back without giving her attitude and having her look up to Wonder Woman instead of Superman.

S:TAS Kara certainly has an attitude, and a whole lot of people liked it.  It's a question of just what attitude.  And tell me, assuming:

- Supergirl doens't check out Superman with a super-telescope
- Superman doesn't really want Supergirl living with him and Loiis
- Ma and Pa Kent aren't taking on any more Super-boarders

where would this admiration of Superman come from?  Realsitically, the pre-Crisis "hmmm no, leave Kara in an orphanage as a secret" Superman wasn't especially admirable, either.  Obviously, the motivation there was to not change the dynamic of Superman too much, but real family changes should lead to real interpersonal changes and sometimes, it will be messy.  It's not an easy problem, and I liked the Paradise Island idea (if not the execution, necessarily).
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 08:49:51 PM »

I dunno...the idea of the original Superman returning reduced me to drooling fanboy status (instead of jaded cynical comic reader) especially since, in VILLAINS UNITED, there are....

(Not sure of the protocol, so...)

***SPOILERS****

Don't read if you don't want to know....

....There are TWO Lexes, and one, I think, is the Silver Age Earth-1 Lex Luthor. So we got Superman-2 and Lex-1 in the post-Crisis universe.
And it looks like Lex-1, not fatcat billionaire postLex, is the guy behind the Society---which makes sense, since the last time we saw him he was leading the villains in COIE. ---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 09:04:43 PM »

OMG!  You're the Al Schroeder III?!!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

I may not agree with all you've written in your letters and articles but you are a legend to me in superfandom.

And thanks muchly for those spoilers.  What's the source?  How reliable are those spoilers?

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 09:32:17 PM »

VILLAINS UNITED forum on DC Comics.  http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000045850&tstart=0
---which agrees with what other forums are saying.  The identity of the "alternative" Lex is not really nailed down, but consider that Alexi Luthor died and wasn't bald, and the final issue of COIE showed Batman and Jason Todd meeting a bald Luthor in prison on the "merged" earth---and PostLuthor (if I may call him that) only served one day in jail and had hair then---I think it's a decent guess.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome.  Yeah, I'm that Al Schroeder.  Yeah, I've now been married twenty-five years and had three kids, with the former Barb Long who I met through Julie's lettercolumns.

I also have a web page on Wold Newton-type Superman speculation at http://www.novanotes.com/specul.htm where I discuss not the Earth-1/Earth-2 or post-Crisis Superman, but a possible earth-REAL one---who was also Hugo Danner of GLADIATOR.  Guarenteed to outrage EVERYBODY, but enormous fun to do.---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 09:40:11 PM »

Outstanding!

I'm familiar with your site and articles.

The first one I ever read was this one:
http://www.novanotes.com/specul/strong.htm

I look forward to discussing that one with you.  I like what you did with it but I think you didn't go far enough.  You'll see once we get talking.

Also, your "The Theory and Practice of Super-Strength" essay has vanished from the internet.  Would you be so kind as to post the current link?  That derives directly from the closing chapters of Gladiator re: implied durability that must come with super-strength.  I believe that either that article or the original Gladiator novel influenced that Pre Crisis Lord Satanus tale where a non-invulnerable Superman found his body no longer had the durability to lift the Fortress' key.  Ultra Boy should have some degree of invulnerability consistent with whatever level of super-strength he's currently manifesting else he'd rip himself apart.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L