superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:34:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #1 - At last they return  (Read 106098 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2005, 07:28:07 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
No, it's that so many people hate the whiny crappy Post-Crisis version, go back to those forums and see the very same fans are all so happy to see Earth-2 Superman break out at the end.

Agreed. Even though Batman sounded like a jerk, he was actually quite accurate. Superman has wasted too much time trying to "relate" to humans instead of inspiring them.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2005, 01:02:43 AM »

Is the Superman logo used in the final pages of the first issue (reprinted in the other locked thread) one that has been used before?

I ask because it is identical to the logo of the Shuster Awards, designed by Dave Sim, and reportedly based on an unused early "S" shield design by Shuster.  Anyone know?

http://shusterawards.com/story.asp?storyID=36

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
DakotaSmith
Supermen of America

The Jackelope of Truth

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2005, 01:02:45 AM »

You know, if I had my way and we were to break off another "Earth-Dakota" universe a la this thread ...

In our new Earth-Dakota universe, Infinite Crisis would end with the current Superman sacrificing his life to save the original Superman.  In fact, Kal-El, Kon-El and the current Lois would all be literally replaced by Kal-L, Superboy-Prime, and Lois Kent.  I'd probably throw in some way that Lois and Kal-L were rejuvinated to the approximate ages of 30 each.

I think it would be very interesting indeed to permanently bring back Kal-L.  It wouldn't be a huge stretch, either:  both Kal-L and Kal-El are reporters in their Clark Kent identities (or at least Kal-L was before he became Managing Editor of the Daily Star), as was Lois Kent.  And as for the Earth-Prime Superboy, he never actually had an identity separate from Earth-Prime anyway, so his story could essentially be a blank slate.

But I can imagine Kal-L and Lois' reactions to the world of the 21st century, and I think it would add a fascinating level of introspection for them to have to deal with modern problems from their perspectives of a far simpler time.

Further, can one imagine Kal-L coming face-to-face with his counterparts' parents?  People significantly younger than he chronologically, but used to being "Superman's parents"?

I also can't imagine Kal-L tossing Superboy-Prime more or less aside the way Kal-El has done with both Kon-El and Kara Zor-El -- particularly considering they've been inhabiting some kind of hypertime limbo for the last twenty years.  Instead, I can imagine Superboy-Prime actually being raised by the Kents.

Though again, it's an interesting problem, considering that chronologically, Superboy-Prime is actually in his 30s despite still looking like a teen-ager ...

I don't think for a picosecond that DC will actually do this.  I think it far more likely that Kal-L will somehow "inspire" Kal-El to be the Superman Kal-L was and then be killed.  But in the universe of Earth-Dakota ... <shrug>

Dakota Smith

The Zero Aggression Principle:  "No human being has the right — under any circumstances — to initiate force against another human being, nor to threaten or delegate its initiation."
DakotaSmith
Supermen of America

The Jackelope of Truth

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2005, 01:07:54 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Is the Superman logo used in the final pages of the first issue (reprinted in the other locked thread) one that has been used before?

One need look no further than here for the answer.  Smiley

Though I actually think it would have been cooler to use the logo seen here ...

Dakota Smith

The Zero Aggression Principle:  "No human being has the right — under any circumstances — to initiate force against another human being, nor to threaten or delegate its initiation."
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2005, 01:36:04 AM »

Quote from: "DakotaSmith"
Quote from: "TELLE"

One need look no further than here for the answer.  Smiley

Though I actually think it would have been cooler to use the logo seen here ...

Dakota Smith

I don't think that logo ever saw print before the 1990's Bogdanove story, which would mean this (IC#1) is the second time DC has used it, and the first time they've used it specifically for the Earth-2 Superman.

But yes, it was originally designed by Shuster - just look here.

I have my own preference for just what the best Golden Age "Superman" logo is (it's neither of the two that Dakota links to), but you'll have to wait for the next big Superman Through The Ages! project to be announced if you want to find out what it is. And when I say big - I mean big! :lol:

As far as the actual story in IC#1 is concerned - I just bought the issue today.  My review:  Well, the last two pages were pretty good.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2005, 02:14:44 AM »

I'm very happy with this development.  Should be interesting to see where it goes.

lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2005, 02:27:05 AM »

It was quite a surprise to see Superman return in the pages of Infinite Crisis after almost twenty years since crisis and 6 years since Kingdom.  Should be one heck of a ride.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2005, 04:12:12 AM »

Well, we have to keep in mind that this is Crisis. DC seems to be moving in the "Age of Apocalypse" direction, where after this is over, the JLA and others will be hunted like mutants.

Nevertheless, you could tell in the other locked thread that I was very excited after reading it.  Cheesy  It was somehow very satisfying to see Batman deride the current Superman for not being inspiring, and seeing Kal-L basically say "Idiots!" and burst through the time barrier... a kind of affirmation of what we've been saying all along. Byrne's Superman isn't a Superman, and his Luthor isn't Luthor.

But, being an adult-oriented sequel to Crisis, there are gratuitious deaths. The Iron Age JLA is being killed off (doesn't bother me much, except Blue Beetle) but we've also lost Shayera and the wizard Shazam.  :evil:  It is entirely possible that Kal-L could die in the next issue, just to teach the current Superman how to be a real hero, or some similar crap. I mean, if the wizard Shazam isn't respected enough to be off-limits, who is?

The art from this issue was stunning...the covers were awesome, and the image of Spectre ransacking Gotham with the Bat-signal emblazoned across his chest was powerful. We'll wait and see...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L