superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie Questions  (Read 13437 times)
Conorooney
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 01:43:18 PM »

Kara go to www.supermancinema.net and read up on SII. Richard Donner, the real Superman diretor or SI and SII had all this in mind, I wouldn't nit pick at the turning back time thing. It's a film. You'll enjoy ther movie less if you do this. What you see of SII on video is not the real film. Richard Donner had 85% of the film done and was fired. They only used 30% of his work. I have an extended European verion with 50% of Donner's footage and am getting the SII restored verion soon. The famous green cut cos I supplied the soundtrack for the fan edit. Marlon Brando shoot the footage of giving up his powers, Reeve faints and get his powers restored by Jor-El sacrificing himself for his son. The bit with Lara talking about the molecule chamber is actually supposed to be Brando, and this was shot. If you notice Hackman and Perrine are looking up (remember in SI Jor-El is a hallogram in the air) but it SII it's a crystal plaque. Lara's (York's) large crystal in on ground level but Hackman is looking up. There is also a lot cut out. Donner has his own Paris scene filmed and in the can and also his own honeymoon scene in the can. It's called the bullet scene. Lois has a blank gun and Clark owns up but then Clark says "I wasn't Superman, Clark Kent would be dead now. Lois says "What, with a blank, Got ya". Also before the Paris scene she jumps put the window or the Daily Planet.
Krypto
Superman Fan

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2003, 10:49:06 AM »

Quote from: "KaraReeve"
It is fun hearing (reading) other people come up with some of the same questions and answers I have had.   Whether it is a tv show, comic or movie, when it comes to Superman flaws and inconsitancies I generally just try to let things go and enjoy my favorite hero. :wink:

i agree he is the superman and even though something dont make sense its because, SUPERMAN ALWAYS HAS TO COME UP WITH A SOLUTION

I Fight For Truth Justice And The American Way
Chelli
Supermen of America

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 03:20:01 AM »

regartung the questions of the Superman movie most can be answered un the encyclopedia on this site.
 Considering that Zod and and his cohorts have been banished to the Phantom zone seems they had plenty of time to understand and speak English though not to well versed after all they heard they heard the earth transmissions and referreed to the planet earth as planet Houston
 Remember thids is a fiction ubiverse where the general laws of physics don't apply Someone once stated Xena being  in several time perios in History and remained in her 20s-30-s spanning 3000 years called it the Xenaverse just call it the kryptyoverse here then
umbc8
Superman Fan

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 08:13:21 PM »

Part of the problem with the ending for Superman is that it was a last minute thing.  Donner and one of the writers realized that the ending was missing the human element.  That is why Lois dies, and the turning back time thing happens.

Also, the event was supposed to cause the destruction of the Fortress, as punishment for Supes trying to change the course of human history.  Also, missle he just threw up into space was supposed to free the Phantom Zoners in the second movie.

The Lois and Niagara thing was not Donner stuff.  She jumped out a window at the Daily Planet, but knew she would be saved by the awning of the fruit cart we saw in Superman 1.  She shoots Clark with blanks at Niagara, and he reveals the secret because he thinks they were real bullets.

Clark got his powers when Jor-El sacrificed himself for Kal-El.  You don't see this because it was cut Donner footage.  It was shot.

Lois took the car back to Metropolis (must've been a long drive).  The car was probably in the garage at the Fortress (makes about as much sense as anything else).

Actually, Clark has his powers, he just didn't know about them.  Remember baby Clark holding up the Kent truck in Superman 1?  As for the others, they were adults so it came to them easier.

Clark set up everything when he went back to the Fortress to regain his powers.  Luring the criminals to the Fortress was all part of the plan.  He didn't kill anybody.  Luthor, Miss Tecshmacher, and the criminals were arrested by the Arctic police.

The kiss was something from the comics of the 60s.  It didn't actually work in the movie though.  She revealed in Superman 4 that she still remembered.  Of course, that didn't stop him from trying it again in Superman 4.

Superman's whole ideal is to Champion the weak and oppressed.  The bully was definetly oppressing the others in the diner.  Clark went back to show him a lesson, to show him what it's like to be bullied, and to pay for all the damage to the diner.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2003, 04:24:56 PM »

Also, the event was supposed to cause the destruction of the Fortress, as punishment for Supes trying to change the course of human history.

Hmm...so he gets to save his girlfriend and monkey with history and his only "punishment" is that a big, empty, unsightly structure made of "pick-up sticks" falls apart?  Sounds like a pretty good trade to me.  Compared to the museum/retreat/resort/refuge of the comics, the movie "Fortress" looks like a big ugly beaver dam.

Also, missle he just threw up into space was supposed to free the Phantom Zoners in the second movie.

I always thought it would have been better to have the time-warp stunt somehow release them.  Maybe that mirror-thingie that represents the Zone could have been near Earth's orbit and when Superman whips the Earth around backward, the space-time continuum could be ripped up around it.  That way when the baddies get out and make his life Hell, the ghost of Jor-El could say, "see, you idiot, I told you not to monkey around with time!"

This would also add to the romance sub-plot. When Superman realizes his saving Lois unleashed disaster on Earth, he could resolve by the end of movie 2 to put his hormones on the back burner and concentrate on his job.

Clark got his powers when Jor-El sacrificed himself for Kal-El. You don't see this because it was cut Donner footage. It was shot.

Well, I don't think it was cut because it was Donner's.  It was cut because they got into money disputes with Brando (hence the participation of Lara instead of Jor-El).

Anyway, I don't miss it.  The added DVD footage with Superman conversing with Jor-El is troubling to me, and this "sacrifice" scene would have made it much worse.  Did Jor-El die on Krypton or didn't he?  Are we seeing a pre-taped hologram?  A ghost?  Jor in the Phantom Zone?  What the heck is going on here?  Whatever the explanation, I can't warm to the notion that Superman needs his Daddy around to do his thinking and moralizing for him ("Keep your secret ID or your friends could become targets").  This is an addition to the mythos we don't need.

Clark set up everything when he went back to the Fortress to regain his powers. Luring the criminals to the Fortress was all part of the plan. He didn't kill anybody. Luthor, Miss Tecshmacher, and the criminals were arrested by the Arctic police.

That's one scene it would've helped to keep in (I hear it was filmed).  Only problem is there are no Arctic Police, but if there were it'd probably be the most action they'd seen in their whole careers!

The kiss was something from the comics of the 60s.

Really?  Do you remember what the explanation was in the comics for why it worked?

Superman's whole ideal is to Champion the weak and oppressed. The bully was definetly oppressing the others in the diner. Clark went back to show him a lesson, to show him what it's like to be bullied, and to pay for all the damage to the diner.

I think every bully knows what it's like to be bullied. They're usually part of a bigger cycle of violence and cruelty.  But I might be willing to accept that Clark wanted to impress on the guy that the worm occasionally turns.  That way, next time he might think "Hmmm, maybe I won't pick on this nerd.  The last one turned out to be a tiger!"

And the damage Clark paid for was the damage he did.

This looks like a job for...
Chelli
Supermen of America

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2003, 06:36:56 PM »

General Zod and his trio of terror could not betaken into normal Human Xustody Superman probably already would have known how to return criminals to Phantom Zone
 they would be too dangerous to be allowed even in a prison with Their Super intellect had  no choice but to be returned tp the phantom zone
 after alll some were temporily sentenced only to that isoled place and kal-el would have known that too so Zod
 in Superman 1 Luthor was returned to prison.
II left you guessing probably thinking Zod would make a SUPER comebaclk that never happened
 As to alering the timeline. all theroys are only hypothetical as it has never been done,
 Personally don't wanna know could sleep in a free US today and a Nazi tyranical state tommorow Life is uncertain enough in the one timeline we already live in
Kal-El10
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2003, 06:08:32 AM »

While I had most of the same problems with plot holes as most, the how he got his powers back wasn't one of them . The green crystal, which in the 1st film was shown to be the main power for the Fortress wasn't in place when he used the machine to take his powers. Lois had dropped it aside earlier.  When Clark gets back (& yes that makes little sense considering how he was dressed) it sensed his problem and used its power to restore him. My impression of what Jor-El was in the 1st film was a holographic representation of the real Jor-El which gave voice to a sophisticated interactive computer program capable of responding to most of the anticipated questions of Kal-El. The extended version does indeed show that the Kryptonians weren't killed and Luthor was not abandoned. Another interesting scene put back in has Clark destroyuing his now desecrated Fortress before taking Lois back to Metropolis.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 09:46:34 PM »

the kryptonians had extensive knowledge of many planets, including earth.  Zod & company probably know hundreds (or thousands) of languages.    

I don't think Superman (in the first movie) did any time travelling or time-reversing.  The whole sequence between lois's car going into the ditch & him saving her, was something he imagined.  

One of the problems i had with the movies was how Lex luthor was done.  as a buffoon more or less.  in the first movie he discovers kryptonite & uses it against superman.  but in the second movie he goes to see zod & co. without it.  Lex knew they were evil & all three of them had superman's powers.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L