superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Were the old days really that good?  (Read 9725 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 05:01:45 PM »

I don't see any more "realism" in the Iron Age, just a darker more cynical fantasy view...I like an upbeat, positive, and somewhat goofy at times fantasy view...

That is why young children are reading Harry Potter (huge complex fantasy books) instead of Superman.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 05:48:19 PM »

I actually don't mind comics that are geared toward an adult-only audience. I  love Swamp Thing, The Long Halloween, etc.

What I don't like is superhero comics geared toward an adult-only audience.  Superheroes aren't supposed to be like Sin City. They're supposed to be like...well, Superman.

Maybe it's true that more adults read comics now. It's also true that DC is still dependent on its Golden Age characters to make money...so they've tried to cram them into a more adult setting. It doesn't work, and I wish DC could make money doing something else and give those characters back to the audience to which they belong.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 06:45:33 PM »

Gangbuster Thorul, I think you hit it on the head.  

They are taking characters that by their very existence is part of one genre and trying to force them into a genre that they can't and never will fit.

It would be like taking the characters from Narnia and writing stories of them encountering the Cthulhu mythos.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »

Wonderful point Gangbuster. Like I said in another thread when talking about manga, in manga you have tons of genres each doing what they are best at wheras in american comics you have one genre trying to be everything for everybody and failing at what IT is best at in the process.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 07:40:12 PM »

Examples from the Golden and Silver Age of comics

Horror-Tales of the Unexpected

Sci-Fi-Lost in Space(This comic came out BEFORE the tv series and the characters are far different)

War-Sgt. Rock

Western-Jonah Hex

Romance-True Love

Kids-Hot Stuff, Richie Rich

Girls-Katy Keene

Teen Humor-Archie, Sabrina

Take al look at DC and Marvel now.
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 01:44:01 AM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
Examples from the Golden and Silver Age of comics

Horror-Tales of the Unexpected

Sci-Fi-Lost in Space(This comic came out BEFORE the tv series and the characters are far different)

War-Sgt. Rock

Western-Jonah Hex

Romance-True Love

Kids-Hot Stuff, Richie Rich

Girls-Katy Keene

Teen Humor-Archie, Sabrina

Take al look at DC and Marvel now.

Well Modern Horror (Bronze age) actually go back to Gold Key who was doing those types of comics allt he way back in the 1960's. You are right that the genre of comics in general has shrunk but for some of the above there are reasons.

Wastern  - burn out pure and simple.

Romance - what comic market it had was killed by bad soap opera stories.

Kids - done by Disney LONG before Hot stuff or Richie Rich even existed and as a kid I found those character boring.

Girls - the marketing morons cannot seem to get the idea that girl focued stuff sells and so go as far as to mangle girl focused stuff like Cardcapture into a mess to make it boy focused.

Teen Humor - uh other than the digests when is the last time you have even seen a Archie comic? AFAIK they are bascily living on past stories like DC did near the end of the Bronze age with their digest reprints.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 01:48:16 AM »

I was never sure about "girl"-focused stuff...

Lionel came out with a "girl" O gauge model train in the 60s that was pastel colors and sold so few that they are collector's items today...
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 03:38:12 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
I was never sure about "girl"-focused stuff...

Lionel came out with a "girl" O gauge model train in the 60s that was pastel colors and sold so few that they are collector's items today...

Ugh but that sound about the thinking (if it can even be called that) that the products managers do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L