superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #1 - At last they return  (Read 106028 times)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2005, 03:23:26 AM »

Byrne laid the ground work for the "Metal Men are actually human beings trapped in robot bodies" in his Superman/Metal Men team up in Action Comics.
I really do wish that DC comics would just junk that entire mini-series and go back to the basics with the Metal Men, but obviously that's never going to happen.

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2005, 02:32:52 PM »

That secret level/chamber was all Byrne introduced in AC.  I know he didn't write that drek series later.  Unless you know something I don't about Byrne being the actual creative motivator on a stupid series that he didn't script himself, I wouldn't lay this at the feet of Unca Johnny.

Byrne has enough sins to atone for without us blaming him for ones that aren't his.

I still think Byrne would be a good technical advisor to Johns.

OTOH, it may be they couldn't collaborate well.  Byrne's ego would not let him stop at technical matters.  I have no idea how Johns takes input so that's a big unknown.

Hey, I think my comics shop is going to get IC #2 this week. Cheesy

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2005, 03:08:16 PM »

enough about him, maybe we should ban the word Bryne, anyway, this will be the last day for this thread.

It shall be close after today and another shall open in its place to discuss issue #2, which shall be released tommorrow.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2005, 05:47:11 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
enough about him, maybe we should ban the word Bryne, anyway, this will be the last day for this thread.

Well how about a seperate forum for the Post-Crisis Supes? ...and Infinite Crisis #2, can't wait! (Especially after seeing the cover of Power Girl looking up at events spanning the length of DCU history, right in front of her!)  :shock:

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2005, 11:09:45 PM »

Quote from: "Kal's Pal"

Well how about a seperate forum for the Post-Crisis Supes?  

Not a chance! The only reason this thread exist is because of it's connection to pre-crisis. If you want to talk post-crisis supes, just head on down to DC's boards, Superman Homepage's boards or any of the countless Post-Crisis Superman boards. If you want to talk about the real Superman, we only have this board, so I want to protect that. I do not want a army of iron age fans coming over here.

...and Infinite Crisis #2, can't wait! (Especially after seeing the cover of Power Girl looking up at events spanning the length of DCU history, right in front of her!)  :shock:

I look forward to reading... reviews on-line about it Wink

Like I said before, I am playing a wait and see game with DC, since I don't want to waste money on something that is just going to kill off the remaining pre-crisis heroes.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2005, 03:20:05 AM »

I don't anticipate DC waking up and smelling the coffee, either. Their best stuff of late (Trinity, New Frontier, Child of Dreams) has either been neglected, excoriated by the Iron Age majority, or both. There's a reason why Frank Miller keeps being allowed to take a pickaxe to the character he destroyed in 1986 while guys like Matt Wagner, Darwyn Cooke, and Kia Asamiya get shoved aside or get no support...Miller's garbage still sells like hotcakes. The fandom still wants to wallow in the muck and mire. Why should DC upset the apple cart when it can make money churning out the worst possible stuff around?

I do admit to buying IC #1, only because of the final page where E-2 Superman decides he's had enough of the current DCU. If it hadn't been for that, I wouldn't have given the book a second thought. However, I do agree that the chances of him dying are pretty high. Aside from Green Lantern, DC seems to be deathly afraid of writing about heroes, and for the most part stories about heroes get ignored or thrown to the Iron Age wolves. Granted, guys like Wagner have spoken out against this kind of thing, and Mike Allred's Solo issue boasted a terrific Batman story that exposed Miller's nihilistic worldview for exactly what it is. But how much power do they really have? Wagner and Allred have already been condemned by the Iron Age fanboys for various reasons, and as time has shown, Waid and Morrison don't have a whole lot of pull at DC (their Superman material has been subject to corporate interference). Everyone can talk big about how they're going to restore the heroes back to glory, make Superman an inspiration, and get rid of Batman's psycho terrorist bad attitude, but if the execs decide it won't sell, all that talk is for naught. And judging from the success of All-Star Batman and Miller's plans for more Batman projects, there's no way DC's going to turn around and decide Kane and Finger's Batman is the better option. What we're getting right now is exactly the way it's going to stay.

The nice thing is, the archives, reprints, and Showcase collections are there to fill the void. So it's not like there's nothing to turn to.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2005, 03:54:50 AM »

And yet the New Fronteir winds bushel loads of awards...
man I love that book!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2005, 02:36:46 PM »

it's great, but the time has come for this thread to close, but a new one shall be born in it's place.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L