superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would YOU have done?  (Read 18464 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 08:51:38 PM »

How often would you visit your parents if you could do so instantaneously, especially if you could see that they were home and not 'indisposed'?  How often would you call on the phone, if you could just be there faster than the phone system could process your touch tones?

One thought I've had is the idea that Clark leaves Lana and his family to become a man because he can't yet fully control his ever-growing powers.  He's afraid he might hurt them, so he goes off on a quest to learn about himself and learn to deal with the awesome power he has.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 02:21:17 PM »

I like my Kents good and dead!

It's very difficult for a person who has grown up in a rural area to just uproot and go to the big city, where there is a lack of fresh air, fresh vegetables, sunlight, and ability to see the stars at night. (I kind of like Clark's obsession with the stars in Smallville...it suits him.)

There needs to be a paradigm shift... something has to happen to disconnect him from Smallville. His character needs a reason to cut off ties with Smallville, to feel that he "can't go home again." While he also kind of shuns Pete and Lana in leaving Smallville, the death of the Kents justifies it.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 03:02:02 PM »

I like the idea of the Kents occasionally needing to be there to help out Superman -- like when they used Kryptonite against the Eradicator, or when Jonathan had to bring Superman's soul back from the dead.

That said, for the Kents to work well as supporting characters, they need more development -- more background and motivation. If they are just going to be uber-nice semi-idealized parents who only ever want what's best for all concerned, then they are probably better off dead.
SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 12:55:54 PM »

Welcome to my Earth-Thinker version:

We open up with the usual Jor-El is telling the Council about Krypton's up-coming end. Instead of the usual, Jor-El (and the readers of Earth-Thinker) got a suprize, the masked Science Controller--"The Main Brain of the Science Council", argees with Jor-El, with out any solid proof. They is a little clues--the other members joked that Jor-El is having affair with the Science Controller, but Science Controller tells her saying "her word is law--and one against her law might up in the Phantom Zone." Jor-El is offer a ride to her house.

We learn that Science Controller--to prevent bad Kryptonians, were mask to prevent trouble. In Science Controller's car, she removes her mask, revealing a 15-year female genius from Argo City, Kara Zor-El, Jor-El's neice. Being famous is driving Kara buggy, she wanted to be a normal Kryptonian, but having complete a entire school era in only five Krypton years, she's been hail as super-genius by the entire Kryptonian--making her feel like a out-case.

Of course, Kara gets a call from the Council, Lt. Lesla-Zod, a Council member forces the 'Science Brain Affair Rule' on them. Zod stated that only one male and one female can leave Krypton--between the ages of two and seventeen.  Jor-El has his three-year son, Kal-El, ready for lauch as Kara has a idea for he second person--herself. The only thing need is to find a planet. The planet pick is the yellow sun planet of Earth.

Both rockets are lauch at the same time, Kara radios that she will find and take good care of Kal-El--but Kara end up in a time vortex.

In the meantime, Kal-El's enters Earth's systems--and powers up radar protection--and lands in outside of Smallville, Kansas where Kal-El is picked by the Kents. On Earth-Thinker, Kal-El had all of his super-powers before--with the expect of the time travel power--but had another power-the power to break any non-important body--including the skin--which according to fans of Superman is called "Control Break". Being powerful and bored, Kal-El become Superboy at age 9.

Durning a space trip into a far planet in far corner of the galaxy, the Kent die of a old age--but are replied by similar people. They turned out to be Danvers--cousins to the late Kent--and was faking the Kents in hope to make sure Clark isn't worried about them. Superboy reveals to them is entirehistory.  Soon after this, the Danvers become the new guardians of Clark Kent.

At soon as Clark Kent completes college, he goes to Metroplis and become it's protecter, Superman. He gets the following: the mad science weapons of Lex Luthor, the dangerous toy of the the Toyman, the deady humor of the Prankster, the magic mayhem of Mr. Myxzpltlk, the Kryptonite powered cyborg, Mettalo.

When Superman hits age 25, a Kryptonian rocket enters Metroplis during a charity event. Inside is blonde hair Kryptonian, named Kara Zor-El. Kara Zor-El now is disappointed again--she had another reason beside her genuis--her new found super-power. Kal-El has a idea for her--but first he need to some checking. Kal-El takes her to his friend, Bruce "Batman" Wayne's Bat-Cave, where Bruce tries to X-ray her--but fails.  [In my universe, X-ray can't work on Krypton--even with the new 'Control Break' power-] Kal-El wanted to make sure she was a human faking super-powers. Kara is give to the Danvers, who give her the name of Linda Lee. Of course, being normal human drives Kara batty--so Kara expects a offer from Kal-El, to become Supergirl, his partner.  Kara arqees with that.

Soon after, the first Kryptonain creeps arrived--Gen. Zod and Lt. Lesla-Zod. It's seemed that "Science Brain Affair Rule" was to just to prevent all of Krypton from following the two of them in space. Superman ends up battling Gen. Zod and Supergirl ends up battling Lt. Lesla-Zod--but the Zods up in the Phantom Zone.

So what do you think of Earth-Thinker? Good as a Superman or as bad as Lex Luthor?

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 04:41:46 PM »

Quote from: "SuperThinnker"
We open up with the usual Jor-El is telling the Council about Krypton's up-coming end. Instead of the usual, Jor-El (and the readers of Earth-Thinker) got a suprize, the masked Science Controller--"The Main Brain of the Science Council", argees with Jor-El, with out any solid proof. They is a little clues--the other members joked that Jor-El is having affair with the Science Controller, but Science Controller tells her saying "her word is law--and one against her law might up in the Phantom Zone." Jor-El is offer a ride to her house.

We learn that Science Controller--to prevent bad Kryptonians, were mask to prevent trouble. In Science Controller's car, she removes her mask, revealing a 15-year female genius from Argo City, Kara Zor-El, Jor-El's neice.

I don't think I like this version of Kara. Zoning people for questioning her dictates (or even for gossiping about her) isn't something a respectable leader would do.

Your intention is probably that we should like and trust this character because she's based on a character whom we already like and trust. It doesn't work, because your version of Kara doesn't act like the Kara we know.

Of course, Kara gets a call from the Council, Lt. Lesla-Zod, a Council member forces the 'Science Brain Affair Rule' on them. Zod stated that only one male and one female can leave Krypton--between the ages of two and seventeen.

...except on Thursdays and alternate Sundays, but not when there's an "R" in the month.

No, really, that rule is incredibly contrived. How would they justify having a rule like that? Besides, I thought Kara's word was law. If she doesn't like this rule, why doesn't she just tell them to change it?

Durning a space trip into a far planet in far corner of the galaxy, the Kent die of a old age--but are replied by similar people.

Since when do the Kents take space trips?

When Superman hits age 25, a Kryptonian rocket enters Metroplis during a charity event. Inside is blonde hair Kryptonian, named Kara Zor-El. Kara Zor-El now is disappointed again--she had another reason beside her genuis--her new found super-power. Kal-El has a idea for her--but first he need to some checking. Kal-El takes her to his friend, Bruce "Batman" Wayne's Bat-Cave, where Bruce tries to X-ray her--but fails.  [In my universe, X-ray can't work on Krypton--even with the new 'Control Break' power-] Kal-El wanted to make sure she was a human faking super-powers. Kara is give to the Danvers, who give her the name of Linda Lee. Of course, being normal human drives Kara batty--so Kara expects a offer from Kal-El, to become Supergirl, his partner.  Kara arqees with that.

Ooooookay, you pretty much lost me here. Kara is disappointed because she's lost her powers? How did this happen? Wouldn't that remove her inability to be X-rayed as well? And why bother going to the Batcave? He could use his X-Ray vision, or just borrow a machine at a hospital. Finally, how can Kara possibly be Supergirl if she doesn't have powers?

So what do you think of Earth-Thinker?

The concept needs work, and you desperately need a good copy editor.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 05:10:05 PM »

Gary, YOU can understand Superthinker/Dr. Thinker?  :hail:

If you have read any of his fanfics, you'd know that is normal for his writing.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/17673/

You can read about him here:
http://www.svamcentral.org/ewic/docs/MSTing-FAQ.txt

I can't understand him.
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 05:40:40 PM »

He seems to have improved since those days. That last post was kinda sorta comprehensible. Smiley

I've not read any of his fanfiction directly, but I have read Megane 6.7's MSTings which include his stuff among others.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 05:44:28 PM »

You can read about him here:
http://www.svamcentral.org/ewic/docs/MSTing-FAQ.txt

Dr Thinker: Has written lots of rather incoherent Sailor Moon fics.
Best known for insightful passages like "Gyra famous on Amy" and "Out poops
Sailor Mercury". Plus, he's a real nice guy. Now if we can only figure out
half of what he's saying.

Remeber he is a really nice guy, so please don't make fun of anyone here, that is not allowed on this board.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L