superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byrne off Action Comics  (Read 13650 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: October 15, 2005, 12:25:37 AM »

Administrator's note: this thread has been split off from this one.

To lighten this up a bit here....

John Byrne fired... yet again this time from Superman

If the return of Earth-2 Superman and Earth-Prime Superboy wasn't enough, John Byrne just got fired from Action Comics due to low sales just like every other book he has worked on as of late.

He is very bitter about it all, and he has even tried to twist it as if he wasn't really fired but "layed off", and somehow blamed Wizard for fans not liking him anymore. It's funny and sad at the same time.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=6048

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 01:18:47 AM »

Well, this being Byrne aside, Wizard is a rag for sure and the level of influence they have over what people read is nothing short of scary. The only thing scarier is their idea what passes for comics journalism. Ever notice how much of the magazine seems geared toward telling you what to like and making up your mind for you while making snarky comments about anything that doesn't fit in with that? Wonder if they could ever stop suckling Frank Millers teet for five little minutes. Apparently the accomplishments of guys like Bob Kane, Bill Finger, all the way up to Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers don't matter. It's only the Bat-@$$hat Miller crapped out from his cynical psyche that counts now.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 01:35:11 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
John Byrne just got fired from Action Comics due to low sales just like every other book he has worked on as of late.

Simone's writing isn't bad.  I feel bad for Gail Simone if she was blindsided.  

Action's sales didn't suffer under Simone/Byrne.  At worst, they were flat.  At best, they were up a bit (Impotent Crisis bumped sales up a bit overall).  The sales figures are at:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.dc.universe/msg/9e81995753c71146?&q=dc+sales+august+2005
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 02:00:40 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Well, this being Byrne aside, Wizard is a rag for sure and the level of influence they have over what people read is nothing short of scary. The only thing scarier is their idea what passes for comics journalism. Ever notice how much of the magazine seems geared toward telling you what to like and making up your mind for you while making snarky comments about anything that doesn't fit in with that? Wonder if they could ever stop suckling Frank Millers teet for five little minutes. Apparently the accomplishments of guys like Bob Kane, Bill Finger, all the way up to Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers don't matter. It's only the Bat-@$$hat Miller crapped out from his cynical psyche that counts now.

I really think that Wizard's power and influence is highly overrated. I don't read the main Wizard magazine (well, not in quite a few years), but I do regularly buy Anime Insider (which is quite good). From what I've seen, it's actually become popular on the Internet to hate the main magazine. In fact, most of the people I see talking about the main magazine--on very different message boards--is negative. I don't see the Wizard-bots that every is always talking about. Most people don't need a magazine to learn about their favorite creators--they can just go to their respective message boards.

I could see the magazine having a lot of power over casual fans, but not the hardcore crowd. I certainly don't think it's because of Wizard or its fans that Byrne got fired.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 02:46:18 AM »

If the return of Earth-2 Superman and Earth-Prime Superboy wasn't enough, John Byrne just got fired from Action Comics due to low sales just like every other book he has worked on as of late.

I know I'm alone in this but I'm sad. To me this was the only decent Superman title. One where Superman wasn't a whining jerk. I think it says more about the readership than Byrne. If you can tell me you honestly prefer Rucka's crap to Action I will give up my faith in the folks here.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 02:58:00 AM »

Quote from: "SteamTeck"

I know I'm alone in this but I'm sad. To me this was the only decent Superman title. One where Superman wasn't a whining jerk. I think it says more about the readership than Byrne. If you can tell me you honestly prefer Rucka's crap to Action I will give up my faith in the folks here.

Don't look at me.

I buy the mini-series that are lauded as being complete.  That's why I hated Identity Crisis.  It was a lead in to Infinite Crisis.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 03:11:28 AM »

From what I've read, Adventures of Superman is much better than Action Comics. I like Simone and all (Villains United was great) but I haven't really been interested in her run on Superman. It doesn't help that the artwork looks incredibly dated. Then again, I'm currently not collecting either title. I am enjoying Verheiden's run on Superman, though.

As for Dan Didio, I don't see him as some Big Brother figure trying to ruin comics for older fans by changing the past. Under his watch we had both Hal Jordan and Kara Zor-El return to their proper places in the DCU, and now we have the Earth-2 Superman and Earth-Prime Superboy back. It's not as if there's some sort of "culture war" going on between comics fans and creators. As long as he continues to make DC successful, I have no problems with him.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 03:13:36 AM »

Who the heck is Rucka?

I will have to state once again, That I do not read the current Superman books, because there aren't any.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L