superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byrne off Action Comics  (Read 13366 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 09:03:30 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Forgive me if someone on this board is very conservative; I mean no harm. But read this forum post on John Byrne's political leanings:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4998&PN=1&totPosts=239

Unless Byrne retroactively edited his post, the only thing he says about his politics is "moderate Republican", literally just those two words.  The cult of Byrne is certainly amusing here, if you're into such antics, but this isn't the post to find amusing banter from Byrne himself AFAICT.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 04:54:14 AM »

Well, I looked up "Byrne fired" in Google and found this. It's not so much what Byrne says (really, who DIDN'T know that he was fairly conservative?) but that guy proposing the conservative comic. That guy might be the biggest talk radio addict on the Internet. But I digress, before getting too far off-topic.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 05:23:13 AM »

If we all think John Byrne is a waste of time and effort, then why do we talk about him so much?

I did a forum search on various creators, and here's the hit count (ie, how many times each name has been mentioned in this forum):

Byrne - 206 matches
Swan - 191 matches
Siegel - 156 matches
Maggin - 152 matches
Shuster - 125 matches
Boring - 103 matches
Ross - 103 matches
Weisinger - 98 matches
Moore - 96 matches
Bates - 93 matches
Waid - 88 matches
Schwartz - 85 matches
Kirby - 83 matches
Adams - 81 matches
Morrison - 56 matches
Jurgens - 48 matches
Schaffenberger - 35 matches
Englehart - 30 matches
Millar - 27 matches
Busiek - 26 matches
Carlin - 22 matches
Kesel - 15 matches
Rude- 13 matches
Simone - 13 matches
Rucka - 11 matches
Bogdanove - 10 matches

Kind of interesting that the guy is at the top of the heap.  Personally, I think Bog's and Byrne's places should be swapped.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 05:52:33 AM »

LOL, well is not so much that we care, it is that he is just fun to poke fun at.
That list is misleading since many times his name is used an an insult, and isn't really talking about him per-say.

I wouldn't care if no one ever mention him again here, heck the way his career is going, there isn't going to be anything to talk about anymore anyway.

His Krypton was reconned out already and replaced by the Birthright one, and someone told me at another board that the current Superman has started to remember things that only the Earth-1 Superman could have known, so Red Beard will be a non-factor soon if all goes the way it seems to be going.

to quote that post:

Actually...

Current Superman has indicated having flashbacks of pre-Crisis memories on several occasions.

He remembered Krypto, he remembered Muhammad Ali, he remembered meeting Earth-Prime Superboy. He had a flashback of pre-Crisis Zor-El and Allura -- as well as the cube shaped Bizarro World once. "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" was indicated as a possible (but apparently unlikely) future for him in SUPERMAN/BATMAN. He was able to build an army of robot doubles. He built a giant key for his new fortress. His history of interaction with The Fourth World, Barry Allen, the JSA and much of the JLA is identical to his pre-Crisis history in the case of many stories. Heck, he recently fought Blackrock and remembered the old version, a character who had never appeared post-Crisis until that story.

The Pre-Crisis LSH hinted that he's the guy who inspired him to form when they showed up recently. Darkseid, who retains pre-Crisis memories, seems to regard him as the same guy. The Linear Men, who are aware of the first Crisis, said that Superman is the same guy, even when reality and history get mucked with. Mxyzptlk has made allusions to facing him pre-Crisis as if it's the same guy.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 01:17:58 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Who the heck is Rucka?

I will have to state once again, That I do not read the current Superman books, because there aren't any.

He is the uberfeminist  writer that makes Supes into a whiny indescisive cheap imitation of cliche' Hamlet and destroys long established characters at whim.. He also never does research. Along with the guy who did "for Tomorrow" ( the worst Superman story ever!! They are the worst of the Superman offfenders in all the modern age. My hatred for these people could smash suns.
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 01:24:56 PM »

Quote from: "DoctorZero"
Unfortunately John Byrne's star has sunk.  At one time he was gold in the comics industry.  Now quite the contrary.
Personally I think Action has improved a bit of late, but I think it seemed disconnected from the rest of the Superman books.

Disconnected in this case was a very good thing.
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 01:26:44 PM »

:

Actually...

Current Superman has indicated having flashbacks of pre-Crisis memories on several occasions.

He remembered Krypto, he remembered Muhammad Ali, he remembered meeting Earth-Prime Superboy. He had a flashback of pre-Crisis Zor-El and Allura -- as well as the cube shaped Bizarro World once. "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" was indicated as a possible (but apparently unlikely) future for him in SUPERMAN/BATMAN. He was able to build an army of robot doubles. He built a giant key for his new fortress. His history of interaction with The Fourth World, Barry Allen, the JSA and much of the JLA is identical to his pre-Crisis history in the case of many stories. Heck, he recently fought Blackrock and remembered the old version, a character who had never appeared post-Crisis until that story.

The Pre-Crisis LSH hinted that he's the guy who inspired him to form when they showed up recently. Darkseid, who retains pre-Crisis memories, seems to regard him as the same guy. The Linear Men, who are aware of the first Crisis, said that Superman is the same guy, even when reality and history get mucked with. Mxyzptlk has made allusions to facing him pre-Crisis as if it's the same guy.
[/quote]

I'm sorry this is NOT the same guy.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 01:53:52 PM »

If we all think John Byrne is a waste of time and effort, then why do we talk about him so much?

Haven't you heard, Rao? The internet was invented as a place to complain about stuff!  Cheesy

Well I'm sure it has some other uses, but that's about 90% of it...

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L