superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman fearing Jor-El's disapproval  (Read 4551 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« on: October 18, 2005, 08:45:45 PM »

World’s Finest Comics No. 201
March 1971
Cover: Superman, Green Lantern, and Felix Faust disguised as Dr. Fate in space //Neal Adams
Story: “A Prize of Peril” (22 pages)
Editor: Julius Schwartz
Writer: Denny O’Neil
Penciller: Dick Dillin
Inker: Joe Giella
Feature Characters: Superman (last appearance in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #88; next appears in SUPERMAN #236), Green Lantern (last appearance in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #88; next appears in GREEN LANTERN #83)
GA: Green Arrow (last appearance in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #88; next appears in GREEN LANTERN #83), Atom, Hawkman (both between JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #88 / 89; all appear, with Superman and Green Lantern, as the Justice League of America)
Cameo: Dr. Fate, Guardians of the Universe, Jor-El (as illusions)
Villain: Felix Faust (between JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #49 / 103)
Synopsis: Superman and Green Lantern get into a rivalry over their respective powers, and Felix Faust takes the opportunity to masquerade as Dr. Fate, create an illusion of a Guardian of the Universe, and lure both of them into a power-test which is actually a trap.

I was mistaken.  I thought Maggin wrote that tale but Denny O'Neil did.  Just the same, Maggin cribbed from that story the bit about the man-child fearing daddy Jor-El's disapproval for his LSOK novel.

I told you I'd get to it eventually, Great Rao.

Now, what other outstanding promises do I have to keep? ...

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 07:15:10 AM »

Well there was that million dollar donation you promised me....Cheesy

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 01:23:03 PM »

Speaking of Jor-El and Maggin, was it ever established that Jordan Elliott's last name was an Alan Moore homage to Maggin?
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 02:37:30 PM »

Quote from: "RedSunOfKrypton"
Well there was that million dollar donation you promised me....Cheesy

Cheque's in the mail, dude. j/k

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Speaking of Jor-El and Maggin, was it ever established that Jordan Elliott's last name was an Alan Moore homage to Maggin?

I don't know.

I always thought it was more of a twist on JORdan ELliot being an homage to Kal's daddy Jor-El.  He's taken the alias CALvin ELkins which is a play on his own Kryptonian name in the past.

I guess the only way to know for sure is if someone could ask Alan Moore about this.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 02:51:20 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"

I don't know.

I always thought it was more of a twist on JORdan ELliot being an homage to Kal's daddy Jor-El.  He's taken the alias CALvin ELkins which is a play on his own Kryptonian name in the past.

I guess the only way to know for sure is if someone could ask Alan Moore about this.

I knew about JORdan ELliot = Jor-El, which is why I said "Speaking of Jor-El" Smiley  I was just wondering why not Elkins or Ellison or whatever, figured Moore or Maggin may have spoken of it in the past if it were more than coincidence.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 02:54:56 PM »

I always thought it was more of a twist on JORdan ELliot being an homage to Kal's daddy Jor-El.

Guys, this is Alan Moore we're talking about here.  It's both, with probably 33 additional meanings that we aren't even aware of.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »

Cheque's in the mail, dude.
It's so good to see the proper spelling of cheque. Tongue

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Guys, this is Alan Moore we're talking about here. It's both, with probably 33 additional meanings that we aren't even aware of.
Haha yeah.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L