superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:48:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #1 - At last they return  (Read 106024 times)
SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2005, 11:55:01 AM »

Good for PG. Now can we figure out the Kryptonian past of Post-Crisis Kara?

Any, thought who's thinks that Golden Age Superman is going to die. I got a few words for you: "Do you want cheese with your whine?" Seriously, now that Kal-L as a connect to this Earth, I don't think he will die. Neither will the modern-day Superman.

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2005, 10:30:31 PM »

SuperThinnker makes a good point.

We have many guys named 'Flash' and the same goes for 'Green Lantern'.

They're clearly not going to kill off Power Girl even though she's now -- again! -- an alternate world version of Supergirl.

Why not have an alternate world version of Superman, in this case the supposed 'first' Superman?  I could live with it.

Hey, if DC is smart, keeping both Supermen around could be a way to sell more Superman books.  I'm pretty sure the market would buy into another book or books focused on the E-2 Man of Steel.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2005, 12:16:53 AM »

Quote from: "SuperThinnker"
Good for PG. Now can we figure out the Kryptonian past of Post-Crisis Kara?

Any, thought who's thinks that Golden Age Superman is going to die. I got a few words for you: "Do you want cheese with your whine?" Seriously, now that Kal-L as a connect to this Earth, I don't think he will die. Neither will the modern-day Superman.

No thanks, but I'll be more than happy to have a full plate of crow if the whole thing does actually lead to a better and brighter DCU with Earth-2 Superman living, intact, and not made to look stupid in any way.

When I say I have no faith in DC, trust me; I *want* to be wrong. Maybe all this Identity and Infinite Crisis crap is simply the last gasp of the long drawn out and blood soaked Iron Age before a new dawn rises. .. but I have serious doubts. I don't think DC has the talent or the guts to turn away from from the same old grimschlock they've been doing. We've already been sold a false bill of goods on All Star, promised one thing and gotten Frank Millers Bat-a$$hat instead.

So, if DC ever finds the sun again I'll have that plate with sauce and eat it all up with some humble pie for desert. Until then, I expect nothing short of the worst case scenario. Liek I said in previous posts, I loathe being cycnical about anything but with mainline superhero comics I am. It saddens me, but I am. It's a weird place to be in where in your heart of hearts you're a Superman fan but you can't stand to read about 99.99% of the books he appears in.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2005, 12:51:46 AM »

I hear you, Kuuga.  I fear you're right.

In the meantime, instead of wallowing in the likely worst case scenario and getting depressed over it, let's fantasize about what we'd like to see.  It's more fun.

I think it would be cool if the older Superman stayed around and mentored his younger counterpart.  Wolfman's "Crisis on Three Earths" in DCCP Annual #1, 1982 comes to mind here.  I liked how Marv had the older hero counselling and guiding the younger guy.  E-1 Superman thinks Luthor's hatred for him is what's making him threaten the destruction of two Earths, while his older counterpart says, "Stay calm, my friend.  You're still young and you take things too personally.  This isn't aimed at either you or me, no matter what the Luthors might insist.  The sickness that infects them would be there even if we didn't exist."  Man, that was a great series of panels.  That's just an example.

OTOH, it might be fun to see the old guy checking up on the younger guy with lines like, "And just what do you think you're doing?" just before he messes up.   :lol:

What was the expression? "Hope for the Best.  Prepare for the Worst."

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Dial H For Hero
Supermen of America

« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2005, 01:01:14 AM »

I think that the E2 Superman could certainly fit into today's DCU, particularly if the concept of parallel Earths returns. Superboy-Prime could probably find a place, too. We'll see. If these characters are killed off, my already tepid interest in modern comics will evaporate altogether.
Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2005, 01:36:01 AM »

Ok if we're going to play the what if game, how about this, since we hope to get back some if not all the pre crisis DCU back, how about a return of the the planet with the folks from Kandor (the bottled city) After setting our current Superman back on path the E2 Superman, Superboy Prime, and company go to live there? that way they are not killed off, and are around when if DC needs/wants to bring them back.

What I'm wondering is when the e2 Superman makes his aperance what is going to happen with all those e2 hero's that ended up on our world will they start getting memory flashes of how it use to be?

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2005, 05:12:58 AM »

Hear that loud "YESSSSSS!" sound in your homes?

That's the sound of Roy Thomas, once somebody told him they're bringing back Earth-2, if that is indeed what they're doing. Does this mean we'll get guest-appearances by Hugo Danner, King Kong, Indiana Jones, and that lady robot from Metropolis?

I for one, think a restoration of some old-time elements is perfectly in character for DC these days; Geoff Johns brought Ma Hunkel back with the dignity and warmth that the first female superheroine deserves. Ditto for Geoff Johns and his act of CPR on the JSA. And Geoff Johns with his...(alright, you get the picture; Geoff Johns loves comics history).

The Wolfman's comments in that interview were so cryptic that there's no sense worrying about it one way or the other. On the other hand, Wolfman has gone on record many times as stating that except for a few minor guys that ticked him off, he never wanted to kill or destroy anything with CRISIS, just do something a little slicker, a little more streamlined. It can be very easy to blame Wolfman; I, for instance, blame him for shortsightedness and incredible arrogance. But the fact is, CRISIS *may* have worked if everybody worked together, but instead what happened is HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE was invalid the moment it came out because all the writer/artists wanted to do their own thing, and screw the comics created by much more talented people.

I had the opportunity to read the interview with Wolfman after the CRISIS trade paperback (beautiful to look at; bright colors and George Perez art go together like bacon and eggs). It reads like any given interview with Robert MacNamara: it alternates between a feeling of proud blustering and refusal to apologize, with vaguely self-loathing comments that blame everybody else but himself for what happened.

Marv Wolfman would be a tragic figure, if it wasn't for the fact everything that happened is his own fault - the consequences of their own choices, like eliminating DC history.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2005, 05:56:04 AM »

Quote from: "Just a fan"
Ok if we're going to play the what if game, how about this, since we hope to get back some if not all the pre crisis DCU back, how about a return of the the planet with the folks from Kandor (the bottled city) After setting our current Superman back on path the E2 Superman, Superboy Prime, and company go to live there? that way they are not killed off, and are around when if DC needs/wants to bring them back.

What I'm wondering is when the e2 Superman makes his aperance what is going to happen with all those e2 hero's that ended up on our world will they start getting memory flashes of how it use to be?

Hmmm...good question. Was wondering what'll happen when Kal-L decides to look up his old buddies Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, etc. and (unless the above scenario comes to pass) they don't know him from Adam. Plus, wonder what Earth-Two's Lois would be up to/where she'd fit in in a post-Crisis world where she never existed ("never" had a career as a reporter or anything)? Maybe another "someone stays with the Kents in Smallville" bit, with the oddity that Earth-Two's Lois and Kal-L are probably older than the Kents by this point? Not to mention the Earth-Prime Superboy---a guy who would've spent most of his life viewing all of these guys as "fictional"...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L