superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:49:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byrne off Action Comics  (Read 13636 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 03:17:39 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Who the heck is Rucka?

Click here. Wikipedia is your friend--unless you're John Byrne.  Smiley

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 02:21:16 AM »

Unfortunately John Byrne's star has sunk.  At one time he was gold in the comics industry.  Now quite the contrary.
Personally I think Action has improved a bit of late, but I think it seemed disconnected from the rest of the Superman books.

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 04:35:23 AM »

As far as I know Byrne wasnt fired- both he and Simone had a finite number contracted.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 04:42:50 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
As far as I know Byrne wasnt fired- both he and Simone had a finite number contracted.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Who said that? Is that the new spin?

To quote Byrne:

Gail and I were hired (tho I was not told this when I agreed to do the book, or I would have declined) to 'fill the gap' between one team and the next."

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 04:54:48 AM »

It's too funny.  I found the quote through the "Quote of the Week" at the Comics Reporter
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/cr_week_in_review10/

I direct anyone who wants a good laugh to read another of Byrne's quotes as linked to from Fanboy Rampage:

http://fanboyrampage.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_fanboyrampage_archive.html#112932588613226757

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 05:17:35 AM »

this was too funny:

The Comics Journal considers one of fandom's favorite topics:

"Just randomly wondering why people have such strong feelings about John Byrne. I missed where he stole everyone's lunch-money and kicked all those babies, or whatever his crimes against humanity are..."

"Apparently he's outspoken or something."

"I think a lot of fans of a certain generation came to think of him as the greatest superhero cartoonist in the world and then, when they grew up, they looked at his stuff again (which hasn't really changed very much over the last 30-odd years) and realised it was just reasonably facile hackwork and felt somehow personally betrayed. I think maybe that explains the strength of feeling, at least partly."

"I've heard nothing - and I mean NOTHING - but bad things about Byrne's treatment of other human beings, especially fans. Common courtesies such as holding a door open or saying please or thank you or moving out of someone's way are apparently beneath his concern. Also, he's *not* a good artist, nor has he ever been. He epitomizes 'hack.'"

"Does he still sit in that giant chair at conventions that makes him tower over the other artists by 4 or 5 feet?"

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 03:17:38 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Who said that? Is that the new spin?

To quote Byrne:

Gail and I were hired (tho I was not told this when I agreed to do the book, or I would have declined) to 'fill the gap' between one team and the next."

John Byrne - who else!  :wink:
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 06:59:46 PM »

HAHAHAHA!!!

Forgive me if someone on this board is very conservative; I mean no harm. But read this forum post on John Byrne's political leanings:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4998&PN=1&totPosts=239

A guy on the forum talks about how he's invested thousands in making a conservative comic book, and then another one talks about his new comic, Super Liberal.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L