superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #1 - At last they return  (Read 106066 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2005, 07:12:42 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
In all fairness to Marv, I think there is some truth to what he says here.  Many people forget that Crisis wasn't the reboot - it was hitting the "off" button.  The "on" cycle came later.  And Marv wasn't the editor/decision maker as to what would come next - he was just a writer hired to destroy the multiverse.

CoIE was about creating one universe from the multiverse, not just killing the multiverse.  IIRC, the initial intent was for there to be a total reboot of the entire DCU, to start fresh while noting history (paying a guy to read every DC publication and take notes -- talk about a dream job for a comic geek).  But The Powers That Be thought CoIE wouldn't be meaningful if the universe rebooted and there weren't real consequences, like Supergirl dying.  Then, they swung the other way, permitting decisions to screw those consequences up (partial reboots and Supergirl never having been born).  CoIE never fully hit the "off" button, and that was its problem.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2005, 07:29:17 PM »

DC's grand strategy back then was three-part, according to Dick Giordano:

Crisis on Infinite Earths (Marv Wolfman)

DC Who's Who (various authors)

History of the DC Universe (Marv Wolfman)

Those three publications were supposed to be the foundation of the new DCU.  The fact that the creative teams went all over the map to defy that new foundation is more a failure of editorial control than anything Marv did.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2005, 09:44:35 PM »

I confess to having a hard time disassociating Wolfman from the mess, since he went straight from CoIE to the Superman creative team, reinventing Lex Luthor as Kingpin-lite.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2005, 10:17:05 PM »

Marv is complicit, and he will get the guillotine when our Revolution Supreme happens...

:twisted:

(Sorry, taught about the French Revolution this week...)

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2005, 12:41:54 AM »

ok enough of the big bad wolf, he is really a non-factor these days...

NOW...

For anyone who wanted to know DC's direction after Crisis, ...

Official Press Release

Dan DiDio has been promoted to Senior Vice President - Executive Editor, DC Universe, it was announced today by Paul Levitz, DC Comics President & Publisher. DiDio will continue to report directly to Levitz.

DiDio, who joined DC Comics in January 2002 as Vice President - Editorial, oversees the editorial department for the DC Universe imprint. As the DC Universe Executive Editor, DiDio charts the ongoing adventures of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and scores of heroes and villains; he also works to develop new titles with the industry's premier writers and artists.

"Dan has done an impressive job of bringing his personal energy and enthusiasm to the DC Universe, which has never been a more exciting destination for our readers," said Levitz. "Dan is leading a stellar line-up of creative talent in guiding the greatest collection of characters in popular culture, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next."

Before joining DC, DiDio was with the computer animation company Mainframe Entertainment where he served as freelance story editor and scriptwriter for the television series Reboot and War Planets. Later he became its Senior Vice President, Creative Affairs, overseeing the development, distribution, marketing, and promotion as well as merchandising and licensing of all Mainframe's television properties. Among the television projects he developed were Weird-Ohs, Beast Machines, Black Bull's Gatecrasher and Jill Thompson's Scary Godmother. He began his television career in 1981 at CBS, where he worked at a variety of positions before moving to Capital Cities/ABC in 1985. At ABC, DiDio served as Public Relations Manager for the three New York-based daytime dramas, then moved to Los Angeles to become Executive Director of Children's Programming. In this post, he was responsible for Saturday morning programs and After School Specials and served as Program Executive on such series as Tales from the Cryptkeeper, Hypernauts, Madeline, Dumb and Dumber, and Reboot.

At DC Comics, DiDio has spearheaded such bestselling projects as ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER, IDENTITY CRISIS, GREEN LANTERN, TEEN TITANS and OUTSIDERS.

Back to me,

all I have to say is well old school video game star Q*Bert said it best when he said:

“@!#?@!”

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2005, 03:42:35 AM »

That Press Release reads like something targeted to potential investors or buyers or something.  Like they're trying to get a stock price to go up.

Interesting that All-Star Superman wasn't even mentioned.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2005, 09:05:50 PM »

Wasn't there a Dilbert joke somewhere that the most incompetent people are placed into positions where they can do the least damage - namely, Management?

I'm thinking of that Dilbert joke right now.  :twisted:

Anyway, I seriously hope this Didio's big claim to fame isn't having the idea for ALL STAR BATMAN. That's like topping your resume with "Project Director, Challenger Mission."

And I wouldn't brag about working at CBS in the 1990s, either. Ever since they dropped PEE-WEE's PLAYHOUSE it was all downhill. Every kid I knew avoided the CBS lineup like the plague, except for CBS STORYBREAK with Malcolm Jamal-Warner, and that was only because Fox Kids showed SOUL TRAIN at around the same time. It really says something that they won NINJA TURTLES for two seasons, and STILL no kid would watch their network. Their choices can be traced back to committing the two great sins of children's programming:

1) Saturday morning cartoons based on movies usually stink. Remember BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE SERIES, or BILL AND TED'S MOST EXCELLENT ADVENTURES? I mean, if a Cookie Crisp promotional tie-in can't save you, you might as well throw in the towel. This is especially true of any cartoon show based on a movie that Jim Carrey was in: hear that, DUMB AND DUMBER, THE MASK, and ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE? Unsurprisingly, CBS had at least two of those three.

2) Kids hate to learn. Okay, yeah, MAGIC SCHOOL BUS had its moments, but if you've ever watched MYTHIC WARRIORS or anything on PBS aimed at kids 10 years or older for any reason other than a broken channel switch, you're almost assuredly a friendless nebbish. The exception to this is CAPTAIN PLANET, because while most kids probably won't understand the subtext, they can nonetheless detect that this show is ticked off and has an edge, an axe to grind.

Incidentally, thanks to Dan Didio, I won dinner at a cute little Cuban place from a friend. I wagered that Hal Jordan would be back in three years, once DC's management was shaken up and a new guy came to the fore. Why? The only reason the administration kept Hal dead and allowed Ron Marz to criminally misrule the Lantern titles was because bringing Hal back would mean the editors admitting that they had made a mistake. It's like the comic book equivalent of Perestroika and Detente; you'll only get it when the hardliners quietly disappear and new guys come in without any baggage and investment in unsuccessful policies.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2005, 02:56:40 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

And I wouldn't brag about working at CBS in the 1990s, either. Ever since they dropped PEE-WEE's PLAYHOUSE it was all downhill. Every kid I knew avoided the CBS lineup like the plague, except for CBS STORYBREAK with Malcolm Jamal-Warner, and that was only because Fox Kids showed SOUL TRAIN at around the same time. It really says something that they won NINJA TURTLES for two seasons, and STILL no kid would watch their network. Their choices can be traced back to committing the two great sins of children's programming:

1) Saturday morning cartoons based on movies usually stink. Remember BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE SERIES, or BILL AND TED'S MOST EXCELLENT ADVENTURES? I mean, if a Cookie Crisp promotional tie-in can't save you, you might as well throw in the towel. This is especially true of any cartoon show based on a movie that Jim Carrey was in: hear that, DUMB AND DUMBER, THE MASK, and ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE? Unsurprisingly, CBS had at least two of those three.

Hmm... I liked the "Back to the Future" and "Bill & Ted" cartoons, though I also was a fan of their respective movies (and was a teenager at the time they aired, vs. a kid who wouldn't have gotten the George Carlin reference or two they threw in on the latter show...).

2) Kids hate to learn. Okay, yeah, MAGIC SCHOOL BUS had its moments, but if you've ever watched MYTHIC WARRIORS or anything on PBS aimed at kids 10 years or older for any reason other than a broken channel switch, you're almost assuredly a friendless nebbish. The exception to this is CAPTAIN PLANET, because while most kids probably won't understand the subtext, they can nonetheless detect that this show is ticked off and has an edge, an axe to grind.

Eh... think kids might like some educational-ish stuff on TV, but only if it's done well. Or entertainment shows with semi-educational tidbits thrown in (such as some of the songs on "Animaniacs")...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L