superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Gets Robbed By Variety Magazine  (Read 7935 times)
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« on: October 22, 2005, 03:26:01 PM »

Superman, who's S is the second most recognized symbol in the world next to the Cross, has no mention whatsoever in Variety Magazine's 100 icons of the last 100 years. Other fictional characters made it in, but not our favorite Man of Steel, nor his mild mannered counterpart.

Here's the list: http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=variety100&content=jump2&jump=iconIndex

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 04:04:14 PM »

Quote from: "RedSunOfKrypton"
Superman, who's S is the second most recognized symbol in the world next to the Cross

Do you have a link that mentions this?

I have no idea of how well-known the "S" is in, say, China.

And screw Variety magazine...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 05:32:44 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Superman, who's S is the second most recognized symbol in the world next to the Cross

Do you have a link that mentions this?

I have no idea of how well-known the "S" is in, say, China.

And screw Variety magazine...

Very well known in China. Superman was even mention in Kung-Fu movies (not dubbed ones, subtitled) when people get superpowers.

Superman the movie was released in China:

When Superman was released in Communist China in 1985 the Worker's Daily called Superman "a brave hero of incomparable strength who clearly distinguishes what to love and hate and culls strength from weakness."

I have never heard of anyone who didn't know who Superman was, even if they never seen a Superman comic before.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »

I got it from this thing I read online awhile ago, I'll try to find it again. Also the Oprah people did a nationwide poll that showed her as the most recognized pop culture icon (yeah right) and Superman as number 2. So even though logic tells us they lied to make her look good, that Superman is number 2 on their list really says something about his recognizability.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 08:03:38 PM »

I got it from this thing I read online awhile ago, I'll try to find it again. Also the Oprah people did a nationwide poll that showed her as the most recognized pop culture icon (yeah right) and Superman as number 2. So even though logic tells us they lied to make her look good, that Superman is number 2 on their list really says something about his recognizability.

At one point Superman was officially recognized as the 3 most famous fictional characters along with Tarzan and Mickey Mouse. That was BEFORE the 1st Superman movie.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 08:26:16 PM »

WHAT, the "Death of Superman" arc wasn't what made him famous? :twisted:
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 01:19:39 AM »

Quote from: "SuperMonkey"
Very well known in China. Superman was even mention in Kung-Fu movies (not dubbed ones, subtitled) when people get superpowers.

One really great example of Superman's fame in China is possibly one of the greatest Shaw Brothers' movies ever, INFRA-MAN, whose original title was INFRAMAN: THE CHINESE SUPERMAN.

INFRA-MAN may not be as well known as Superman, but well, he ought to be.  :rotfl: That was one great creature movie. Who can forget lines like "We're doing this for the children of the world," and "Gentlemen, the situation is so bad, it is the worst in human history."

Though Variety leaving off Superman was a pretty cheesy oversight - if they left off the Coca-Cola logo, they'd be doubly cursed.

I'm not going to repeat what we already know: we're going to learn squat from magazine lists. There was a music industry magazine reader poll held in the 1980s where "History's Greatest Guitarist" was given to the guy from the Bay City Rollers.

These polls also tell a lot about the prejudices of the magazines themselves. MAXIM, that bastion of misogyny and homophobia run by perpetual middle school boys, voted as the greatest movie villains of all time, the rednecks from DELIVERANCE. While they were spooky villains, I think naming them the most frightening villain of all time (over Dracula, Hannibal Lecter, and Basil Rathbone's Sherriff of Nottingham) says more about the neuroses and fears of the perpetually immature Maxim editorship.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 02:30:43 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Quote from: "SuperMonkey"

One really great example of Superman's fame in China is possibly one of the greatest Shaw Brothers' movies ever, INFRA-MAN, whose original title was INFRAMAN: THE CHINESE SUPERMAN.

INFRA-MAN may not be as well known as Superman, but well, he ought to be.  :rotfl: That was one great creature movie. Who can forget lines like "We're doing this for the children of the world," and "Gentlemen, the situation is so bad, it is the worst in human history."

That is the Amercian title, not the original one.
Those lines are only in the dub version, the Amercian company that released it here tried to make in campy like Batman. They renamed the characters and gave them weird and campy lines to say.

The original title is Jung-Gwok chiu-yan which translates to The Super Inframan.

It was a knock off of Japanese superheroes Ultraman and Kamen Rider, but it's pretty awesome on it's own, and is a huge cult classic. Even Roger Ebert went back and gave it more stars.

Any fan of Ultraman and/or Kamen Rider, should check it out.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L