superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *SPOILER AHEAD* Alex Ross Justice #2!  (Read 15220 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 06:05:08 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
I hope they don't get gratutiously graphic with this though.

"get" gratuitously graphic?  Seems to me that they already have!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 06:23:31 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

"get" gratuitously graphic?  Seems to me that they already have!

I haven't seen the rest of the issue yet I'm just going by the one image there.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 07:31:22 AM »

So was I.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 08:15:31 AM »

Poor Aquaman...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 10:18:24 AM »

Like a fish out of his waters...

lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 12:17:23 PM »

It's intresting, though I dig the chrome skelton look myself.

The closest they get to graphic violence are dark (and I mean non-bright) images of ape bodies on surgery tables and a monkey with an open skull, all so dark as to show very few details.

All in all, not overwhelmingly tasteless.  

The Backstory that Alex Ross used for Brainiac is also pure Pre-Crisis Golden Age stuff, only updated: a single "Skynet" style Artificial Intelligence instead of a group of Computer Tyrants.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 01:53:04 PM »

Didn't Ross already do the green-skinned Brainiac as the villain in the Superman/Batman comic in the back of his "Mythology" book?

He looked about the same there, I thought?

This looks like a job for...
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 03:26:24 PM »

I'd have to check, I have that book.  

Back to the image though - it's more suggestive than anything else.  You must remember that back in the 50s they had worse images - ON THE COVERS not on DC but from other comics.  Brainiac is holding a bloody knife and he leaves us with the idea that he's going to open up Aquaman like a coconut but I bet money against cookies that it won't happen.  Can you imagine the scene that we would see?  Brainiac cutting open Aqua's head with no anesthetic?  I don't think DC would go for that.  Then there's also the fact that if it happened, it would mean that Aquaman dies or at least changes form - now that Brainiac has cities in bottles he wants to have brains in bottles?  Hey - that's copyright infringement of Futurama...  

Me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L