superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Crisis: A recap of the last 6+ months. (spoilers)  (Read 5748 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: October 16, 2005, 05:25:56 AM »

This week we're cautiously excited about the return of Superman, discussed in detail in this thread:
http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1908

...so much so that some people on the forum are planning to buy Infinite Crisis #1. Since I've been reading DC comics all year, hoping for something like this to happen, I'm posting a recap to help people understand what's going on when they start reading the issue.

1. Kara Zor-El has returned from somewhere. Her origin hasn't been clarified yet. Similarly, Power Girl can't exactly remember where she came from...and doesn't seem to remember Kal-L, her Earth-2 cousin, at all.

2. In a miniseries called "Identity Crisis," it was revealed that the JLA once erased Dr. Light's memory to protect their identities. When Batman opposed the move, Zatanna also did the same to him...but Bruce knows about it now. In this same miniseries, Jean Loring (wife of Ray Palmer, the Atom) went crazy and killed Sue Dibny (wife of Ralph Dibny, the Elongated Man.) She was put away in Arkham.

3. Regarding the Iron Age Justice League: Kryptonite of various colors was recovered when Kara Zor-El crashed on earth. It was stored in a warehouse belonging to Ted Kord (Blue Beetle) but was stolen. Blue Beetle was killed while investigating this matter.

Infinite Crisis was preceded by four miniseries this year. Here's what happened in them:

1. THE OMAC PROJECT: After learning that the JLA once erased his memory, Batman deployed Brother Eye, a satellite that kept constant watch of superhumans...which Bruce viewed as a possible threat to humanity. However, the satellite has been hijacked and no longer responds to his commands...Maxwell Lord, leader of Checkmate and murderer of Blue Beetle, hijacked the satellite and used it to deploy OMACS...which are much like the agents from "the Matrix." Nanotech possesses normal humans, turning them into agents of Brother Eye.

Maxwell Lord mind-controlled Superman, causing him to attack Bruce Wayne and injure him pretty badly. Wonder Woman caught up with Maxwell Lord, who said she would never stop him unless she killed him. Careful what you wish for...she killed him. This seriously pissed off everyone...Superman, the JLA, and Brother Eye, who has developed AI capable of complex emotions. Brother Eye broadcast images of WW committing the foul deed all over earth, with the subtitle "MURDERER." He also transmitted hundreds of thousands of OMACS to kill all the superhumans on earth.

2. THE RANN/THANAGAR WAR: An ancient soul-eater named Onimar Syn created a bogus war between Rann and Thanagar. He is after Zeta-Beam technology that Rann possesses. Adam Strange, the Hawks, and the Omega Men teamed up to stop him. Good News: They succeeded in Zeta-Beaming Onimar Syn in seven different directions and destroying him. Bad News: It ripped a hole in space-time, and the war between the two planets continues, despite the Green Lantern Corps' attempt to mediate.

3. DAY OF VENGEANCE: After Jean Loring, wife of the Atom, was placed in the loony bin, she was possessed and became the new Eclipso. As Eclipso, she convinced the Spectre (who is currently without a human host, unrestrained) that magic is inherently evil and unnaturral, and that the avenging angel should destroy it. Several minor magical DCU characters, like Detective Chimp, teamed up to stop him. They all fed their powers to Captain Marvel, who temporarily was able to stop him. But it was useless...the Spectre finally confronted the wizard Shazam. The wizard, already weakened by a final battle with Mordru, fell by the hand of the Spectre...his crusade continues.

4. VILLIANS UNITED: In response to the JLA's mindwiping of Dr. Light, a society of supervillians formed, for protection and revenge. Six minor vilians, like Catman, didn't join the union, and were forced to do battle with the society.
MAJOR PLOT TWIST: The society of supervillians was organized and is headed by Luthor. The six holdouts that fought against the society were under the employ of...Luthor! There are TWO LUTHORS!!
-------------------------------------------------

This is where Infinite Crisis #1 begins. As you know by now, Kal-L beat his way through the hypertime barrier this week, meaning that this story could be taking place at the same time as The Kingdom (1998.) It's also been speculated that the "other" Luthor is Luthor of Earth-1. All of that remains to be seen...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 05:39:37 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
This week we're cautiously excited about the return of Superman, discussed in detail in this thread:
http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1908

...so much so that some people on the forum are planning to buy Infinite Crisis #1. Since I've been reading DC comics all year, hoping for something like this to happen,

While I appreciate you thinking of us, it still seems like a lot of work (and pain).  Reading DC comics for a full year, that is. Cheesy

And colour me exuberantly unexcited about the return of "Superman".  And not just because Jim Lee, the King of Ugly and Repugnant Art, is involved in any capacity.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 05:46:06 AM »

Well, I did borrow and read those comics for free  Cheesy

Even I can't afford today's comic prices..and besides, I live nowhere near a comics shop. I have to rely on the goodwill of one of my friends, who does.

What I really wanted to see in this series was the return of Superboy (Clark Kent.) But I'll take Kal-L any day of the week.

Restore the multiverse!

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 05:53:25 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Since I've been reading DC comics all year, hoping for something like this to happen, I'm posting a recap to help people understand what's going on when they start reading the issue.

:shock:

Ouch, my head hurts!

:hit:

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 05:55:38 AM »

Nice recap, Gangbuster.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 06:31:59 AM »

Talk about making the ultimate sacrice....

by reading those comics.

thanks  Tongue

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 06:24:01 PM »

Oh, you've got jokes!  Cheesy

Yes, that was a total of 25 or so comics coming preceding this one, and honestly, most of them sucked. Day of Vengeance was pretty enjoyable though...I mean, it had Detective Chimp in it!

I was expecting them to bring Superboy back...just not Superboy Prime. Superman of Earth-2 was totally unexpected, though...even though he has a novel coming out soon.

-"Superman", 1960

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 06:29:29 PM »

Detective Chimp? Thats insane!   :shock:

Where's Angel & the Ape and Binky while we're at it? :wink:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM