superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Should the online Maggin stories be canonical? (READ THE POST BEFORE VOTING!)  (Voting closed: October 20, 2005, 07:29:26 PM)
No, neither of them, they don't fit the guidelines - 6 (46.2%)
Yes, both of them, Maggin is canonical by definition - 6 (46.2%)
Just Starwinds Howl - 0 (0%)
Just Luthor's Gift - 1 (7.7%)
Just the photonucleic-effect paragraph - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the on-line Maggin prose stories be canonical?  (Read 14792 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: October 20, 2005, 12:29:26 AM »

Over in this thread, Beppo raised the posibility of voting on a few additional things.

This poll is to address one of those issues.

When I first set-up Supermanica, I was following the guidelines of Fleisher's Great Superman Book in establishing the canonical sources and limiting it to the Superman-specific titles published by DC prior to the Crisis cut-off point in 1985 or 1986, whenever it was.

As much as I was (and still am) an extreme fan of all things Maggin (as can be seen from this site), I felt that my own preferences and desires shouldn't get in the way of Supermanica's objectivity, so I left out Luthor's Gift and Starwinds Howl since neither of them was published by DC, and they were both written after Crisis.

But I figured we should open it up for discussion and poll-taking to see what happens.  So either vote now, or think about it a bit, or read and/or participate in the discussion for a bit, and then vote when you're ready.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 03:08:45 AM »

Miracle Monday is canonical because Kristin Wells appeared in the comics. Last Son of Krypton is canonical because Miracle Monday refers to it. By the same token, I believe that Luthor's Gift is canonical, because Miracle Monday refers to it. The final dialogue from Miracle Monday:

"Tell me something seriously, Kris."

"Can't promise.  It's against the rules, even for you."

"Just one thing.  Do I ever make friends with Luthor again?"

She thought about how to tell him and how much to tell him.  He was Superman, after all, she had to tell him something.  Finally, she just whispered, "Someday."
-----------------

Since Luthor's Gift seems to be a logical outgrowth of Miracle Monday, It's in. On the other hand, Starwinds Howl isn't as easy. I love the story, BUT...

a) Do we have any other record of the space-pirates mentioned in the story?
b) Does the story change the perception of Krypto that we previously held from reading comics alone?
c) Does the photonucleic effect conflict with any other explanations of (Earth-1) Superman's powers?

In my view, Luthor's Gift is no problem. Even though it details years that aren't covered in canon, we have a canonical source to back it up. Starwinds Howl details years not covered by canon, without such a luxury.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:21:48 AM »

I wonder what will happen in a poll about Elliot S! Maggin of Earth-Prime, since he only appeared in Justice League.

:wink:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 04:31:52 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
I wonder what will happen in a poll about Elliot S! Maggin of Earth-Prime, since he only appeared in Justice League.

If he didn't appear in the canonical sources, then he doesn't exist.  :shock:

Although, if Maggin himself ends up being voted a canonical source, then I suppose we could just ask him whether or not he exists...  Hopfully he would know.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:14:56 AM »

This poll is getting very metaphysical.   Cheesy

I suppose that some Maggin novel stuff is already canonical, as are some things from the novels that are also in the comics (and short stories?).  Hard to draw the line but I'd be okay with the canon as it now stands for the forseeable future.  All of Maggin as canon is tempting though because of the nature of the project.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 12:34:36 AM »

Well, those of you against the short stories being added should probably vote against them.  They way things are looking right now, they'll very likely be added in.

S!

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 04:31:37 AM »

I say no.

Why?

Not in canonical sources.

Written post crisis.

Just because they appear here and Maggin is beloved "it is forbidden to interfere" with the rules of Supermanica.

Rather let his stories stir...............here. S!

Double EL hath spoken.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »

Ah, the mysteries of "canon"...yikes!

There is no way everyone will agree...if it was me, it would be all comic sources up to the Sandman Saga, and then, end... :lol:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L