superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some thoughts on Earth-2 Superman.  (Read 9322 times)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« on: October 25, 2005, 10:15:10 PM »

Maybe Jor-L did something to prevent Kal from having his full powers untill he was "ready" for them.  Why would Jor-L do that?  Maybe he knew something about the extent of the power Kal was about to gain on earth.  Jor wanted his son to be able to protect himself.  But no responsible scientist would entrust an infant with the power to easily destroy entire star systems.  How did Jor do it?  Probably some form of magic.  Something that limitted his access to a tiny fraction of his power untill he reached adulthood.  After that his access to his power increased the more he mastered his abilities.  The story where Metalo caused Kal to return the appearance (& power level) he had in the late 30s?  Maybe Metalo found a way to use Kal's supermind against him.  Like the way Lex Luthor used Kal-El's supermind against him.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:40:13 PM »

Perhaps the yellow sun had a strengthening effect on his abilities that took him reaching adulthood to really take, and which doesn't fade away (or if so, doesn't fade quickly) as a result of being exposed to a red sun as Earth-1's Superman does?
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 12:35:59 AM »

I've posted this before.  The official explanation according to Julius Schwartz is based on the difference in ages between when baby Kal-L arrived on Earth vs baby Kal-El.

Kal-El was two years old and had learned his motor reflexes in Krypton's extreme environment so he learned about his powers fairly rapidly.

Kal-L was a babe in arms with virtually no experience of Krypton's environment.  He learned to walk and develop his motor reflexes on Earth so he only gradually discovered the full scope and breadth of his powers.  He hadn't discovered the full extent of his powers when he first donned the cape.  He didn't fly since he didn't know he could and never had tried before.

The E-2 retcon of Kryptonians had them with some powers, most notably super-senses, on Krypton but the heavy gravity restricted their physical prowess.  Just the same, they were capable of hurdling buildings on their homeworld.  They were capable of much more on Earth with our puny gravity.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:21:21 AM »

So why didn't all the superpowered Earth-2 Kryptonians survive the explosion of Krypton?  Is invulnerability hit by the extreme G?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:41:07 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
So why didn't all the superpowered Earth-2 Kryptonians survive the explosion of Krypton?  Is invulnerability hit by the extreme G?

You should read the official origin of  Superman of Earth-2

http://superman.nu/tales2/e2-origin/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 01:46:16 AM »

Love the Boring artwork, and the first pages are a fine beginning of the GOLDEN age Supes...LOL... :lol:

Sorry, I tune the 70s and 80s out...in some ways, I hold them responsible for the Iron Age...I guess I tune out on more than the master mesmerizer or the Sand Saga...

Ah, not really... Cool  I read 'em now...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 02:00:26 AM »

Still feelin' the Silver Age love, though... Tongue
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 02:19:51 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
You should read the official origin of  Superman of Earth-2

The problem I have is that it's clear that the Earth-2 Superman eventually becomes nearly as strong, if not as strong, as Earth-1 Superman, far more powerful than the Earth-2 Kryptonians and early Earth-2 Superman.  Why?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L