superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts & speculations about Krypton.  (Read 26373 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2005, 12:50:50 AM »

All those things could have been true...what story telling reason justified the small differences introduced in the 40s being so major for distinguishing the Golden Age and Earth 2 Superman?

Was the Golden Age Earth destroyed in the Crisis?
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2005, 03:34:52 AM »

Look I want head ache bands and red suns on my chest - thats all
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »

While fans are free to accept or reject stories and ideas in the books, they don't have the right to make up whole new aspects not reflected at all in the books.

So, sure, go ahead and reject any Bronze Age references to Rao actually being the name of Krypton's sun or the Guardians being involved in Krypton or Daxam being the parent world of Krypton.  But don't think making your own stuff up has greater weight than that rejected canon.  In a very real sense, that kind of rejecting of canon is selective referencing.

As per my discussion with Kurt Busiek on this, fans don't really have input into the creative process except as a marketing feedback mechanism on whether something is accepted or not.  We don't 'inject' ideas but we can accept or reject what is published.  And fan reaction was more along the lines of "D'Oh!  Of course Daxamites and Kryptonians are related, in hindsight!" rather than the vehement rejection acccompanying such works as MOS, Crisis, and OWAW.

Moreover, the neat coincidences of kryptonite being the antidote to Daxamite lead vulnerability and their shared inability to X-ray view through lead (suspiciously the same element that Daxamites are vulnerable to overall) while all other X-ray vision capable races and beings aren't limited by lead (though comet-powered Star Boy had the substitute limitation of copper instead) add more fuel to the fire that Daxam and Krypton are related.  In the Post Crisis DCU, both Krypton and Daxam use birthing pods (ref: MOS miniseries and Invasion!).  Nevermind that their powers are virtually identical to begin with (Daxamites seeming to be more vulnerable mentally and lead having a permanent instead of a temporary poisoning effect like kryptonite has on Kryptonians).

Also, other posters have made much of Krypton being so advanced yet being too stupid to decide to leave the planet or otherwise halt the explosion.  Hmmm, millions of people overeat to get diabetes, coronary artery disease and other obesity related diseases and they still do so.  Millions of people still smoke and get cancer, emphysema and the other tobacco related diseases and they do so in flagrant defiance of the overwhelming evidence that cigarettes are bad for them.  We freely allow the rain forests to be destroyed and the very ecology we depend on to be despoiled for mere short-term gain.  I see no reason why the Kryptonians should be faulted for disbelieving an unpopular doomsday forecast when our own world has so many stupid acts to compare it with.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2005, 04:55:39 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Was the Golden Age Earth destroyed in the Crisis?

What most fans misunderstand is all the previous DC Earths/universe were destroyed and a new amalgamated DC Earth/universe resulted from the Crisis.  Earth-1 wasn't the new Earth as it was gone too.  The DCU was rebooted from the Big Bang so the other Earths never existed in the revised timeline, only the one Earth.

The GA Earth may be considered surviving in the same sense as E-1 surviving as part of that composite timeline.  Certainly, key elements of it survived like the JSA/All-Star Squadron and their involvement in WW2.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2005, 05:25:58 PM »

I've never seen Golden Age Universe listed in any of the indexes of the Universes resources, but I could be wrong...
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2005, 05:36:42 PM »

To be honest, ditto for me.

I think it's assumed that (a) E-2 in the past is the Golden Age Earth, and (b) even if it's not the same Earth then it's firmly established in the Crisis that all the previous multiverse of Earths were erased one way or another and rebooted as a single Earth at the Dawn of Time.  We never saw all the other 'infinite Earths' but it was implied that they were all part of the reboot.  It seems only the five Earths that survived the Anti-Monitors attacks went into the combined final Earth.  The others were completely wiped out forevermore by the antimatter waves.

IMHO Wink

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2005, 08:21:14 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
To be honest, ditto for me.

I think it's assumed that (a) E-2 in the past is the Golden Age Earth, and (b) even if it's not the same Earth then it's firmly established in the Crisis that all the previous multiverse of Earths were erased one way or another and rebooted as a single Earth at the Dawn of Time.  

The previous mulitverse was wiped away, but not the current one.   The one described in Justice League: The Nail II

With Infinite Crisis being hyped as to taking place on the worlds of The Kingdom and The Nail, we have a new multiverse
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2005, 10:57:44 PM »

In the early-mid 80s, the writers & editors knew that the Crisis (& the post-crisis reboots) was coming.  A lot of the storylines & revelations in the 80s reflect that.  I imagine there being several DC Multiverses.  They include: The (Pre-Crisis) Crossover Multiverse; the pre-crisis DC/Marvel crossovers take place here.  In this multiverse, DC's Earth-1 & Marvel's Marvel-Earth are the same earth.  The Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse; Crisis never happened here.  The Freedom Fighters are native to Earth-X, the Quality characters used in All-Star Squadron are their Earth-2 counterparts.  This Multiverse was last seen (in our DC Comics titles) in the late 70s-early 80s.  The Crisis Multiverse; Crisis started here.  The Freedom Fighters are natives of Earth-2, who migrated to Earth-X.  When the Crisis "ended" this multiverse was still largely intact.  Minus the 1,000-3,000 universes destroyed by the Anti-Monitor.  This multiverse was last seen (in our DC titles) circa Crisis #10.  The Post-Crisis DC Multiverse; first seen in Crisis #11.  Last seen (in our DC titles) just before the byrne/wolfman Superman reboot.  The Reboot Multiverse (for want of a better name); first seen in the "Manof steel" mini-series.  And i don't doubt that there are many many other DC Multiverses coexisting in the Omniverse.  Sure this is fan speculation on my part.  But it's fun, which is why i do it.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L