superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts & speculations about Krypton.  (Read 26390 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2005, 04:17:41 AM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
As for the legion stories claiming that krypton was colonized by daxam.  How was that claim presented in the stories?  Was that shown to be a fact?  Or did Lar-Gand/Mon-El mention that as something he believed?  Also how do you account for the planet Zoron?  Hyperman's home planet.

Mon-El: "I'll let you in on one of the galaxy's hidden secrets, Jo.  Kryptonians and Daxamites share the same genetic heritage."
Gigi Cusmano: "You and him [Dev-Em] related?
White Witch: "We are all products of planetary seeding, officer.  Naltorians can trace their line back ... to the Sorceror's World, and even to Earth!"
Ultra Boy: "Wow!  So, which one was the colony planet, Mon-El?  Krypton or Daxam?"
Mon-El: "Well, I suppose we could be accused of chauvinism, but I was taught in school that Daxam is the parent world."
Dev-Em (awakening, recovering from green K-poisoning): "Uhhhh ... No way, Mon-El.  I'm not claiming you as my long-lost daddy."
-- Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes #325, July 1985, page 6, panels 2 - 6

It must be noted that Lar's med-settings were what helped restore a nearly-dead Dev-Em. Said settings made Jo think Mon had been studying Kryptonian physiology when Mon's explanation was he used settings appropriate for their shared heritage (see quote above).  The fact that Mon's settings saved Dev's life is pretty safe evidence they are indeed related and of the same species, regardless of Dev's woozy protestations.

Also, Lar was both an astronaut and a Daxamite scientist while Dev was a juvenile delinquent on their respective worlds.  I'd be inclined to think Mon had a better education and better credibility on this than Dev.

Zoron was either retconned out of existence by its lack of being mentioned ever again in the stories.  Or if it did still exist in continuity, then Zoron might have been colonized by Daxam too.  We colonize our entire solar system and many other ones in many future histories, so it's not a stretch at all that if Daxam colonized Krypton that they also would do so to any another habitable world in the same solar system.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2005, 10:16:45 PM »

Krypton could still be the parent world.  It could turn out that the daxamites chose to believe that daxam was the parent world.  While who really colonized who, could be something that was "lost to history".  Or deliberately suppressed.  For all we know Lexor could be the true parent world to both the kryptonians & daxamites. :twisted:   Believing something & knowing it are often two entirely different things.  Also in the real world as we learn more, many of the things we "have always known to be true", turn out to have no real basis in reality.  Here is a funny thought.  What if planets like: daxam; lexor; & zoron really are alternate-kryptons?  By that i mean counterparts of krypton from parallel universes, that were somehow moved from their original universes into the Earth-1 universe.  maybe that is why the universes of Earths X, S, & 4 (among others) didn't seem to have their own kryptons.  Just a thought i have had over the years.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2005, 01:51:57 AM »

Krypton being colonized from outside is a pretty strongly documented fact, such as it is.

Now, Daxam and Krypton may have come from a common root world themselves, though that opens another can of worms.

The fact that the original colonists struggled for early generations with the higher gravity, felt more comfortable crawling than walking, and the infant mortality rate was frightfully high for many generations can't be discounted.  Consider the strong evidence that the 163 lb Superboy was stronger than the 200 lb Mon-El or the 190 lb Ultra Boy (see LSH thread on that board).  A difference of over 10 lbs is a significant weight advantage in the real world.  To be outweighed by 37 lbs and still be physically superior or even considered an equal is glaring evidence that Daxamite physical development is lesser than Kryptonian development.  Supergirl at 123 lbs is considered at least Mon's equal and certainly superior to Ultra Boy.

I suggest the Kryptonian physical superiority is evidence that Daxam was the colonizing world since they didn't have that adaptation to the relatively higher G yet.  It would be a bit of a coincidence to have that evidence of physical superiority, those references to outside Kryptonian colonization, and the claim Daxam is that parent world.  Once is an accident.  Twice is a coincidence.  Thrice is a conspiracy.

Nice thought on the alternate Kryptons and we just might see that in the books one day.  The creators are known to mine the internet forums for good ideas which is why some of our stuff sometimes is in the books.  I can point to some of my own ideas that 'coincidentally' translated into elements in stories after I posted them.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2005, 11:17:58 PM »

None of the other kryptonians were shown doing any of Kal's high-end feats.  What if all kryptonians & daxamites have a "holding back" reflex (for want of a better name)?

I tend to discount the bronze-age claims that kryptonians are not native to krypton, but are descendants of colonists.  When i think of zoron, daxam, & lexor as alternate kryptons; i mean it in the sense that the kryptons in the universes of Earths 1, 2, & 3 are alternate kryptons.  Kryptonians & daxamites are the same species in the sense that humans from Earth-1 are the same species as humans from Earth-2.  Untill relatively recent times daxam (for example) was still in its original universe.  They even started exploring that universe.  Maybe they had colonies that are still in that universe.  Someone/thing as yet unknown, for reasons as yet unknown decided to move several alternate-kryptons into the Earth-1 universe.  Of course they are in separate red star systems.  Some even in other galaxies.  The inhabitants of the dimensionally relocated krypton counterparts are unaware they are no longer in their original universes.  At most they believe they were moved to a different part of their original universe.

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2005, 11:31:13 PM »

Yes, you are truly a citizen of the omniverse... :lol:  I can dig that...

I discount the Bronze Age as well, but for different reasons, I liked the Green Lanterns, Oans, etc, Kryptonians, Daxamites (yeah bring on the manhunters and all the other gobbledy gok) and all as separate beings, interacting to be sure, like many nations interact as they discover and learn from each other through history, but not tied together under some universal "truth"...its not canon to me if I don't think it works...might as well be religion or something (from which the term originated). Cool
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2005, 12:25:03 AM »

Another thing from the bronze-age i discount the idea that except for two alien planets (Vartox's home planet Valeron, & Karb-Brak's unnamed home world) just about everything was depicted as being in the Milky Way galaxy.  Too much like Star Trek.  At least with Marvel we saw nice cool things like galactic empires.  Plus if the Guardians (& the GLC) are only concerned with one galaxy as opposed to their entire universe, shouldn't they be called the Guardians of the galaxy instead of the Guardians of the universe?

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2005, 12:36:31 AM »

Yep...before the Bronze Age decided to wrap it up in a neat "answer" package, think of the possibilities that could have unfolded over the years in space, time, and quantum realities...

In the Golden Age, we had heroes who came from other planets, self trained avengers, people who derived magic from "God", people who derived powers from ancient Egyptian wings and elements, people with personal "genies", people with lantern powers and talking cars, and out and out magicians...that tapestry is far richer than the Oans, Daxamites and a neat continuity...and here the Golden Age is not even "real" because some writer decided to give Lex Luthor red hair longer than Siegal and Schuster...

A gruff and good natured, bah! :lol:
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 12:31:35 AM »

In the bronze-age DC tended think that Comics readers couldn't handle temporary confusion.  Thus they assumed they needed to make the Superman of Earth-2 as different from his Earth-1 counterpart as possible.  This helps explain certain departures from the real golden-age.  Kal-L as Superman's real name, even though he was Kal-El since 1942.  Clark still working at the Daily Star, even though most of his career was at the Daily Planet.  In the real golden-age Clark & Lois probably left the Daily Star & went to work for the Daily Planet.  Reporters in the real world change employers all the time.  Luthor as the red haired Alexie Luthor, since 1941 Luthor was bald & prior to 1960 there was no mention of Luthor even having a first name.  DC could have said that in those first several appearances Luthor was wearing some kind of toupee or hairpiece.  Being a super-genius he could make a super-convincing one.  Why would he stop wearing it?  First time he was put in jail/prison that toupee/hairpiece was confiscated.  Luthor sees no point in wearing that thing once the world knows he is bald.  Maybe it gets pointed out to him, that he looks better bald.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L