superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:18:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CARY BATES FANS  (Read 10352 times)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 07:31:26 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
There was one Len Wein story I loved in the "Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told" TPB with Batman against the Calendar Man that was brilliant and sharp. What can I say about the guy that created "Krakatoa, the Living Island?"

Krakoa, actually.  And he was one of the writers behind Braggadoom, the Mountain That Walked Like A Man.

But yes, Len's done many a fine story -- including that Calendar Man story, which Walt "Walt" Simonson drew.

You once worked with Don Heck - what was he like?

I never met him, sadly.  But he did a terrific job on the story we did together, and I'd have loved to have worked with him more.

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
I also have Cary's screenplay for SUPERMAN V, and it's a treat, too -- a very nice Brainiac story.

WOW! Now this I haven't heard of. Please, give details!

Mostly, Cary wrote a screenplay, but the movie never happened.  I'm sure he's got a raft of unproduced screenplays, and I'm sure most of 'em are good -- the odds are against anything written for Hollywood ever actually making it to the multiplex...

kdb
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 11:46:25 AM »

When I was at Parsons and given to hanging out at Continuity Studios, Cary was doing a script for Moonraker and the storyboards were done by Neal Adams and his posse (Dick G, Steve Mitchell, Jack Abel, Larry Hama, and the usual batch of Crusty Bunkers).

Gorgeous stuff and a lot better than what was made IIRC.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 02:04:26 PM »

Wow!  I knew Bates did a script for "The Spy Who Loved Me" (certain elements of which were used), but I didn't know he worked on "Moonraker"!

And storyboards by Neal and crew?  That would be an incredible thing to see.  Tell me more...maybe with some luck I can did up enough for an article at my Bond site.

This looks like a job for...
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 03:20:16 PM »

I know this is slightly off-topic but, since Kurt mentions it, wasn't Len Wein the creator of Swamp Thing?  That was a spectacularly well-done series even before Moore got his hands on it.

I also loved Wein's work on DC Comics Presents such as the N'Gon/GL story, and IIRC he was behind the original Warworld trilogy (Martian Manhunter < Superman, Supergirl = Superman, The Spectre > Superman in structure).  I believe Warworld immediately succeeded the GL/N'Gon story.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 03:48:25 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
I know this is slightly off-topic but, since Kurt mentions it, wasn't Len Wein the creator of Swamp Thing?  That was a spectacularly well-done series even before Moore got his hands on it.

I also loved Wein's work on DC Comics Presents such as the N'Gon/GL story, and IIRC he was behind the original Warworld trilogy (Martian Manhunter < Superman, Supergirl = Superman, The Spectre > Superman in structure).  I believe Warworld immediately succeeded the GL/N'Gon story.

Swamp Thing was created by Len Wein and Berni Wrightson. He was a bit of a unoffical remake of the golden age character The Heap... ok so he is a rip off, but they did it better Smiley http://www.toonopedia.com/heap.htm

Read an recent interview with Len Wein: http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/features/lenwein/default.asp

back to Mr.Bates...

here is pic of Cary Bates of Earth-Prime from a Flash story:

And here is the cover of Amazing World of DC Comics #2 by Kurt Schaffenberger, that's Bates and Maggin upfront and Kurt looking over Superman shoulder.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 04:05:26 PM »

You know, just like we have a section devoted to Maggin's Superman stories on this site, we should also have a section for Bates' Superman work.  They seem to be the greatest influences on the Bronze Age and are perhaps the signature writers of the period.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Wow!  I knew Bates did a script for "The Spy Who Loved Me" (certain elements of which were used), but I didn't know he worked on "Moonraker"!

And storyboards by Neal and crew?  That would be an incredible thing to see.  Tell me more...maybe with some luck I can did up enough for an article at my Bond site.

Wish I could Nightwing but only seeing the some of boards breifly once some 30 ought years ago I wish I could give details other than they were terrific. I vaguely remember a space war sequence
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 05:22:47 PM »

You know what I love about that cover? 1970's Lois when they gave her longer black hair again and made her slender yet curvy and stylish.  Cheesy

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L