superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:20:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Showcase Presents...  (Read 6978 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: October 18, 2005, 03:04:58 AM »

Has anyone got these yet? Would it be better to get Showcase Presents, or wait for the next installment of Man of Tomorrow archives?

Just looking for some opinions on the subject...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 03:44:27 AM »

Both Cheesy

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 11:23:21 AM »

...actually, it's what I really do.  I got the first Archives of Man of Tomorow (and all the Superman related ones - except lsh) and got the Showcase.  Ten bucks for a book won't change much in my life.  Archives I want - even my wife who's not on Superman loves the Archives - she says they are very nice books.

P.S. You never thought Brainiac was married, eh?  Well, sometimes I need my pink shirt ironed, the old saucer washed around - I'm a 50s type of alien - y'know...

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 01:41:24 PM »

P.S. You never thought Brainiac was married, eh? Well, sometimes I need my pink shirt ironed, the old saucer washed around - I'm a 50s type of alien - y'know...

Aha!  At last the origin of Brainiac's pink shirt!  It started as a white shirt but the missus left a pair of red panties in the wash...

I just got my "Showcase" book and I feel like a little kid again...what a great item!  At 500 pages, it's got all of Archive 1, all that will be in Archive 2 and a little of Archive 3, so I'm thrilled (the more the merrier!).

Whether I will continue to buy the Archives remains to be seen.  There's just something about that red and blue outfit that's not quite as fun in black and white, but I have to tell you a big part of comics' appeal for me was always their price point.  I grew up in the days of "100 pages for 50 cents", and these books recapture those glory days wonderfully.

My gut feeling now is that I will not buy the second Archive, but then when it hits the stands, I'll probably give in.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 03:22:41 PM »

With the Archives, what you are paying for is color, best paper, best reproduction quality, hardcover, basically something substantial that will look good on your bookshelf and you can keep forever.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »

Quote from: "Brainiac44"
...actually, it's what I really do.  I got the first Archives of Man of Tomorow (and all the Superman related ones - except lsh) and got the Showcase.  Ten bucks for a book won't change much in my life.  Archives I want - even my wife who's not on Superman loves the Archives - she says they are very nice books.

P.S. You never thought Brainiac was married, eh?  Well, sometimes I need my pink shirt ironed, the old saucer washed around - I'm a 50s type of alien - y'know...

I just have to ask...do you happen to have a metal-eating mole?

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 02:31:16 AM »

Sliver Age Superman rules....

Diamond's Top 100 Graphic Novels ith Estimated Sales to Retailers

Showcase Presents Superman Vol. 1 came in at #4 , however it was really tied at #3 with Alex Ross's Worlds Greatest Super Heroes Oversized Slipcase HC , they both sold the same number of books at 5,500 copies each in September.

As far as the other Superman titles for Sep:

#5 Superman/Batman No. 22 $2.99 DC 103,200 copies - Note that this book is the closest to the classic Superman (in modern terms anyway) aka Superman and Batman are friends, etc.

#6 Supergirl No. 2 $2.99 DC 101,700 copies - Note that DC was pimping this Supergirl as the real deal.

#27 Superman No. 221 $2.50 DC 69,100 copies

#29 Superman/Shazam: First Thunder No. 1 $3.50 DC 66,400 copies

#35 Action Comics No. 831 $2.50 DC 55,300 copies

#44 Advs of Superman No. 644 $2.50 DC 49,200 copies

- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 03:58:31 AM »

I have reached a compromise with myself, and my internal conflict is over!  Smiley

I shall purchase Showcase Presents to put in my classroom!

I've wanted some classic Superman tales to put in my classroom (I teach 6th grade) but I didn't want the kids to destroy my man of tomorrow archives, which cost about the same as a vital organ.

But at the sum of ten dollars for 500 pages, I can finally buy some for my class!

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L