superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *SPOILER AHEAD* Alex Ross Justice #2!  (Read 15243 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 02:50:24 AM »

I for one, thought the Brainiac with the knife was a wonderfully disturbing B-movie moment. All Brainiac really needed to do was put Aquaman's head on top of a giant washing machine/television set and you've got the gadget from THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN.

Where's Ro-Man, that television-set headed gorilla, when you need him? "I have been programmed to destroy - AND I WILL DO IT WITH MY BARE HANDS!"

Nightwing pointed it out, but it ought to be worth repeating: no graphic violence was actually shown. The scene is effective, and we are filled with suspense and dread, because Ross cuts away right before anything terrible happens - which is something someone with far less style and self control would not do.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 09:25:11 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
It's just an endless Marvel darkfic, the kind which you can read for free on ff.net.

I think sometimes the Ross obsession with realism works against it. I think he should focus more on what works best about his style which is not realism but the ability to bring the fantastic to life.

I learn new things here all the time.  "Marvel darkfic".  Awesome.

This comic sounds gross.  Just what my better half would have a negative "superhero comics are so gross" reaction to.  Thank Rao there are quality comics for kids and adults not published by DC or related to Alex Ross.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 04:01:48 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
I for one, thought the Brainiac with the knife was a wonderfully disturbing B-movie moment. All Brainiac really needed to do was put Aquaman's head on top of a giant washing machine/television set and you've got the gadget from THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN.

I thought of a specific B-movie when I first saw it -- Bruce Campbell's "The Man With The Screaming Brain".  If Braniac were a Star Trek fembot, this would be the "Spock's Brain" episode.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2005, 07:32:38 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Where's Ro-Man, that television-set headed gorilla, when you need him? "I have been programmed to destroy - AND I WILL DO IT WITH MY BARE HANDS!"

Nightwing pointed it out, but it ought to be worth repeating: no graphic violence was actually shown. The scene is effective, and we are filled with suspense and dread, because Ross cuts away right before anything terrible happens - which is something someone with far less style and self control would not do.

That is a very good point. I'd imagine that if this was the Identity/Infinite  Crisis crew doing the story instead of Ross the knife would've already been half-way into Arthurs skull by the time we got to the last page. Even when Ross goes for the throat there seems to be a measure of tact attempted which is far more than I could say for the others.

I think also for me I'm very used to thinking of Brainiac in terms of the chrome skeleton version or the STAS version where he is a cold machine rather than a creature who performs lobodomies.

I'll see where Ross is going with it though. I think his Parasite redesign is prolly the most needlessly gratuitous of them all. With Bizzaro I want to see how he plays Bizzaros personality though I fear they'll prolly go way to far with him the way they did in IC.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L